• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Arceus & The Jewel of Life! (M12)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I remembered I haven't reviewed the last few movies, so I'm going to catch up.

I really enjoyed this movie a lot, it makes my top five along with Mewtwo Strikes Back, Pokemon 2000, 4Ever, and Mystery of Mew. The time travel thing may be done to death, but I still enjoyed the story anyway. The most interesting part about seeing the past was how owned pokemon used to be handled. It's also interesting that the time trip didn't change Arceus until *after* the twerps returned to the present. The part where the twerps start to disappear was scary, but otherwise I enjoyed the movie.

8.5/10

I think they made Arceus a little too weak without his plates. Like he actually seemed fazed by Pikachu's Thunderbolt, I mean like come on, it's like a god.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
In my opinion, this movie had the best plot line out of all the movies. I wasn't expecting
Ash and the gang to go back in time
which i thought was an interesting twist. It wasn't a predictable movie either.

ArceusAlpha493

Benevolent Creator
This movie became my most favorite and come to think of it, I wonder what would happen if Cyrus found out about the Michina Town incident and decides to use Arceus' power to create a new universe. Aside from this, I have a theory on why it took Arceus longer to remember Ash is that the near death experience was traumatic and possibly gave him nightmares while he was in a deep sleep.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
This was an okay movie. I didn't like the beginning, but it got a bit better as the film went on. I say "bit" because while it did somewhat tie everything up as the trilogy, I do wish they gave more hints in the previous movies. Because I swear that Sheena and what's-his-face basically showed up out of nowhere and proclaimed they were always there from the beginning. What are they, the Rainbow Faces of Land Before Time? Seriously, I do not remember seeing them in the previous two movies even in the credits. (But I'll be very happy to be proven wrong since my memory's not the best in the world.) Of course, big surprise, they turn out to be pretty bland characters. Damos at least had an attempt, I'll give them that (and it's not just because he was played by Dan Green). Marcus was just a dumb villain. His motive wasn't that great, though I read on TV Tropes that he is much worse in the manga. I hope that's true.

Another complaint is Arceus' voice. Oh God, does that voice sound awkward coming out of him. I don't know what the original sounds like, but I hear it perfectly fits the character. This sounded like he had a sore throat that he tried to cover up with his rage (which wasn't too bad, but I have to question the guy's voice acting skills). It got a bit tolerable by the end, but I'm never going to get that voice out of my head, as terrible as it sounds.

Also, I think Sheena's pretty stupid. Yeah, okay, she didn't really know Marcus' true intent, but she had to spill the beans about everything, and then when he hands her the scepter, she doesn't bother checking up on it to make sure it was the real one--and if she had checked up on it, she wouldn't have been tricked to be empty-handed upon approaching Arceus. Guess she's not such a bland character after all since she has a God-mode power that was never alluded to anywhere else and yet is stupid. Also, she looks stupid with her bushy eyebrows. Really, designers? That was what they went with? Eww...

Is it just me, or was Ash's only heroic moment this whole trilogy climbing Space-Time Tower to play Oración? He was more daring in this movie than he was in Sky Warrior, but it still wasn't much.

And though I knew everything would be back to normal, I find it ballsy that the writers had it the script "almost kill Ash and friends". Sure, they were in perilous situations before, but here they almost died. Erased out of existence. I wish this happened more in these movies, I swear they've become afraid to really kill off characters. Really, from movie ten to thirteen you have Disney deaths. Just kill someone off already, preferably the villain, sheesh.

So yeah, nothing too spectacular. It's more entertaining than Sky Warrior for sure (at least none of the characters are annoying like the bitchy Shaymin), but Rise of Darkrai has more of an emotional impact and memorable characters--particularly Darkrai. Music-wise, I'm not sure which is best, but "Oración" is the most memorable moment for me in all three movies. Helps it was visually beautiful. I wish it made a comeback in some form or another.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Oh Arceus, this movie was bad. This has mostly to do with Arceus as a character itself. First off, the voice... the voice!! It's so... bad. I'd rather have him not have a voice at all. Then the writing of its dialogue, with repeating the same line like three times over in the movie, it using "take this" and "alright". Really, come on? We're dealing with a supposedly godlike creature here.
Secondly, the legends say it is supposed to have created the world and the dimensions of time, space and reverse. Yet it has to offer a part of its very own life force to recover a patch of land. Urgh... how's that work?
Third, the supposedly godlike creature, with enough intelligence to use human speech, yet is so blinded by rage that it feels the need to destroy life on the entire planet for the betrayal by one man. No... just no.
Fourth, lol at GOD having its memory re-written at the end of the movie. Lol.

More lol for everyone in the past calling Pokémon 'magical creatures'. I mean, Pokémon are a normal thing in that world, why aren't they just called animals or something. Although this could maybe be an issue with the translating, I don't know what the original Japanese script uses.

That scene in the beginning when Pikachu and Piplup almost get sucked into another dimension and then get saved by Dialga. Ash going "cool" instead of freaking out over the entire lake turning into a water tornado and the sky transforming into a black hole, with the rest of his friends just smiling beside him. Yeah, totally natural reaction there. Also funny how they don't even bother trying to run from the 2nd time it happens, minutes after the first time. They just stand there.

The only thing I liked about this movie was the evil guy with the red hair (did he even have a name?)

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
This movie would have been a lot better IMO if Arceus just used its judgment (and actually say the words) to obliterate michina from existence moments before dialga sent the crew back in time.

Johanna

Old Fart
Seeing this thread, with nothing better to do, I've sat myself down to watch the movie.
I'm 26 minutes in, where the ruin guardians explain the universes, and I swear to Arceus - if Ash and c/o repeat any more words back to them, I'm going to flipping tear my hair out! I don't remember the Pokémon movies being this horribly contrived. Give me back Spell of the Unown!

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
One of the biggest weaknesses of this movie is the title character itself. First off, why is Arceus harmed by Pikachu? I know the plates that resisted electricity were gone, but I think the anime has shown alternatives to blocking lightning. Can't it just use the mind plate and telekinetically hold back the lightning? I think an abra already did that. He's a creator deity. Why didn't he just telekinetically kill all the humans?

Point two, did common sense go out the window in the whole prison scene? The guards didn't take their bags, and Ash and co. had their Pokemon, but didn't bother use them to blow the doors sky high? Can't you make Damos explain while on the way to stopping Marcus? It would shorten the movie.

Point three, time doesn't work that way. Ash and co. should have been fading in the past whether Arceus died or not. Since the jewel was returned in the past, the gang should not have been there. When they returned to the future, Arceus is still on its rampage. You cannot say that the events changed in the past still led to the rampage. Time doesn't work that way. If anything, the last two movies would have been retconned out of continuity because the past was so radically altered. Don't tell me that the pokemon world has different time rules. What time travel rules were in that one episode in AG still apply everywhere else in the series.

Point four, what's the point of having Team Rocket?

Point the fifth, Sheena didn't catch Marcus basically admitting to being evil? He asked her if silver water was used. Why did you not catch that?

Point six, the voice acting of Arceus.

Point seven, mind control? Really?

Last edited:

Gillachu

Banned
Arceus almost dying inside that cement liquid made me lol. For such a fearsome Pokemon, it wasn't as threatening as it should've been...

JudySpell

Banned
Dialga's time travel bit was fun but I didn't think Arceus was portrayed well enough since he seemed weak for a Pokemon god & poor Heatran. It barely did anything. 6/10

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I love this movie. Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Heatran and Arceus in one movie equals awesome movie. Fun seeing the Johto starters there. Rating:10/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked how this film's setting was inspired by Greece and Damos was a cool and memorable film protagonist. Dialga, Palkia and Giratina clashing was cool as well, plus I liked how Ash went back in time thanks to Dialga.

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
I actually quite enjoyed the movie but what killed it for me was the fact that you needed a jewel or plates to keep a god alive. I feel like Arceus should be immortal in the anime if not I think the plot should've been better. I think it would've been so much better if this movie was set up like Pokémon 4ever where Arceus is captured, becomes evil and the gang turns Arceus back to normal. That would've been awesome to see. Though it was still kind of epic with Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. Though I felt Arceus had a better presence in Hoopa and the Clash of Ages albeit a minor one.

I enjoyed every Pokémon movie but there are a couple movies that have certain problems that make me enjoy them less than other Pokémon movies. Arceus and the Jewel of Life was one of them.

ZilverLox

Banned
I liked the movie, but I guess I was expecting Arceus to sound more Godlike. I think the time travel plot and the villain were halfway boring. The action was great and all the attacks looked strong and beautiful thankfully. Also, Brock got like a minute of being awesome when he saved Sheena and Damos, without them everything would have been ruined. The animation of course was fantastic and TR was kind of just there.

zdbz_sn

When I went through all of these movies, I started with this one. Just 'cause. Didn't have much to say about it:

Why does the movie about God feel so much less majestic than one about magic birds and glowing glass balls? Why does God feel less impressive and more mundane than those birds, the pink kangaroo-cat and her clone, or Anubis Ninja? How does no one suspect the guy with red spiky hair as being bad news? Why does God sound like your blue-collar uncle with a bad cigarette habit, even when he’s not angry? Why does fixing the past come with a time delay when you return to the future? And why in a new generation would they introduce a Pokemon that’s an earlier stage in an evolutionary line when that makes no sense, because how could no one from Kanto ever have seen a Pichu before Gen II was announced, and why is Ash’s Pikachu so stubborn about evolving into a Raichu when he already evolved once, and I know I’m way off topic at this point but this bugged me so much as a kid and it was the first breaking point that drove me to bail before Johto!!!

But...yeah. Out of all the Sinnoh trilogy, this one felt the least padded, and helped clear up some of the murky plot mess of the earlier entries. The CotDs are serviceable if a little on the dull side. And this final chapter of the trilogy does aim the highest in its scope and scale, even if it doesn’t reach its goals. But Arceus’s terrible voice in the dub, and his rush to apocalyptic judgement, really hurt the character. And the main cast is worse off here than in the other entries, as Dawn ends up as sidelined as Brock in the finale.