1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Are people putting to much emphasis on “Kanto pandering”?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 28, 2019.

1. CMButch

CMButch Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Kanto, but I do have a problem if it's just Kanto and not other regions. I believe almost all generations ( of anime primarily) have something about Kanto:
    Gen 3: Ash goes to Kanto for Battle Frontier,May gets Squirtle and Bulbasaur why not Johto starter? Why not one Bulbasaur( for FR/LG) and one Totodile( for Johto)
    Gen 4: can't think of anything, I am glad DP pandered to Johto.
    Gen 5: Ash's Charizard returns, main Pokemon in Genesect movie is Mewtwo, flashbacks of Kanto( mainly).
    Gen 6: Gen 1 had the most ME Pokemon, who defeats Greninja and is OP Pokemon? Charizard. Charizard and Mewtwo only get split ME. But mostly Gen 6 is Gen 3 pandering which is good.EDIT: I forgot that Tierno, Trevor and Shauna had Gen 1 starters, lol , why not Gen 2 or Gen 4 starters? XY had nothing to do with Kanto.Even with Hoenn remakes only Sceptile was put in a spotlight.Also, in league we had Charizard vs Charizard.
    Gen 7: Misty and Brock return instead of Iris or Serena, they go to Kanto( why didn't they go to other regions after Kanto?), also Alolan forms are from Kanto.
    So, in Kanto pandering from least to most I'd say:
    DP >>> BW>XY >> SM > AG

Let's see Johto pandering: Gen 3: can't think of any, Gen 4: Johto, Gen 5: can't think of any, Gen 6: can't think of any, Gen 7: can't think of any.
    It just seems that other regions pandering is happening when remakes are made which is one gen.
    Oh and yes: Lana getting Eevee, Serena getting Eevee and May getting Eevee. I can't wait if there's new Eevee form in Galar that female gets Eevee :mad:
    Even if it's remake of other gens like in XY, Kanto also gets some pandering with Megas( the most Megas in XY or Charizard beating Greninja). Why not for example: Unova pandering + Sinnoh pandering because of remakes of DP. Yet, it will be Kanto + Sinnoh pandering.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    janejane6178 and J.Agera like this.
  2. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

@CMButch Hoenn actually has the most megas, though the majority weren't introduced until ORAS.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  3. CMButch

CMButch Well-Known Member

In XY: Kanto had 10 ,while Hoenn had 8. In ORAS, Hoenn overflowed Kanto ( alltogether).

janejane6178 and J.Agera like this.
  4. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Gen 7 had a bit of Gen 3 and 4 appeal due to the Ride Pokemon (though only the Gen 1 Ride Pokemon became a main character of sorts) and several of the non-Gen 7 recurrent Pokemon like Stoutland and Shaymin. Also a LOT of the music in Japanese SM is Gen 6 music, despite seemingly having access to Gen 1 remixes through the AU movies they only used a handful, even in the actual Kanto homage episodes.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    maartjeverhoef likes this.
  5. Dragalge

Dragalge Is he Santa Claus?

Why are you guys complaining about Ash vs Trip Round 1 & Ash vs Viola Round 1 when the real terrible battle was Ash vs Trip Round 2? At least the former kind of had the excuse with Zekrom hurting Pikachu badly. Full healthy Pikachu with working moveset should have been able to beat five Pokemon easily!

Back on topic for this, nostalgia is fine as long as it’s not badly handled like Charizard’s return in BW (who amounted to nothing!). Didn’t help he lost Seismic Toss for...Slash and Dragon Tail.

6. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Actually for gen 3, Johto was pretty much ignored in it's entirety. It still is pretty much.... shame the starters are probably the most likely to get culled from Dexit, Gigantimax forms would be nice... but they already got shafted hard multiple times now so there's no point hoping

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

The Kanto pandering isn't quite as excessive in the anime as it is in the games at least. We obviously had Kasumi and Takeshi return twice in SM which felt like promotion for both the 20th anniversary of the franchise and promotion for the Kanto remakes, but SM's Kanto pandering hasn't been as forced as it was in XY where we had Pokemon like Lizardon under the ownership of a major recurring character, not to mention all three Kanto Starters being owned by the Kalos rival trio.

LilligantLewis, MockingJ and Emelie like this.
  8. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

Am I the only one who is confused why they choose to make so many Gen 4 references in Gen 7? In the "I choose you" movie there was Piplup and Lucario and they also released a random picture book story featuring the Gen 4 starters.

Were they originally going to make a Gen 4 remake but decided to make the Let's Go games instead to pander to older Pokémon Go fans? If that is the case it's really disappointing.

Ignition, MockingJ and maartjeverhoef like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I believe that someone who worked on the movie stated that they decided to feature Pochama and Lucario in the 20th movie's cast because they were popular Pokemon.

10. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

The anime’s Kanto pandering isn’t that bad & honestly justifiable partly because of the 20th anniversary & partly because the writers had to make due with the elements provided by the games. I think it’s mostly because people are upset at how much the games have been pandering Kanto ever since Gen 6

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Spider-Phoenix and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  11. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I do think that the overexposure of Kanto nostalgia in the games is what makes fans less keen about the Kanto pandering in the anime since it's so transparent and an obvious marketing ploy. The anime could've done way worse though, but at least the writers have kept their Gen I nostalgia pandering period short and sweet in the current saga.

SH65 and MockingJ like this.
  12. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

I wonder does Alain’s Charizard count as Kanto pandering considering it kept winning every match it was in?

13. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

It was actually Yuyama, the chief director of the series (as a whole) and also director of the movies. He said that during a livestream of "I Choose You" in Japan.

It was also the place where we got the infamous exchange about Verity's mother where Nakagawa asks the obvious question that if it she isn't Cynthia, who is she and Yuyama just answers "It's her mother" (read the whole thing over Dogasu's site)

LilligantLewis and MockingJ like this.
  14. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I think Japan have a thing with penguins in general, I mean I've seen fanarts about human-looking penguins that isn't related to Pokemon, so I doubt Piplup is popular because it's cute.

As for Lucario, it looks like Anubis, one of Ancient Egypt gods, seeing that Japan also has a thing with Egyptian culture as seen in YuGiOh and DragonBall.

15. Mr.Munchlax

That does kind of explain the one Yu-Gi-Oh 2-parter episode where Tea dueled a member of the Big 5 who had a penguin themed deck, & the Cardcaptors episode where they emphasized the scene of the Watery Card trapping a penguin in a whirlpool, AND the scene in the Ambrrtte Aquarium episode of XY that had the flock of Piplup. @_@

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  16. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

The Sinnoh pandering in the 20th movie seemed to me like a way to foreshadow DP remakes but since nothing came out of that in the following years I did wonder if the games might've been scrapped or delayed.

17. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Justifiable.... ha!

So a Charizard being a major player BEFORE the anniversary and an Eevee three years AFTER wasn't blatant pandering? There's Pokemon from other regions that are hardly touched on, like Johto Pokemon even popular ones like Tyranitar hardly show up! And a good amount of Unova Pokemon hardly see the light

18. Mr.Munchlax

Well, I also said they had to make Due with the what they had for the games since the anime’s partly a commercial for them. Charizard was meant to promote Mega Charizard X (which was one of the best looking megas at the time) & Eevee was meant to promote Let’s Go just like Meltan.

19. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

When people pulls the "Kanto pandering" criticism, they mainly talk about the major human characters, the worst offender being Misty & Brock in SM, especially due to the fact that Iris & Serena didn't have their cameos after their series as for now.

20. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

But unlike the Kanto pandering that occurred when Eievui joined the cast which was clearly meant to promote the Kanto remakes, I don't think that the Shinou pandering in the movie was ever meant to foreshadow Shinou game remakes.

MockingJ likes this.