• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Arceus & The Jewel of Life! (M12)

Cartoonami

To know the unkown
The probable reason Arceus's dub voice sounded like it did is because they wanted to imitate his original Japanese voice (for once.) That's a dignified justification on their part.

Cobalt_Latios

The probable reason Arceus's dub voice sounded like it did is because they wanted to imitate his original Japanese voice (for once.) That's a dignified justification on their part.
That makes me want to laugh at it more.

Also, this movie has a significant Tales of vibe going for it. It doesn't help that both Sheena and Kevin have that "look" to them that makes them seem very out of place. And then we have Arceus personality, the fact that he knows "Judgement"... yeah, you see where I'm going with this.

On another note, haven't watched the whole thing yet, but, they finally put a proper remix theme for the intro!!! AT LAST!!! PUSA finally gives us a decent extended theme for once (it isn't remixed at all, but I still liked it just the same).

1. Am I the only one that liked Arceus' voice? It was better than making it completely generic (deep, mysterious etc) he actually sounded scary, somewhat wise, and awesome imo, only helped by the fact he has some awesome lines. I also loved how Arceus was portrayed as some kind god, since it's said he created the world and gave life to Damos' land.
No, I liked it too. I actually wanted to hear it more often because of how hilarious it sounds. I mean, in the other topic, someone mentioned he sounds like Starscream. I mean, he's a god and he sounds like the largest ham of Transformers. How does one take him seriously!

Apparently, the voice of Arceus was Tim Werenko, it was his first role (normally he's a producer at DuArt) good on him, he did an excellent job for someone who isn't a voice actor.
Wow, he gets credit for making a decent Starscream impression.

<C_L>

Last edited:

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Someone tell me Marcus didn't try and drown Arse Yes in concrete...

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Saw the whole movie on youtube, and I was more than impressed. Amazing animation, for once "Battle Cry" didn't sound so annoying, and the storyline was a great way to end the trilogy. Arceus' voice was a little bit weird but I actually enjoyed it, it sounded strangely too close to the Japanese. ...Shame that they called Judgement, justice.

I didn't like how the Johto starters were placed into the movie. As someone else said, it felt as if they had just been put in last minute to promote HG/SS, Pichu was OK.

You have to love the dubbers - only they could get away with something like silverwater....

Cobalt_Latios

Haha, silverwater apparently, I was like 'what'.

The drowning in concrete thing was dark.
Upon thinking on this, Marcus was 'effin lazy. Think about it: he was under the impression that without the Jewel of Life, the whole area would return to a wasteland. What he failed to realize, was that you have to work to maintain things. By Arceus, he fails.

Also, I know for a fact that despite the Celebi movie having a character be from the past, and the 8th movie dealing with a medieval past, this is the first time the main characters went to the past to fix things.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but was Damos voiced by Dan Green? It sure sounded like it. On that note, who voiced Sheena, Kevin and Marcus?

Also, am I the only one who thought Heatran was... small? It's a legendary, and it's not very big. I was thinking it would at least by Torterra's size.

Team Rocket were, once again, reduced to comic relief. Although, the funniest part for them was when they were inside the ruins of the kitchen of the castle. Simply knowing what it actually was was the icing on the cake there.

Overall, the conclusion to the trilogy wasn't bad. Although, I'm somewhat miffed that Ash didn't mention that they had been to Alamos, and the Glacier (considering he mentioned that he had been in Alamos back in movie 11).

So, with that said, I rather enjoyed it.

<C_L>

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
I would have been just fine had Arceus not spoken at all. I think the fact that he spoke took away from the fact that he was supposed to be consumed by this blinding rage. I personally think it would have attested a lot more to his show of character had he been completely silent. Let's ignore the fact that his voice was terrible.

It really sucks that the 'evil' guy died in the end. He, like several other Pokemon villains, was only doing what he thought was in the best interest of everyone. Yes, he was cruel and deceitful, but though he wasn't willing to take the fall for his actions, thus making him a coward, I believe his intentions were good. He didn't seem to like Pokemon much, though. I would've rather he gotten a chance to at least redeem himself through hard work and effort.

The whole time-traveling thing REALLY didn't make much sense. On one-hand, Deimos lived where-as before, he died. The entire timeline should've changed. The shrine should've been in a state of better repair, as Arceus didn't destroy it. Finally, how would Sheena and Kevin have actually met Ash and the group had Arceus not attacked in the first place. All the events the past movies shouldn't have happened. But oh well, time travel's a ***** to work out properly.

Palkia owned the battle. His force field was pretty awesome. Giratina's Shadow Force got dodged, and I laughed. I'm still quite confused at how Arceus managed to absorb Time Roar and Spacial Rend when BOTH moves are Dragon-type, and Arceus didn't have the Dragon Plate.

Cobalt_Latios

I would have been just fine had Arceus not spoken at all. I think the fact that he spoke took away from the fact that he was supposed to be consumed by this blinding rage. I personally think it would have attested a lot more to his show of character had he been completely silent. Let's ignore the fact that his voice was terrible.
True, but let's not forget that Arceus had no facial expression. At least Dialga, Palkia and Giratina moved their eyes and mouths, Arceus was completely stoic (or whatever the proper term is called).

You know what got on my nerves more than this: Arceus is supposed to be the pnultimate Pokemon, correct? He's the god of all Pokemon, and the creator of their world. In the 10th movie, both Dialga and Palkia are named "deitys", correct? Was Arceus ever mentioned to be this, once? I don't think. Giratina, I'm fine with. It's more of the lord of the "underworld", so to speak, while Arceus, is a god, and he isn't referred to as such, which was inconsistent (and of course, Ash recognizing Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina, while completely forgetting that every area Kevin and Sheena had visited, guess what, they were there as well. He could have at least said, oh yeah, I remember that event. I mean, he mentioned having been there in movie 11, why not here?)

It really sucks that the 'evil' guy died in the end. He, like several other Pokemon villains, was only doing what he thought was in the best interest of everyone. Yes, he was cruel and deceitful, but though he wasn't willing to take the fall for his actions, thus making him a coward, I believe his intentions were good. He didn't seem to like Pokemon much, though. I would've rather he gotten a chance to at least redeem himself through hard work and effort.
Namely, this is the first almost on-screen death of a character. Lawrence III, Iron Masked Marauder, Annie+Oakley, Butler (different case, but still), Phantom, Alberto, all survived.

Also, he was probably one of the better movie villains. He was rather clever in deceiving Arceus (and Sheena, though it wasn't completely her fault, she's just a bad judge of character. Not to mention when he asks about that Silver... stuff, she's a bit dumbfounded), but too stubborn (and a bit lazy) to realize that, "oh, the Jewel of Life isn't meant as a long term thing, it's merely meant to get us started, and we have to work to maintain things". That's in response to the bold. He likes others doing the work, not so much himself.

Also, him not liking Pokemon was ironic (a really bad pun, I know), as he had a Heatran (wth??), and a Bronzong. Although, I do love how they turn on him in the end. Makes me think they didn't like doing his bidding all that much.

Also of note: this is the first time Ash and co. have been behind prison bars in an actual dungeon (there are a couple of none movie examples, but... let's not get technical here).

The whole time-traveling thing REALLY didn't make much sense.
Does it ever? :rolleyes:

On one-hand, Deimos lived where-as before, he died. The entire timeline should've changed. The shrine should've been in a state of better repair, as Arceus didn't destroy it.
Meh, maybe they never got around to it, or they were just a bit preoccupied with the surrounding area. I'm not gonna go into detail on this one.

Finally, how would Sheena and Kevin have actually met Ash and the group had Arceus not attacked in the first place. All the events the past movies shouldn't have happened. But oh well, time travel's a ***** to work out properly.
Not to mention, Dialga sent them back in time. A time god, don't forget. He can do whatever he wants with the timeline if he so chooses.

Palkia owned the battle. His force field was pretty awesome. Giratina's Shadow Force got dodged, and I laughed. I'm still quite confused at how Arceus managed to absorb Time Roar and Spacial Rend when BOTH moves are Dragon-type, and Arceus didn't have the Dragon Plate.
Even worse? Sure, Pikachu is able to harm Arceus (still debating this one), but Palkia is part water type (remember, no Water plate), and didn't bother using any water based moves. Yeah, I laughed a bit at Giratina's Shadow Force missing, but Arceus did have the Spooky Plate (or, whatever it's called).

Also, can anyone think of why Arceus's memory resembles that of a computer shifting through files? I mean, Giratina remembering Ash was easy, but Arceus? It looked like a computer speeding through tons of files while going to remember Ash. Sure, he did, and that seemed to fix things. Then he restores the surrounding area (he's a god, I let that one slide), and it looks like friggin' bits of data!! Granted, I'm guessing it's because the animators probably weren't completely sure of what to use to represent "Arceus's power", but still, it makes it look like somekind of living computer.

Finally, Arceus's voice. After a while, I think it served it nicely. Considering it's status of Alpha God, I'm gonna let slide the fact that it can't talk telepathically because of it being a Normal type. On the subject of Arceus, Judgement looked awesome (and not surprisingly, very similar to the Tales of version of said attack; raining down bolts of energy on the surrounding area), and what was that powdery attack it used a few times? Maybe it was like that blob move that Giratina used a few times; it doesn't have a name.

Eh, good movie, Ash is now engraved into a tablet depicting the saving of Arceus. Even if he doesn't succeed at being a Pokemon Master, he's got enough credit through having been part of a legend (the Orange Island one doesn't count; that was mere coincidence, especially considering how weirdly written that one was).

Bonus points for anyone who noticed that bridge with Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile's picture engraved into the inside of it. It's during the "fixing" sequence.

<C_L>

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Ash is now engraved into a tablet depicting the saving of Arceus. Even if he doesn't succeed at being a Pokemon Master, he's got enough credit through having been part of a legend (the Orange Island one doesn't count; that was mere coincidence, especially considering how weirdly written that one was).
Well Dawn, Piplup & Pikachu can also be seen in that tablet as well including Sheena & Marcus (i think). The only one missing there is Brock from the looks of it.
But i do agree that this is the second instant that a legend pointing towards Ash was used in a movie ("The Thunder Creature & its Master" in this movie & the "World would turn to Ash" thing in the second movie). It would have been better if they told more about that legend in this movie.
Giratina's Shadow Force got dodged, and I laughed. I'm still quite confused at how Arceus managed to absorb Time Roar and Spacial Rend when BOTH moves are Dragon-type, and Arceus didn't have the Dragon Plate.
If i am right Palkia or Dialga never used there signature attacks against Arceus. The only attacks which i remember them using against Arceus are Hyper Beam by Dialga, Aura Sphere & that Space Trapping move by Palkia & Giratina used that Blue & Orange coloured flame attacks whose name i don't know.
As, for Arceus using Draco plate to counter Dragon type moves it would have been a mistake because if we consider the type match-up Dragon type moves are strong against Dragon type pokemon.
As for the forms Arceus used in the movie would be Poison or Ghost & Fire (by my understanding).
As for Giratina's Shadow Force missing Arceus, it could easily be explained as Arcues without using any plates would be a Normal type pokemon & Ghost type attacks don't work on them.

Even worse? Sure, Pikachu is able to harm Arceus (still debating this one),
Well i think the reason Arceus was damaged because of Pikachu's or other pokemon's electric attack was not only because Arceus was missing the Electric plate but rather because he was also missing his Ground, Grass & Dragon plates which serve as a counter to electric attacks.
And similarly, i think one of the reasons why the "Silver Water" was able have some effect on Arceus was also because he was missing the counters for Water type moves.

Last edited:

Cartoonami

To know the unkown
Maybe someday we'll go back to having a Pokemon movie who's star can't talk at all.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Maybe someday we'll go back to having a Pokemon movie who's star can't talk at all.

As a reference, here is a list of pokemon which were able to speak in a movie till now (other than our regular TR's Meowth),

Movie 01 - Mewtwo
Movie 02 - Lugia, Slowking
Movie 03 - Illusion Entei
Movie 04 - None of the pokemon
Movie 05 - None of the pokemon
Movie 06 - Jirachi
Movie 07 - None of the pokemon
Movie 08 - Lucario
Movie 09 - Technically none of the pokemon unless you count Manaphy's attempts at speaking.
Movie 10 - Darkrai
Movie 11 - Shaymin
Movie 12 - Arceus

So based on this we had only four movies (three if we don't count Manaphy here) till now in a total of 12 movies which didn't have a pokemon which could speak. So, your statement here is a bit odd i think.

Last edited:

Cobalt_Latios

Well Dawn, Piplup & Pikachu can also be seen in that tablet as well including Sheena & Marcus (i think). The only one missing there is Brock from the looks of it.
You mean Deimos (don't worry, I keep thinking Marcus too, a much easier name... Arceus dammit!!!). I think Brock is there... I'd have to double check.

But i do agree that this is the second instant that a legend pointing towards Ash was used in a movie ("The Thunder Creature & its Master" in this movie & the "World would turn to Ash" thing in the second movie). It would have been better if they told more about that legend in this movie.
As I mentioned, I find the 2nd movie more "coincidental". You could interpret "the world shall to ash", as literally "the world is burned to ashes". But... we have a character named Ash, so you could debate it.

Holy!!!! I just realized something:

When Sheena and Kevin meet Ash an co, they mention the whole Thunder creature and his Master legend, right? Now... considering timetravel (maybe ignoring the tablet as well... who knows), it's easy to think they may be talking about Ash even though they aren't aware of it. So, if they're referring to the tablet even before the timetravel...

Yes, I know it's confusing, blame Dialga; he's the one calling the shots (quite literally too).

This whole thing reminds me of that movie TimeLine. I mean, everything almost fits. Except no one stays in the past.

Well i think the reason Arceus was damaged because of Pikachu's or other pokemon's electric attack was not only because Arceus was missing the Electric plate but rather because he was also missing his Ground, Grass & Dragon plates which serve as a counter to electric attacks.
No, I'm aware of that. Hell, Kevin himself states that Arceus is missing the Thunder Plate and so would be weak to it.

And similarly, i think one of the reasons why the "Silver Water" was able have some effect on Arceus was also because he was missing the counters for Water type moves.
It was quick dry cement. That'll have an effect whether they were weak to it or not. Considering he was being zapped by electric attacks, he wasn't exactly in a state to get himself out of it even if he actually wanted to.

<C_L>

Cartoonami

To know the unkown
As a reference, here is a list of pokemon which were able to speak in a movie till now (other than our regular TR's Meowth),

Movie 01 - Mewtwo
Movie 02 - Lugia, Slowking
Movie 03 - Illusion Entei
Movie 04 - None of the pokemon
Movie 05 - None of the pokemon
Movie 06 - Jirachi
Movie 07 - None of the pokemon
Movie 08 - Lucario
Movie 09 - Technically none of the pokemon unless you count Manaphy's attempts at speaking.
Movie 10 - Darkrai
Movie 11 - Shaymin
Movie 12 - Arceus

So based on this we had only four movies (three if we don't count Manaphy here) till now in a total of 12 movies which didn't have a pokemon which could speak. So, your statement here is a bit odd i think.

Relatively speaking, we haven't had a movie without a talking Pokemon in 5 years, so it just feels like it's been a while.

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
True, but let's not forget that Arceus had no facial expression. At least Dialga, Palkia and Giratina moved their eyes and mouths, Arceus was completely stoic (or whatever the proper term is called).
Even those, it's possible to derive some feeling by body language. Even without a mouth, it'd be possible, probably through stance if Arceus wouldn't be capable of any sound at all.

You know what got on my nerves more than this: Arceus is supposed to be the pnultimate Pokemon, correct? He's the god of all Pokemon, and the creator of their world. In the 10th movie, both Dialga and Palkia are named "deitys", correct? Was Arceus ever mentioned to be this, once? I don't think. Giratina, I'm fine with. It's more of the lord of the "underworld", so to speak, while Arceus, is a god, and he isn't referred to as such, which was inconsistent (and of course, Ash recognizing Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina, while completely forgetting that every area Kevin and Sheena had visited, guess what, they were there as well. He could have at least said, oh yeah, I remember that event. I mean, he mentioned having been there in movie 11, why not here?)
So, Ash has met the God of the universe, the gods of space, time, and the lord of the underworld. Soon, he'll be involved with the deities of will, emotion and knowledge... seriously, by the end of this show, if there is no reason for him meeting these pokemon, I'm gonna be upset.

Namely, this is the first almost on-screen death of a character. Lawrence III, Iron Masked Marauder, Annie+Oakley, Butler (different case, but still), Phantom, Alberto, all survived.
It probably would have been too much effort to determine how his life would've affected the timeline. I still think he could've redeemed himself... eventually. Despite his flaws, he still had good, if fearful, intentions. No one deserves to die like he did.

Also, he was probably one of the better movie villains. He was rather clever in deceiving Arceus (and Sheena, though it wasn't completely her fault, she's just a bad judge of character. Not to mention when he asks about that Silver... stuff, she's a bit dumbfounded), but too stubborn (and a bit lazy) to realize that, "oh, the Jewel of Life isn't meant as a long term thing, it's merely meant to get us started, and we have to work to maintain things". That's in response to the bold. He likes others doing the work, not so much himself.
I agree.

Even worse? Sure, Pikachu is able to harm Arceus (still debating this one), but Palkia is part water type (remember, no Water plate), and didn't bother using any water based moves. Yeah, I laughed a bit at Giratina's Shadow Force missing, but Arceus did have the Spooky Plate (or, whatever it's called).
I don't think Pikachu injured him, so much as stunned him with the realization that he could be damaged. But for all his offensive power, he really wasn't that strong defensively. I do wish Nintendo would update his ability in-game, cause I think that'd be awesome. Multi-type: The user changes type and form to match the plate it holds, becoming immune to that type.

Also, can anyone think of why Arceus's memory resembles that of a computer shifting through files? I mean, Giratina remembering Ash was easy, but Arceus? It looked like a computer speeding through tons of files while going to remember Ash. Sure, he did, and that seemed to fix things. Then he restores the surrounding area (he's a god, I let that one slide), and it looks like friggin' bits of data!! Granted, I'm guessing it's because the animators probably weren't completely sure of what to use to represent "Arceus's power", but still, it makes it look like somekind of living computer.
They probably should've expanded on it more. I wouldn't have minded Arceus being portrayed as a calculating machine.

Cobalt_Latios

Even those, it's possible to derive some feeling by body language. Even without a mouth, it'd be possible, probably through stance if Arceus wouldn't be capable of any sound at all.
He had "glowing red eyes" when he was pissed off, so that qualifies. Not in the best of ways, but it does work.

On that note, I was certain Arceus had a mouth. Or... does it?

It probably would have been too much effort to determine how his life would've affected the timeline. I still think he could've redeemed himself... eventually. Despite his flaws, he still had good, if fearful, intentions. No one deserves to die like he did.
Wrong place, at the wrong time. He didn't deserve to die, true, but he did. Considering how things worked in the "medieval" ages, stuff like that happens rather often.

I don't think Pikachu injured him, so much as stunned him with the realization that he could be damaged. But for all his offensive power, he really wasn't that strong defensively. I do wish Nintendo would update his ability in-game, cause I think that'd be awesome. Multi-type: The user changes type and form to match the plate it holds, becoming immune to that type.
It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but in the movie, he had 11 plates on him. He could easily shift between any of them when needed. You can't do that in-game (he would then become the cheapest Pokemon in existence).

They probably should've expanded on it more. I wouldn't have minded Arceus being portrayed as a calculating machine.
Meh, it's a Pokemon movie, they can do just about anything they want. I was just a bit weirded by the use of "data" to represent it's "memory". While it works, it just feels out of place.

Although, I did enjoy an interesting parallel they did for it to another fictional "god" (very minor, but I still find it interesting).

<C_L>

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
arceus does have a mouth actually it just hardly moves it if you look at the line and arceus with splash plate is the coolest looking arceus hands down

nuff said

hydroforge

Steel Type Master
I didn't see the movie because I don't have Pay TV, but did Jessie's Wobbuffet appear at all? I don't remember seeing it in Serebii's episode pics...

Yeah only just for the obligatory "WOOOOBBUFEEEEET".

I missed the Friday premier because I had to go out, I missed the Saturday re-run because I was still asleep. I finally got to watch it last night (Tuesday).

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
You mean Deimos (don't worry, I keep thinking Marcus too, a much easier name... Arceus dammit!!!). I think Brock is there... I'd have to double check.
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention Damos was also present in that tablet including Ash, Dawn & Marcus. Here is a pic of that,
[IMG139]http://i35.*******.com/1z3q77s.png[/IMG139]
On the left,
Marcus (behind him some other pokemons are there), Dawn (Piplup in between Dawn & Ash), Ash & Pikachu below him.
On the right,
Pichu, Damos, Sheena & behind her Chikorita.
As I mentioned, I find the 2nd movie more "coincidental". You could interpret "the world shall to ash", as literally "the world is burned to ashes". But... we have a character named Ash, so you could debate it.
Well we just have to know what was the legend in the original japanese version of the movie, that should clear up a lot of things regarding that legend.
Who died in this movie, as much as i remember no one died.
And if you are talking about Marcus he is shown alive at the end, didn't you people notice him during the movie ending song working along with Damos. Here is a pic of it,
[IMG139]http://i36.*******.com/2wdddud.png[/IMG139]

Last edited:

Cocoajones

Arecus was not the First pokemon it was MEW. Mew was introduce in 1995 as the first pokemon. Then in 2009 Game Freak said Arecus was the first, That doesn't make since, They have messed the story line.