• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Comics Discussion Thread

TheGreaterLucario

I've never really seen a specific thread for this, so I've decided to make one. This is a place where fans of the Archie Sonic Comics can talk about things in the comics. Really the only rules are to be respectful (and thus abide by the SPFF forum rules) and to only post on this thread if you are a fan of the comics. In other words, no hater postings like "Oh, thoze comics suck. How can you read thoze?" please.

With that said, have fun!

Nion

Passionate Trainer
I used to read the early issues. I am surprised that the comic is still going because it's been so long. How old is Sonic in the comic now?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I've been reading since the Issue 90s. I like the format of Sonic Universe a great deal more than the main book. I can't wait for us to return to the " random arch " format.

How old is Sonic in the comic now?

17, but he's 16 biologically because aliens.

Rowdy

They should be finishing up the Sonic/Megaman 12 issue cross over this month as well I think, or have finished it already.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Worlds Collide is finished for subscribers. If you get your comics in person they're on Issue 9/10 of 12.

I'm waiting for the inevitable Graphic Novel release. I wish they'd release them faster because I like them more than the individual issues.

TheGreaterLucario

Well, it looks like The Worlds Collide ark is coming to an end. I've read what synopsis data the wiki has for the first two issues to occur after Worlds Collide, and I found something interesting:

SPOILER WARNING!

In the second issue to come after Worlds Collide, apparently the effects of the Wily-Egg Genesis Wave will bring Antoine out of his coma. Also, apparently an "unexpected character" will appear in the company of Uncle Chuck.

END SPOILERS.

....Could this "unexpected character" possibly be Sally?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
There is a spoiler tag you knooow.

[spoil]Countdown to Chaos (the arch after Worlds Collide) will be a re-introduction of the non-Sega Freedom Fighters: Sally, Antoine, Rotor, Bunnie, and Nicole. They'll all be sporting new SegaSonic (Game) inspired looks. It's being treated like a soft reboot.

Some hints were dropped about the new character with Chuck. I think it's leaning in the direction of them being either Sally or Antoine. Whoever it is, they're a character from the SatAM cartoon which is the only hint I actually remember.[/spoil]

Rowdy

It's been a long while since I was able to read Sonic comics due to all local stores having a sporadic release for just the main series (never seen Universe around) so apart from the World's Collide arc, I'm behind on a lot of things.

Question from what I have seen. Is Knuckles back to being the last Echidna who's physically ON Mobius?

TheGreaterLucario

It's been a long while since I was able to read Sonic comics due to all local stores having a sporadic release for just the main series (never seen Universe around) so apart from the World's Collide arc, I'm behind on a lot of things.

Question from what I have seen. Is Knuckles back to being the last Echidna who's physically ON Mobius?

At least for now..... (No thanks to Thrash the Tasmanian Devil...) ...So now both Knux AND Sonic have lost their respective girlfriends...

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
Wow, it's been a while since I've actually read the comics. I've just been roughly up-to-date by Mobius Encyclopaedia.
On a side note, I like what they're doing to Megaman to help him climb back up to glory. He was dearly missed. However, I'm not liking how they're leaving Sally in dubious fates. The one before the Genesis arc was enough, why do they have to treat her like some kind of punching bag? :/

At least for now..... (No thanks to Thrash the Tasmanian Devil...) ...So now both Knux AND Sonic have lost their respective girlfriends...

Wait... How did Knux lose Julie? I'm not aware of the events in that arc.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Is Knuckles back to being the last Echidna who's physically ON Mobius?

Dr. Finitevus is still around.

Wait... How did Knux lose Julie?

Thrash threw her, Saffron, Lien-da, Knuckles' mom, and hundreds of other echindas into a pocket dimension. That's the official reason given, but in truth there are legal problems going on in the comic now and they had to figure out a way to make about 50 characters disappear in the middle of an arch about them. *cough-cough*

Rowdy

Dr. Finitevus is still around.

Thrash threw her, Saffron, Lien-da, Knuckles' mom, and hundreds of other echindas into a pocket dimension. That's the official reason given, but in truth there are legal problems going on in the comic now and they had to figure out a way to make about 50 characters disappear in the middle of an arch about them. *cough-cough*

What kind of legal issues and does it have anything to do with a possible reboot I've heard about that's coming?

⊙ᴗ⊙
Heeeey~

I love the Archie Comics, I'm pleasantly surprised there's actually a thread for it here, considering that even the Sonic forum I used to frequent had a pretty slow going one.

Anyways, I've read all the way up to the Worlds Collide crossover. I plan to eventually get to it, but I'm not all too knowledgeable about Mega Man, so I'm a little skeptical about jumping in. In the meantime, I just plan to sit in suspense until something is announced on Shard's condition. I ran an ask blog on the guy for awhile and that cliffhanger at the end of SU50 absolutely killed me.

And if nothing comes up soon, at least there's going to be some Bean and Marine shenanigans coming up in the next SU arc to tide me over.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
What kind of legal issues and does it have anything to do with a possible reboot I've heard about that's coming?

Oh boy ... well ...

One of the former writers is attempting to claim copyright on every character that he created on the book. Due to a technicality he actually has a land to stand on in court and things have gone South fast since then. In the end it appears as though he's obtained the rights to use his created characters in a planned Graphic Novel that is in no way endorsed by Sega, but he has to skirt around referring to certain Sega Characters officially and drastically change his character designs so they don't look like Sonic characters. He is also taking Sega and EA to court over Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood claiming that they infringed on his copyright by creating a story and characters very similar to his own. Since the Archie case was apparently settled the Sega/EA Case is going forward.

The gray area is who owns what since Archie and Penders (the writer) are claiming different things. Right now we're assuming that the situation is a stalemate and Archie is just going to get rid of the bulk of the affected characters and keep at least two that are counterparts to their SegaSonic characters (Sonic and Scourge the Hedgehog and Eggman and Robo-Robotnik). It seems like the mass-ditching of these characters was something of a long-term plan but had to be sped along after some decisions made in court.

Characters that seem to be affected are ... (spoilered for size)
[spoil]Every relative of Knuckles' including Dimitri, Lara-Su, Lara-Le, Lien-da, and Julie-Su. Lara-Le, Julie-Su, and Lien-da were all thrown into the pit by Thrash in Endangered Species. Knuckles' daughter Lara-Su is the main character of Pender's Graphic Novel.

The vast majority of the children from Mobius: X Years Later. Sonic/Sally's kids, Vector's son, Lien-da's son, Espio's daughters, and probably Tails' children. Bunnie/Antoine's kids were created by the current writer.

Charmy's fiance/caretaker Saffron Bee who was thrown into the pocket dimension with Julie-Su. Since all of Charmy's relatives were created by Penders he is now the last Golden Hive Bee on Mobius.

Sonic's mom Bernie and dad Jules. Sir Charles Hedgehog (Uncle Chuck) is a SatAM character which means he's safe.

Sally's brother King Elias and mother Lady Alicia. Elias' wife (Megan) and step-daughter (Alexis) are safe. Sally's father King Max is a SatAM character so should be safe.

Geoffery St. John and his wife Hershey. Both are confirmed to have some part in Pender's Graphic Novel.

Amy's cousin King Rob, his wife Mari-An, and their son John. They were replaced by Bow Sparrow and Thorn the Lop in the recent Chaotix Arch.

The Secret Freedom Fighters Lyco and Leeta. The Secret Freedom Fighters were disbanded after their last mission so we just might not ever see them again.

Councilors Hamlin, Penelope, and Dylan. It's unlikely they'll still be a Council after the reboot because of this. Tails' mom Councilor Rosemary is technically safe, but unlikely to return for other reasons. Larry Lynx/Joker is also technically safe.

Robo-Robotnik/Eggman is a character confirmed safe by Archie but Penders is saying some weird things in regards to him. Technically, he did introduce the character who went on to become Eggman in the comics. Apparently he can use Robo-Robotnik in his Graphic Novel but he can't call him by that name. Same case for Scourge the Hedgehog.

There are some more minor characters in dispute but that's the bulk of the significant ones. Basically almost every non-Sega character that was introduced in the 32-Issue Knuckles series will likely not return[/spoil]

So now we're getting a soft-reboot that resulted in a massive character shuffle/revamping. Conveniently enough some of those disputed characters are going to be stuck somewhere for a while from the sound of things.

The soft-reboot was in the works for a long time before this all came to light. They started laying the groundwork for it shortly before Sonic 200. Sega wanted it because they figured a fresh coat of paint (revamps) and a lot less baggage will help bring in new readers who are accustomed to the games but liked what they saw in Sonic: Genesis/Worlds Collide.

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
[spoil]

Some hints were dropped about the new character with Chuck. I think it's leaning in the direction of them being either Sally or Antoine. Whoever it is, they're a character from the SatAM cartoon which is the only hint I actually remember.[/spoil]

Original Ivo Kintobor (a.k.a. Original Dr. Robotnik)?

Rowdy

Original Ivo Kintobor (a.k.a. Original Dr. Robotnik)?

I doubt its this as I recall the reason for Robo-Robotnik being made to look like Eggman back at the end of issue 75 was due to a mandate from Sega that required Archie Comics to make all game the Sonic characters from the games look like their game selfs (Sonic getting green eyes and buckles, Amy's new look).

As for the Pender's Robotnik? I wonder if he'll be using "The Doctor" from the Sonic/Image cross over? I always felt he was meant to be Robotnik in an alternate form (another version) who had some connection with a potential future Knuckles based on the dialogue. But the plot hinted at was never revisited or abandoned?

TheGreaterLucario

Wow, it's been a while since I've actually read the comics. I've just been roughly up-to-date by Mobius Encyclopaedia.
On a side note, I like what they're doing to Megaman to help him climb back up to glory. He was dearly missed. However, I'm not liking how they're leaving Sally in dubious fates. The one before the Genesis arc was enough, why do they have to treat her like some kind of punching bag? :/

Wait... How did Knux lose Julie? I'm not aware of the events in that arc.

Basically Thrash used a warp ring to zap all the echidnas (including Julie-Su) to some unknown alter-dimension-zone-thing. Knuckles is, for the time being, literally the only remaining echidna, and that's apparently only because he wasn't on the Floating Island when all this was happening. (It's the Endangered Species ark in which this happens)

And I agree with you about Sally constantly being put in danger. I don't like it either, considering she's Sonic's soul mate.

I am, however, happy about Lyco being one of the Secret Freedom Fighters. She deserves more appearance time.

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Thrash intentionally spared Knuckles because he helped him during the Knuckles Sonic Universe Arch. If Julie-Su and Saffron didn't stop him from super-charging his Warp Ring on Angel Island he would've spared them, too. He also had a chance to throw Sonic, Tails, and Amy in the hole but he didn't because they weren't echindas.

[spoil]Original Ivo Kintobor (a.k.a. Original Dr. Robotnik)?[/spoil]

Seem to be two trains of thought mainly ...

[spoil]1. It's Antoine who's unexpected because he was half-dead the last time we saw him.

2. It's Snively who's being given his umpteenth chance with the heroes. [/spoil]

TheGreaterLucario

Thrash intentionally spared Knuckles because he helped him during the Knuckles Sonic Universe Arch. If Julie-Su and Saffron didn't stop him from super-charging his Warp Ring on Angel Island he would've spared them, too. He also had a chance to throw Sonic, Tails, and Amy in the hole but he didn't because they weren't echindas.

Seem to be two trains of thought mainly ...

[spoil]1. It's Antoine who's unexpected because he was half-dead the last time we saw him.

2. It's Snively who's being given his umpteenth chance with the heroes. [/spoil]

The "unexpected character" isn't going to be Antoine. He apparently returns in the issue prior to the one in which the mystery person appears with Uncle Chuck.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
It's Bunny, isn't it? I can't imagine Sally "de-robotizing" so early. I'm kinda waiting for Shard's comeback.