• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are all the protagonists eleven years old?

Raine Caulwell

Calm Gardevoir
Last I remember, Ruby/Sapphire, the main characters were supposed to be around 14-16. May in the R/S/E generation was actually 14, along with Ash for that matter. However, when it was brought over to the states, 4kids changed them back to being 10 again.

However, I may be mistaken about this.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Last I remember, Ruby/Sapphire, the main characters were supposed to be around 14-16. May in the R/S/E generation was actually 14, along with Ash for that matter. However, when it was brought over to the states, 4kids changed them back to being 10 again.

However, I may be mistaken about this.

Erm... source?

Because Ash is still 10 years old. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Last I remember, Ruby/Sapphire, the main characters were supposed to be around 14-16.

Maybe in the manga, but not in the anime/games.

On topic, Ash and Dawn are 10 still I believe. This is probably the case with Misty and May aswell.

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
Maybe in the manga, but not in the anime/games.

On topic, Ash and Dawn are 10 still I believe. This is probably the case with Misty and May aswell.

because traveling the four regions takes less than a year? o_O

Raine Caulwell

Calm Gardevoir
I could be wrong. I remember reading it somewhere, although I can't seem to find it now. Not like it matters anyways. The TV series is only barely linear in the sense that their locations change, but nothing else does. Think of it like a sitcom where by the next episode comes around, things are status quo.

Yeah, looking over bulbapedia sources, the characters in Pokemon Special age, but it doesn't look like the characters in the anime do... not that it matters. (Looks like the oldest main character in Special is Blue/Leaf (Green in US translation) who is 17.)

Last edited:

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
I go by the ages in the manga. I don't even read the manga but the ages the serebii main site put them at sound about right (10-11 start, but the older characters are edging to 15-16)

Foxtrek

Vulpix addict
Ash can't still be ten, in the ep where he returns to viridian city (back in the first or second season) he says something to the effect of "I can't believe it's already been a whole year since I was last here" ....or something like that, I think he also mentions in the second movie that it's been two or three years since he first started his pokemon quest, although I'm not totally sure about that last one.

but yeah, I'm pretty sure the game characters are around ten or so, when you check a pokemons height in the newer games, it says the main character is about 4'8, I don't think they could be that short if they were older than ten XD ....Although I still have a hard time believing Dawn's only ten, what kind of ten year old would run around the country side in a skirt that barely goes past her undies!? ...better yet what kind of parent would let thier child wear such a thing?

zlxq3000

Master Collector
...better yet what kind of parent would let thier child wear such a thing?

The kind that would let their ten-year-old daughter wander around the country by herself...

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
LOL.

Not all the protagonists aren't eleven years old. It all depends on the height, age, and weight in the magna/anime/games. Maybe some protagonists are over the age of eleven or not, IDK, it all remains a mystery. :)

I like Pikachu

No because according to an interview with Nintendo, Wes was confirmed to be 17 while the guy from XD could easily be 12. Everyone else is 10. Hope that helped;).

joerachi

The Blazing Tempest
well they must be more mature than 11 because a certain lass doesn't want them to try anything funny in the dark...

Phailsafe

Like a Boss!
I always imagine the protagonists being aroun sixteen years old.

And if ash is Ten, someone needs to call child protection services...

Zonn13

87% Indubitable.
My opinion on the whole ten year-old protagonist thing: Why does it matter this much? I think we pretty much all know that Pokemon is not a logical game in the first place, so why does the age have to be logical? The ten year-olds in Pokemon appear to be more mature and capable than real ten year-olds are. And really, it's not like they're six. I think they made them that age so that they are older than little children but younger than adolescent. But that's my opinion.

P.S. BCVM22, you win at life.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
If you go by the manga, all start at age 11 except for Diamond, who starts at 12.

Froggle

Lolipop Girl
They're ten. It's a nice basic age that isn't too old for the youngin's that the game is geared towards. Think about it, they play it off so that it's like YOU'RE the one journying around catching pokemon, and if the protagonist is 15, the smaller kids can't really put themselves int heir place XD I know when I was ten 15 seemed forever away.

Phailsafe

Like a Boss!
P.S. BCVM22, you win at life.

If being a complete douchebag means winning at life, then yes, you both win.
Neither of you needed to comment what I said, and try and put me down. Haha I'm bulletproof.

BCVM22

Neither of you needed to comment what I said

If it "didn't need" to be commented upon then it didn't need to be posted in the first place. This is, ostensibly, a public discussion forum and generally, if you make a post, it is largely the right of other people to comment upon it, affirmatively or negatively.

You elected to post a comment's old enough to be in elementary school and was never that funny to begin with. You were called on it. Simple as that. If that bothers you, well, I don't really know what to tell you.

Last edited: