• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are people in the pokemon world vegan?

Rakansen

ラルフ
This is what Junichi Masuda said during an interview with Game Informer:

"There’s a lot of fruits and vegetables in the world of Pokémon. There is also a variety of snacks and various candies and whatnot that come from the different regions. The Pokémon world is much more technologically advanced than the world of our own, so perhaps there is probably a lot of different food that we can’t even think of.

One example of that is there is even a Rare candy which is an actual snack or piece of candy that can make you stronger, raise your level. There are all kinds of strange food that really doesn’t exist in our universe."

Ver-mont

And he still avoided the question of whether Pokémon are used for meat or not.

But well, even the Pokédex entry for Farfetch'd, from the very first generation, answers this question.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I think a while back, it was announced that no one ate meat in the pokemon world. Obviously this isn't true, but was said to spare the feelings of the 10 and under crowd as well as PETA, because:
* Pidgey is seen trying to eat worms and bug pokemon
* Ash gets mad when the android vending machine won't sell him a hamburger (not a veggie burger, a hamburger)
* Some pokemon are listed as preying on others in their Dex entries
* People go fishing for DINNER, in LG/FR you can talk to a woman who doubts her husband will bring home enough fish pokemon for them to eat it as dinner!
* The magikarp eating fantasy
* In G/S/C Team Rocket tries to sell you some tasty Slowpoke tail. Yummy.
* etc...

Last edited:

Arvis

i don't think so...they have referred to food made out of Pokemon in the older episodes of the anime.

Cutty

Forever now
I think normal animals do exist in pokemon world where they are eaten and used.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I think normal animals do exist in pokemon world where they are eaten and used.

Which is... better, I guess? It's essentially the same thing as using Pokemon for food, except that it treats regular animals with even less respect, since it makes them out to be an inferior species that should be scapegoated in favor of Pokemon.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
You don't have to eat the Pokémon you're training.

I highly doubt someone eats the Pokémon they're training, but they do eat meat as implied on more than one occasion -- outright stated in the Canalave library.

I remember reading this during my playthrough of Platinum. I guess other people never searched the books . . .

Bubble Beam

Bubble Buddy!
I just thought only pokemon like Miltank, Farfetch'd and Magikarp were eaten, I can never see any real animals in pokemon now, the old anime just messed pokemon up a bit xD I mean, Animals like fish, mice and a dog (on a japanese book or something), and much more things in the old anime that never appears in the new ones that I can't think of. I bet they regret that.

Have you ever heard of DNA strands? today scientists can take DNA strands of animals and do various things to make it to meat without having to kill the animal. So maybe that is how they eat pokemon without killing them but that is just wishful thinking.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Have you ever heard of DNA strands? today scientists can take DNA strands of animals and do various things to make it to meat without having to kill the animal. So maybe that is how they eat pokemon without killing them but that is just wishful thinking.

He Yeah ! I totally forgot about that. Today, we are on the verge of making our meat. It's called 'in-vitro' meat. SO, if the poke world is more advanced than us, it's safe to assume that the have already developed this tech and are using it. That settles it I guess. Some people eat only berries and are vegen. Others eat in-vitro poke meat and don't kill pokemon.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
He Yeah ! I totally forgot about that. Today, we are on the verge of making our meat. It's called 'in-vitro' meat. SO, if the poke world is more advanced than us, it's safe to assume that the have already developed this tech and are using it. That settles it I guess. Some people eat only berries and are vegen. Others eat in-vitro poke meat and don't kill pokemon.

And some people do eat Pokemon because life isn't perfect.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Well carboncopy, you must have noticed that some places in the pokemon world seem more advanced than others (just like the real world), so even if many people eat cloned pokemon meat, there's probably still places where they can't get it very easily and eat pokemon instead (just like the old days).

Besides, cloned meat is probably more expensive then makes sense... with atom smashers, we're now able to create gold from lead like alchemists used to fantasize about, but it costs way more than the gold is worth. Life may be priceless, but people still aren’t going to pay fifty bucks for a chicken leg.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Well carboncopy, you must have noticed that some places in the pokemon world seem more advanced than others (just like the real world), so even if many people eat cloned pokemon meat, there's probably still places where they can't get it very easily and eat pokemon instead (just like the old days).

Besides, cloned meat is probably more expensive then makes sense... with atom smashers, we're now able to create gold from lead like alchemists used to fantasize about, but it costs way more than the gold is worth. Life may be priceless, but people still aren’t going to pay fifty bucks for a chicken leg.

well.... ya ur right.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I don't think so. They eat pokemon. Why is it so hard to accept that? We eat our animals and pokemon are basically the animals of the Pokemon World. It's not like they eat their Lillipups and Rattatas, but pokemon like Pidgey, Magikarp or Miltank. It's really not such a horrible thing.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
Certainly not. They love Slowpoke tails :D