• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Arceus & The Jewel of Life! (M12)

I felt that of the DP movie trilogy, this was the weakest point since we got so much nonsense like time travel and the fact that TR was handled so poorly.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I felt that of the DP movie trilogy, this was the weakest point since we got so much nonsense like time travel and the fact that TR was handled so poorly.

Eh, TR usually receive the short end of the stick in most of the movies though tbh, so this wasn't really an issue exclusive to the Arceus movie.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was glad to see the Shinou saga's movie trilogy come to an end here, because I didn't enjoy it much overall. Arceus seemed less than stellar and almost as vacuous as most Legendary Pokemon, which was a slight disappointment considering its hype. I was amazed by how useful Sheena was to the plot however, and Dialga managed to have the most relevance compared to Palkia and Giratina.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Palkia and Giratina coming back felt silly since they didn't do much. Dialga was amazing though and I liked the Spiky-ear Pichu even though it was mostly a cheap HGSS tie-in.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Dialga was amazing though and I liked the Spiky-ear Pichu even though it was mostly a cheap HGSS tie-in.

Strangely enough, I didn't feel that the Gizamimi Pichu was shoved in our faces that much in this movie. I had feared that it would be shown too much as a way of promoting HG/SS, but it didn't end up becoming a nuisance after all, which was refreshing.

Daizy

I call you honey
Arceus seemed much more ordinary than I was expecting and his voice rocked. I liked his past flashbacks also and Damos was an interesting character.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Arceus seemed much more ordinary than I was expecting and his voice rocked. I liked his past flashbacks also and Damos was an interesting character.

Arceus being less deified in this movie than originally expected was a good thing from my viewpoint, because we'd seen enough overpowered Mythical Pokemon in previous movies.

Daizy

I call you honey
If I remember right Arceus saved the earth from the meteor and he was dying, but survived thanks to Damos getting the Plates. Then Arceus slept until it was time to collect the Jewel of Life again, but I'm kinda confused about the timeline concerning Arceus and the times when it actually wakes up.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
This should air on Disney XD several times on Easter weekend each year. Considering Arceus is basically God in Pokemon and sister channel ABC airs The Ten Commandments on Easter each year it makes sense.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pikachu Fan Number Nine said:
This should air on Disney XD several times on Easter weekend each year. Considering Arceus is basically God in Pokemon and sister channel ABC airs The Ten Commandments on Easter each year it makes sense.

Disney XD is a children's channel however, and a very secular one at that. So I wouldn't expect them to make any religious allusions by showing this Arceus movie during Easter.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
This movie sure tried hard to make Arceus into some powerful deity until near the end of the movie when that silvery liquid was able to trap Arceus and it needed help from Ash to survive. I really liked Dialga's role here since it was responsible for sending Ash back in time and it just sucks how Palkia and Giratina weren't used as efficiently as Dialga was.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The fight choreography, though better than Rise of Darkrai, still was pretty poor. While Palkia distorted space, the fighting consisted mostly of shooting beams at each other which was a bit of a letdown considering how powerful these beings are supposed to be.

Also, we really didn't need to see Damos betray Arceus twice. We had one exposition dumb at the beginning of the movie and a time travel expositional dumb at the middle. It's not an effective use of time or budget.

Leonhart

Imagineer
U.N. Owen said:
The fight choreography, though better than Rise of Darkrai, still was pretty poor. While Palkia distorted space, the fighting consisted mostly of shooting beams at each other which was a bit of a letdown considering how powerful these beings are supposed to be.

Isn't that what most of the battles consist of in the movies in general? I can't remember any of the previous movies ever having particularly good battle choreography except maybe the third movie during Entei versus Lizardon, and even then they mostly kept shooting streams of fire at each other from what I recall. So seeing the Legendary Shinou Pokemon engage in a beam battle here didn't seem that out of the ordinary to me.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Isn't that what most of the battles consist of in the movies in general? I can't remember any of the previous movies ever having particularly good battle choreography except maybe the third movie during Entei versus Lizardon, and even then they mostly kept shooting streams of fire at each other from what I recall. So seeing the Legendary Shinou Pokemon engage in a beam battle here didn't seem that out of the ordinary to me.
They should recruit martial artists to help them doing great battle choreographies especially in close range combats. But they would apply well with Pokemons that walks on 2 legs though, as Pokemons with 4 legs such as the Sinnoh Legendaries it's less obvious to do them, as they're so bulky.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet

Please tell me this a joke. The 10 Commandments movie fits the Easter holiday because Judaism is the root of Christianity, but what the hell does a movie about a cartoon llama deity have to do with Jesus Christ's death and resurrection?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Please tell me this a joke. The 10 Commandments movie fits the Easter holiday because Judaism is the root of Christianity, but what the hell does a movie about a cartoon llama deity have to do with Jesus Christ's death and resurrection?
“Arceus used Judgment!” That’s probably why Ubermuk said it. Christianity is full of judgments of all types from the story of Noah’s Ark to the end of days in Revelations. I think it was supposed to be a joke as well. Arceus was also sort of resurrected in the movie.

BobbbidyBob

Arceus was no god in this movie....just a whiny piece of yak dung

beanDude

Reviewer
Just watched this one today and here's my initial thoughts:
The movie gets off to a rough start pacing-wise. There's a lot of exposition and plot that seems way too convenient. After all that is out of the way though, it gets good. It was very entertaining how the whole backstory to Arceus being betrayed is first told as a story, then the main characters go back in time to witness how Arceus was betrayed and overpowered, and then they are sent further back in time only for the real antagonist to make a few small changes to his plan and almost succeed in doing the same thing twice in the same movie. The main characters almost even get Back to the Future'd out of existence. I like that the movie committed to a serious tone and gave the story the weight it deserves. While one of my favorite things about the Pokemon anime is its combination of stupid and genuinely funny humor, I think it works incredibly well when higher stakes cause for a shift in tone. This is why I think the worst thing in the movie is easily Team Rocket.

Why? Because they add absolutely nothing to the plot. Mewtwo Strikes Back also toned down Team Rocket's humor, except in that movie it still made sense to have them there since they played a major role in the audience seeing Mewtwo's cloning operation, and they still managed to occasionally have humorous moments here and there without it feeling forced.

In Jewel of Life, they were completely out of character. Like, I know Jessie, James, and Meowth aren't exactly competent at what they do, but at the same time, they're not idiots. They literally hear about the power and destruction that is coming and still just casually talk about snagging the Jewel of Life. They even talk about capturing Arceus. I don't think I need to elaborate on how dumb this is. In the past these three have proven time and time again that they know when they are in over their head, even in other movies. I guess since Team Rocket was like contractually obligated to show up in every episode and movie of the anime thus far, they were just thrown in a few scenes just so the people directing it could say they're in the movie.

That being said, Team Rocket are so far in the background the whole movie that I don't care as much about their poor characterization as I would have if they were front and center. The stuff this movie does right, it really does right. Visually, its stunning. There were so many moments and scenes where I almost got distracted by how vivid and beautiful the use of color and lighting were. Despite the fact that Pokemon takes place in modern times, this movie takes place entirely in a setting of nature, ruins, and an ancient civilization. This leads to a very visually distinct movie which features almost no modern technology with the exception of Poke' balls. The orchestral score, while not as memorable as some of the earlier movies, sets the mood perfectly. I also like how they didn't try to force any sappiness out the movie's climax in the same way Voice of the Forest did.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one, but man it started out messy.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
In my childhood this was easily my fav Pokemon movie ever and now I still regard it among the greats like the first movie, Lucario and the mystery of mew, I choose you and Power of Us