1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Are people putting to much emphasis on “Kanto pandering”?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 28, 2019.

1. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Offcourse kanto is given special status, anyone who has watched the full series can tell you that, but where is the kanto pandering oming from'the gaes', games are the biggest reason for anime to show kanto stuff again and again, a big example is kanto pokemon being the only pokemon to get exclusive alolan forms in gen 7, or in gen 6 scary house being made on lines of levander town in kanto or meeting legendary birds in kalos, if i am not wrong even blue had some role in gen 6.

Irony is the only anime series having less to no kanto stuff is DP which ended up being the best series of all.

2. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

No offense but I think it's a stretch to link the Scary House to Kanto. It was just a typical haunted area just like we've gotten in practically every Pokemon game, not necessarily a direct reference to Lavender Town.

3. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

That was even worse, for once I hated a Lucario(My #1 fav) being around. There was no reason for both it and a Piplup to be around.... if they were with the same character, then sure that's fine! But two non-Kanto natives with Ash, neither are related... and they both happen to be from Sinnoh. Yet Sinnoh remakes didn't happen(Cause Kanto needed it's 5th turn *sigh* )

Or at least say the Lucario guy's from Unova, as the species lives there. Boom, problem solved! Then a Unova starter final evolution could get some prominent screen time instead of being jobbers

MockingJ likes this.
  4. ash&charizardfan

Scary house had gastly evolutionary line and no other ghost pokemon from other egion, that's why i told you it was influenced by levander town, it's no secret that kanto pokemon are way too exposed than pokemon from other regions partly due to the games.

LilligantLewis and Lunalah like this.
  5. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

The Scary House didn't contain any wild Pokemon. I think you're talking about the swamp on Route 14, but I still think it's a stretch to claim that a Kanto Ghost type living in the swamp = Kanto reference. That's like saying that the wild Weepinbells there were also a reference to Kanto just because they were the only Kanto Grass type line found there, when it would be more reasonable to think that they were available there just to fill space among the wild Pokemon varieties.

6. ash&charizardfan

Technically i was talking about the anime episode, it was somewht similar to kanto episode not to mention they only put kanto ghost types and not ghost types from other regions, how many times has gastly line been used in scacy episodes compared to other pokemon that was my point, its no secret that kanto pokemon gets way too much overexposure than the other regions.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

In a way I was glad that they decided to go with the non-obvious route by showcasing two popular Shinou Pokemon in that movie and not just a bunch of Kanto Pokemon. That movie also featured Houou and Marshadow, so at least the movie wasn't 100% Kanto pandering and had some variety.

Firefo×Fennekin and MockingJ like this.
  8. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I considered the haunted house more like a "common dungeon" for the franchise due of the mainstream games being JRPG than "Kanto pandering", just like the occasional forests, caves, countrysides, evil Team bases, etc. It's hard to find a really unique location to take action so that's why I don't make a big deal about the Haunted houses in general.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Leonhart likes this.
  9. Lunalah

Lunalah Well-Known Member

I thought that the Generation 1 pandering stuff in Sun/Moon worked well because fans had been complaining for many ages that Misty hadn't been seen in over a decade. Her return boosted her as a gym leader too because she got a Keystone and so did Brock. There's no real downside to showing Generation 1 a little love.

10. J.Agera

J.Agera Don't push your luck.

Calling it "little" is an understatement.
    Honestly I would have no problem with the pandering, If it didn't completely overshadow the other gens in the Anime.

11. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

I don't think that Kasumi and Takeshi's returns in SM were even that spectacular. They obviously came back for nostalgia purposes and to serve as a tie-in with LGPE, but I feel that the writers could've easily found ways to promote Gen I nostalgia and the new games some other way. I'm a huge fan of both characters, and I appreciated the fact that they received their own Mega Pokemon too, but their comebacks did nothing for me.

Lunalah, Firefo×Fennekin and J.Agera like this.
  12. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

Would you say they didn’t do them justice or it was just alright at best?

13. How the hell did Misty and Brock got mega's? Did Brock go to Hoenn for his mega stone?

14. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

I think it’s been established that Mega stones can be found pretty much anywhere. Origins isn’t in the anime canon, but Red still found a way to have a Mega Charizard X in Kanto. I’d assume it’s the same way in the main anime and isn’t so deeply tied to Kalos and Hoenn like it is in the games.

15. Lunalah

Lunalah Well-Known Member

Since Brock lives in Pewter City which is supposed to have a science museum, it was my head-canon that he got his keystone from the museum or from his dad maybe since he used to sell rocks.

16. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

I headcannon that maybe Professor Oak Or Gary gave them one.

Lunalah likes this.
  17. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

The Prof. Oak explanation is the one that I'm going with. Speaking of Gary though, I'm surprised that he didn't show up in SM for nostalgia reasons.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  18. ash&charizardfan

No, red was given both the mega stone and key stone by the old prof who did the research on ME and he mentioned that ME is related to kalos region, as for the main anime all the stuff related to ME happened only in kalos or hoenn so it is somehow related to mainly those two regions. Brock and misty were given ME probably to show off a match between ME and z moves, i wouldn't be surprised if iris and may had made a cameo they would have a mega blaziken or mega garchomp.

19. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney Fan

At one point I did expect Shigeru to appear during the SM saga since he would've tied into the Kanto remakes as well as the Sun and Moon games since his game counterpart appears in all of those installments, so it's strange that he still hasn't been seen since the Shinou saga. He could've returned with a Keystone like Takeshi and Kasumi did, and he could've used something like Mega Kamex or Mega Hassam as his Mega Pokemon.

MockingJ likes this.
  20. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

In terms of "Kanto Pandering" per generation? It's kind of reflected by the games, and from what I get they only pander when the games do
    • Gen 1: Irrelevant since that's the only region that exists yet
    • Gen 2: Asides from it being the only other region, Gen II was meant to be a sequel to the region, heck 39 of the new Pokemon were just those they couldn't fit in the original games
    • Gen 3 and 4: No real pandering asides from the filler arc of the Battle Frontier being moved to Kanto instead of Hoenn. And even then, this is the only time I can think of in the anime where the main character returned to a prior region for any significant amount of time. Lack of pandering reflects how Gen III was incompatible with the previous generations' games
    • Gen 5: Not much beyond Rocket having more of a role, but that's partly because they're main characters and by Gen 3 and 4, it more came off as being there to fill a quota
    • Gen 6: Didn't really pay much attention, can't comment
    • Gen 7: If there is pandering, it's only because that's what Sun and Moon were doing