• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are people putting to much emphasis on “Kanto pandering”?

game3524

Kalos is still heavily in its own region. Outside of those events, I never felt like it simulated Kanto. Then again, I love the heck out of Gen 6. It was the generation that returned me to Pokemon after a lengthy sojourn.

The Johto games have to ride that excuse otherwise they are shallow, empty shells relying on Kanto especially as the years progress. Kanto Pokemon run rampant in the fields and in Gym Leaders' rosters, premier Johto Pokemon are either cumbersome to obtain (item/trade and happiness evolution), exist in Mount Silver, or are only found in Kanto. Thanks GSC, instead of pushing the hellhound, you want me to use the small orange dog, track down a generic junior trainer, and wait for his call before I can evolve it. Genius. We know how the phone works. Just sell the stones in Goldenrod. You figured it out in RBY to sell stones in Celadon's Department Store.

That is why the Kanto homages in Kalos never bothered me. Kalos has its own identity so the Kanto homages are just sprinkles on the ice cream cone. Gym Leaders use Kalos Pokemon. I found cool Kalos Pokemon (Aegislash, Hawlucha, Sylevon) early in my journey. Imagine if XY followed GSC's model: Honedge would be a post-game Mon, Hawlucha maybe Victory Road, and Sylveon would take forever to obtain. I guess I have always find it slightly ironic. Hardcore Pokemon fans tend to dislike the focus on Gen 1 and have complained XY & Sun and Moon pander too much to Kanto but the Johto games are beloved but they are more tied to Kanto than Gen 6 and Gen 7 ever were. Nostalgia is a powerful force.

Again, there is a big difference between Johto (GSC) and Kalos (XY).

GSC were never intended to be standalone games. They were mean't to be sequels to RBY. Also, People still complained about the over-dependence of Kanto. XY doesn't have an excuse and I disagree with the notion that Kalos had it's own identity. Gen 6 introduced the least amount of new Pokemon and rely heavily on Kanto. Honestly, remove the Kanto references from XY and that generation loses a lot of luster.

Leonhart

Imagineer
thedarkdragon11 said:
Without this "Kanto pandering" thing, Ash would've lost again in the Finals...

I don't quite understand what you mean? If you're trying to say that Satoshi won because of his Pikachu, then I disagree since Pikachu wasn't Satoshi's ace in the hole this time around.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I Choose You (have not seen Power of Us yet) was a nice take of an alternative universe Ash.

You should see it. It is my favorite movie in the franchise. If you liked I Choose You you will LOVE Power of Us

Pikachu loses to new unevolved pokemon at the beginning of every saga. In the second episode of Johto, Pikachu was struggling against Casey's brand new Chikorita after it just defeated Drake's Dragonite in the Orange League.

Yeah this happens a lot

-Casey's Chikorita like you said
-tying with Paul's Elekid
-Trip's Snivy
-Cress's Panpour
-Clemont's Bunnelby
-Viola's Surskit

The Prof. Oak explanation is the one that I'm going with. Speaking of Gary though, I'm surprised that he didn't show up in SM for nostalgia reasons.

I remember back in 2017 when this video tricked me into thinking Gary would show up in Alola lol https://twitter.com/SatoshixSerena/status/841106711104626688?s=20

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I mean there's still a lot of Kanto pandering happening even now like we saw in the bug catching episode a couple weeks ago.

That was one of the rare cases since the whole episode took place in Kanto and revolved around the native Gen I Bug-types. But I feel that the rest of the saga will be so back and forth between the various regions that there won't be much time for Gen I pandering, or at least not as much as some of us initially worried about.

BlueDragonfangirl

I've been annoyed with it ever since the sun and moon cameos, they had absolute no reason to appear in that series, Misty already had her cameo back in the AG series they should have left it at that. What makes her so special? Dawn was more popular at that point, why not give her more than one cameo too? Serena hasn't gotten one yet, that cameo should have been reserved for her. Brock appeared in every series till Best Wishes than got a special WTF? I'm so confused. Than the new the new school and Team Rocket place are both in Kanto which means will be getting to see more Kanto instead of a certain place we should focusing on this series, I don't understand that at all.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
In the anime there isn't much Kanto pandering except maybe in SM(only Misty and Brock coming back, Ash's older pokémon shown were mostly from gen 1)
I see more people complaining about that in the games, actually
Like in XY you get a Kanto starter for no reason, Alolan Forms are kanto-only, Sun comes from and Lillie goes to Kanto...
Good old times

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
So did I at first given the main setting of the series, but I'm pleasantly surprised that things haven't been as bad on the Kanto nostalgia bait front as I assumed.

There is still Kanto pandering at play with Ash’s PM2019 team. He caught two strong and popular Gen 1 Pokémon (Dragonite, Gengar) along with Mimey the Mr. Mime officially becoming his. He still hasn’t caught a Gen 8 Pokémon while Gou (aka the Pokémon GO playerbase pandering tool) already caught two (Scorbunny and Skwovet).

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
I’m so sick of hearing about Kanto pandering. Kanto was start of this franchise. These Kanto Pokémon, characters, etc are apart of what made the franchise successful and what it is today. Obviously there’s going to be call backs and also, they’re going to go with what’s most popular and makes them the most money and a lot of that is Kanto related. Obviously not all of it, but still.

The same people who complain so much about the show not catering to their favorite regions need to remember that this show isn’t aimed at nor catered towards them, it’s aimed at kids.

At this point, the complaints are just mad annoying. The Kanto outrage people are just as bad as the National Dex outrage people. If y’all hate the franchise so much, just drop it? Or at least let the rest of us enjoy it in peace

D

Deleted member 384931

I’m so sick of hearing about Kanto pandering. Kanto was start of this franchise. These Kanto Pokémon, characters, etc are apart of what made the franchise successful and what it is today. Obviously there’s going to be call backs and also, they’re going to go with what’s most popular and makes them the most money and a lot of that is Kanto related. Obviously not all of it, but still.

The same people who complain so much about the show not catering to their favorite regions need to remember that this show isn’t aimed at nor catered towards them, it’s aimed at kids.

At this point, the complaints are just mad annoying. The Kanto outrage people are just as bad as the National Dex outrage people. If y’all hate the franchise so much, just drop it? Or at least let the rest of us enjoy it in peace

And what if you only hate Kanto, but like all the other regions? (I dont, but it is a logical question)

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
And what if you only hate Kanto, but like all the other regions? (I dont, but it is a logical question)

I’m confused as to what this has to do with my original post? If you hate Kanto that’s fine but you can’t realistically expect there not to mentions of the first ever region in this franchise and constantly complaining about that is what bothers me because Kanto will never go away completely

D

Deleted member 384931

I’m confused as to what this has to do with my original post? If you hate Kanto that’s fine but you can’t realistically expect there not to mentions of the first ever region in this franchise and constantly complaining about that is what bothers me because Kanto will never go away completely

I dont. I dont hate Kanto at all. Some people just dont like Kanto that much.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
If y’all hate the franchise so much, just drop it? Or at least let the rest of us enjoy it in peace
Complaining about an issue =/= hating an entire franchise.

If you want to enjoy this in peace, feel free to leave the fandom. Much like the Kanto pandering will never cease, fandom complaints will never end. People have different preferences and they'll always disagree with something. If you find yourself incapable of tolerating people pointing out flaws, you are free to leave. Otherwise, accept the fact that people are sick and tired of Kanto and move on with your life.

Requesting from people to drop a franchise they sincerely like because they have problems with certain choices is the epitome of stupidity. Again, as you said, if you can't handle people complaining about stuff, you don't have to be here, post here or read any of the posts online. Nobody is pushing you to do it.