1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Are people putting to much emphasis on “Kanto pandering”?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham So proud of you

Prior to the SM era I really didn’t see any strong implications of Kanto pandering. Obviously a generation introduced in the 20th anniversary would have some nods to how it all started. The only last time I can remember heavy Kanto pandering was during AG for obvious reasons. XY obviously had no references to anything really and BW didn’t start diving into that until it’s filler arc and by that time the series was well and done and Sinnoh focused mostly on Gen 2. Is the Kanto pandering suffocating or not as a bad as it seems?

Side edit: too* for the title.

04n70n10 and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

It's not as bad as it seems

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  3. Bortgreen

Bortgreen SM is adorable... Until November

In the anime there isn't much Kanto pandering except maybe in SM(only Misty and Brock coming back, Ash's older pokémon shown were mostly from gen 1)
    I see more people complaining about that in the games, actually
    Like in XY you get a Kanto starter for no reason, Alolan Forms are kanto-only, Sun comes from and Lillie goes to Kanto...

4. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

But then there are 2 movies, the I Choose You one which made sense and the strange decision to make a remake of the very first movie as opposed to a movie that puts the SM characters in it for once and has an interesting plotline involving Alola, although they sort of expended all of that(Team Rainbow Rocket was a HUGE missed opportunity, they didn't really do anything important). I can get why they remade it, to show it to a new audience but I wonder...are there any changes to it? Besides the stuff about Wingull and designs.

5. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

For the franchise as a whole? No, there has been waaaaaaaay too much Gen 1 marketing since 2013. For the anime? Yeah, it's been overblown, sure, Ash lost to a Charizard in XY and Misty and Brock came back twice in SM, but the former was really just one thing and the latter was because they needed to promote the 20th anniversary/Let's GO, and it's not even like they took too much time, each return was for 2 episodes. There's also Sandy, who has been handled pretty badly, like they wanted to do something with him but feared that having him too much on the audiences' face would be annoying, so they relegated him to the background with a few occasional gag scenes.

Emelie and TheWanderingMist like this.
  6. maartjeverhoef

maartjeverhoef Well-Known Member

Kanto pandering at least makes some sense 'cause its already present in the games that the anime is promoting.

Sinnoh pandering doesn't have that excuse, there's no new Sinnoh games/content to promote, yet we have Sinnoh Pokémon on the main cast for 2 regions in a row.

mehmeh1 and PorcelainVulpix like this.
  7. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

Aside from the Kanto trip in SM43-44, which was specifically done to celebrate the show's 20th anniversary, I honestly can't think of a single instance of the anime doing any "Kanto pandering" on its own, rather than just going along with something the games were doing at the time.

8. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I mean, Kanto is where it all began, it’s only natural for them to reference it sometimes.

I’ve always felt like people complain about “Kanto pandering” because they just hate to see any past region besides their favorite get any attention.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  9. Dragalge

Dragalge Is he Santa Claus?

The anime is pretty good at giving attention to a variety of Pokemon from different regions with XY and SM being the most notable examples.

Now the games are a different story with XY being the worst offender of them all followed by SM (albeit more tolerable because at least the Alolan Pokemon could still stand out like the starters).

10. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 62 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

In the franchise as a whole, yes, definitely, and people need to stop defending it.

In just the anime, I don't think it's as bad.

11. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I want something different than the "origin" of the place and his people and Pokemons. To me, it's not only a Pokemon issue. I'm also tired with the "Liberty City pandering" (fictional New York City) from the Grand Theft Auto series, so I want a different location/culture they haven't explored before.

Lunalah and KenzeyEevee like this.
  12. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

From what I've seen for the SM games, pretty much to the point that fans have been ignoring GameFreak's love of referencing other regions. For example, there's a decent ton of major Johto references in the SM games but because Kanto gets more references and take up the entire Alolan regional variant roster, suddenly fans think this automatically makes Gen 7 another Kanto-pandering Gen 7 and because of that, I almost always see the diverse references to other regions ignored in such discussions. However you are of course talking about the anime in-mind and that is a different answer.

For the anime, I'm going to have to say that the comments about SM anime's kanto-pandering are for the most part reasonable because the anime pretty much ditches the majority of non-Kanto regional references from the games and it's pretty clear they want to ride off the Kanto nostalgia of Brock & Misty. Not to mention, in some ways it was inevitable that the SM anime couldn't do some of the major references of other regions from the games as they kind of shot themselves in the foot when they decided on a floating timeline to begin with and that they took major characters like Anabel or Colress lightly in previous series, not realizing that GameFreak may have had plans to not only return to those characters but also upgrade them from regionally important to worldly important characters. So yes, I believe kanto-pandering is big in the SM anime because it was both inevitable and something the anime embraced.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  13. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

About the first point, there was also some Unova pandering in the games, I mean, there were THREE gen 5 characters who came into SM, and none of them were batttle tree exclusive (Grimsley, Colress, Burnet), sadly only the latter one appeared in the anime (though she's pretty much a gen 7 character there, as she never appeared in the BW anime)

shoz999 likes this.
  14. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

True. Another note I'm surprised someone actually remembers that Burnett is a Gen 5 character, not a Gen 7 character lol. Most people I know don't actually know that.

15. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

Most people probably don't care because they considered her as a minor character unlike Brock & Misty.

Anyways, as I wrote in the Pokegirl not returning thread, I wouldn't make such a deal about the Kanto pandering if the companions from different series were treated equally and the writers haven't made odd/divisive choices/decisions in the past series in the 1st place.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  16. Ignition

Ignition My son finally did it

As others have said, there’s relatively little Kanto pandering in the anime. Only callback to to OS I found completely unnecessary was Charizard’s return in BW. Brock and Misty’s return was ok because the original trio haven’t been together since AG and it was only 4 episodes. Plus the writers surprisingly didn’t show any of Ash’s original team besides Tauros since BW’s last episode (and even then the rest of his Pokèmon only showed up at the end of said episode).

Now the Gen 7 games (SM, USUM, and LGPE) are filled to the brim with Kanto pandering. People bring up Colress, Grimsley, Burnet, for Gen 5 and RR for every other gen but that’s nowhere near as close to the amount of exposure/callbacks Kanto. Can really say every Alolan Form being from Gen 1 is the same as 3 minor characters who appear infrequently? Or how there’s more Kanto Pokèmon in general than new Pokèmon is the same level of exposure as Malie City, a small and ultimately pointless city once a few story events happen? Not even close

17. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Hell no. Talk to me when Charizard and Eevee get a damn break of having major roles.
    Brock and Misty appeared TWICE! Only Ash's Kanto Pokemon appeared during the lab episode, and no the brief cameo of Totodile/Corphish does NOT count! No scenes with the XY Pokemon chilling at the lab, none of his Johto, AG, DP, or BW Pokemon interacting with characters/Pokemon.
    Eevee.....
    No May, Tracey or Serena appearance.... heck even Gary and Oak's Rotom are practically non-existent! But Gary got replaced with a **** friend rival so that's probably why he didn't get an appearance >_<

I don't understand how people can defend Kanto.... games or anime.

18. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Blizzard Maiden

Anime-wise the Kanto pandering is not so annoying, there are a few references/appearances from past characters but not to the point it overshadows everything else. The remake of the first Mewtwo movie did rub some fans the wrong way but I Choose You (have not seen Power of Us yet) was a nice take of an alternative universe Ash.

19. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

It’s not so bad in the anime, honestly. Like others have said, there were times when it was unnecessary (like Charizard, but I liked its brief return and it was nice to see him again; at least before XY mind-warped Ash into thinking nothing happened prior to Kalos) but the recent Kanto stuff has been understandable. Brock & Misty returning was cool for the 20th Anniversary, I Choose You and Power of Us- which is more Johto pandering than anything- were the best movies we’ve had since DP, but the Mewtwo movie was definitely overkill. The games are way worse than the anime when it comes to Kanto love; and no, three Gen 5 characters or one Johto reference will never erase that.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    PorcelainVulpix, Sham and Ignition like this.
  20. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

Game wise, no, they are not complaining too much about Kanto being favored. Having the second-most Mega Evolutions (and even then, it only got beat because OR AS introduced a ton of Hoenn ones), and the only region where Pokemon got TWO mega forms, as well as the only region to receive regional variants in Alola. You also get a Kanto starter in Kalos. Anime - wise, it's more understandable, as Brock and Misty showed up for the anniversary and then to promote LGPE alongside Lana's Eevee.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    SH65 and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.