• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are people still thinking that Buizel doesn't need to evolve?

STICKTOPIA

I don't see why eveyone is using that flotation sac excuse. If its so strong, how is it that Ash was able to get around that? Thats a lame excuse for it evolving

I think Buizel is ok the way it is. It has won and lost battles, just like the rest of Ash's other Pokemon. All it needs is a new move and it will be back at kick butt status like it used to.
or it just needs to evolve.

thunderblade12

Unless they refuse to evolve for whatever reason and i think buizel despite gaining more out of evolving will not go down that path. The writers will not bother evolving his water pokes anymore.

I don't see a pattern. I think it's just a coincidence that none of the water types evolved. Squirtle was part of the Squirtle Squad, almost nothing evolved in Johto so that stopped Totodile it's dancing may also be a reason, Corphish was comic relief and arguably Ash can't have a dark type(I don't believe that), and Buizel is just far more popular than Floatzel(it was a promotional DP pokemon).

A lot of people thought Charizard would prevent Chimchar from evolving but look what happened there. Aside from Ash always having a team that contains Pikachu/common flying type/grass type/fire type/water type/wildcard during each gym quest I don't see any other patterns

or it just needs to evolve.

It doesn't necessarily NEED to. It not like it's a pathetic weakling in it's current form. IMO it could go either way. Of course evolving would make it stronger, evolving would make Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and Piplup stronger too.

zeno48

Zaker!
I don't see a pattern
You've got to be kidding me. The writters have not evolved any of ashes water pokemon excluding crabby but that was way back in kanto and he didn't even have it for that long.
I think it's just a coincidence that none of the water types evolved
I think the writers have made it clear that they will most likely keep his water pokemon the way they are.
A lot of people thought Charizard would prevent Chimchar from evolving but look what happened there
Charizard is irrelivant now so having a new type of fire pokemon in ashes arsenal is a step up. I think if the writers play it right infernape might surpass charizard and he might be showcased less.

thunderblade12

There's really no point for the writers to set up such "patterns". Assuming that no water type will ever evolve just doesn't make since to me. The writers have no idea what pokemon will be released in the future so I can't see them limiting themselves that way. In the future if they think evolving a water pokemon into it's more popular form will bring them more money in plushies they're not going to stop to think of some pattern that no one cares about. I still think it's coincidental and not intentional. Squirtle was part of the Squirtle Squad(not Wartortle or Blastoise Squad), a dancing Feraligatr would look awkward, Corphish looked "meaner" as a Crawdaunt and couldn't keep it's comical "tiny ruffian" character if it evolved. The jury is still out on Buizel but if it doesn't evolve there are a few reason for it beyond patterns

If there's an intentional pattern for the water types then why don't the writers that same lazy, mindless route with the fire and grass types?

Did any of Ash's pokemon NEED to evolve? Look at Bulbasaur, dispite not battling since Battle Frontier I think it has more than enough experiance to evolve into Venasaur. And even before that it's taken down pokemon bigger and stronger than itself.

STICKTOPIA

Did any of Ash's pokemon NEED to evolve? Look at Bulbasaur, dispite not battling since Battle Frontier I think it has more than enough experiance to evolve into Venasaur. And even before that it's taken down pokemon bigger and stronger than itself.
but haven't u seen that buizel hasn't been doing so well lately? especially against byron's steelix?

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
It's fine, the writers are just ripping its spotlight away to give it to Staraptor.

Gizadude

despite Buizel not getting many notable wins lately, I doubt the writers would evolve him to fix that seeing as all it takes is a little spotlight and a new move for the weasel and he'll be back on top. Ask for the whole water Pokemon curse, I would have to agree with some of the above posters in that the writers don't evolve some of these Pokemon because they are possibly more marketable in their base form.(Ex. Piplup , Squirtle) I think the reason Krabby evolved is because the writers wanted to do something interesting with it since it wasn't going to be on the main team for any extended period of time anyhow.

STICKTOPIA

despite Buizel not getting many notable wins lately, I doubt the writers would evolve him to fix that seeing as all it takes is a little spotlight and a new move for the weasel and he'll be back on top. Ask for the whole water Pokemon curse, I would have to agree with some of the above posters in that the writers don't evolve some of these Pokemon because they are possibly more marketable in their base form.(Ex. Piplup , Squirtle) I think the reason Krabby evolved is because the writers wanted to do something interesting with it since it wasn't going to be on the main team for any extended period of time anyhow.
theres no curse. charizard was ashs only fire pokemon that was evolved until not too long ago right?

~AussieWonder~

I'm sick of Buizel. Look at all of Ash's rivals, their teams are full of fully evolved Pokemon, and I cant find any reason for Buizel not to evolve. I mean, it's always striving to gain strength is it not? I don't find it a coincidence that one out of his five water Pokemon evolved.

STICKTOPIA

I'm sick of Buizel. Look at all of Ash's rivals, their teams are full of fully evolved Pokemon, and I cant find any reason for Buizel not to evolve. I mean, it's always striving to gain strength is it not? I don't find it a coincidence that one out of his five water Pokemon evolved.
he has 6 water pokemon. unless ur leaving out lapras b/c it cant evolve?

totallylost

That one guy...
No, he's leaving out Lapras because Ash doesn't own it anymore.

hol123, the spotlight isn't going to Staraptor (as much as he deserves it) Instead, its firmly placed on flame monkey.

thunderblade12

There are no patterns when it comes to evolution...

Grass types
Bulbasaur didn't evolve at all
Chikorita evolved once
Treecko evolved twice
Turtwig will have evolved either once or twice..more than likely once

Either way you slice it, there's no pattern. They wouldn't have had Turtwig evolve if they were going to go the "restart the pattern" route. You could argue that they're starting to count down now, Turtwig will evolve only once and Ash's grass type in the next generation won't evolve at all. The thing is, we don't know what will happen in the fifth generation. You can't claim there's a pattern for something that hasn't even happened yet.

Fire types
Charmander evolved twice
Cyndaquil didn't evolve at all
Torkoal couldn't evolve
Chimchar will either evolve once or twice

Again, no pattern

Water types
- Squitle didn't evolve because Charizard was the most popular evolved Kanto starter and Ash got that instead of Blastoise.
- Nothing evolved in Johto..That's Totodile's excuse. Not even the wildcard which usually do evolve, Phanphy.
- Corphish was comic relief and that wouldn't work if it were a Crawdaunt
- If Buizel doesn't evolve it's because it's more popular than it's evolved form and the other pokemon were more in need of evolution. Buizel was a promotional pokemon for DP, unlike Floatzel

Now while there may be a pattern at first sight if you really think about it you'll quickly see that that is just not true.

Why would the writers limit themselves by setting up ridiculous patterns?

Okay, scenerio. There is a widely popular water starter in the 5th generation. It's not girly so they decide to give it to Ash. The thing is, it's evolved form is even MORE popular. It's evolved form is as popular as Charizard was in Kanto. Can you really see the writers sitting around having this conversation? I can't

Writer: Great news! The new water starter's evolution, Hydrosaurus, is very popular! It's selling tons of plushies already!
Director: Oh well that's nice...
Writer: Yeah, so I was thinking..maybe we could evolve Ash's Hyrdotard into Hydrosaurus. Promoting it in the anime would make it even more popular
and more money for us, right?
Director: Blasphemy! We have a pattern to uphold!
Writer: But..
Director: I don't want to hear it! We've never evolved water pokemon and it's not changing how!
Writer: I thought the reason we didn't evolve the past water pokemon was for plot reasons
Director: Nope..it's just easier with the patterns..

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Director: I don't want to hear it! We've never evolved water pokemon and it's not changing how!

I'm with the director for an entirely different reason. If there's a Pokemon called "Hydrotard" I don't want it to ever evolve. Joking aside, I agree. I don't know why they would limit themselves like that, I don't think it would be easier either anyway, unless they're really lazy.

As for Buizel, I couldn't care less. I just want it to win some battles, please beat one of Barry's Pokemon if at all possible (in the upcoming episode). As much as I would prefer Monferno to show up, I'd much prefer Buizel/Grotle get a few wins, then the writers can focus on Monferno.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
The anime's trying to teach something about how you don't need to be the epitome of strength in order to conquer the every day challenges that need to be faced blah blah and if Buizel were to evolve it would only prove the point that unevolved Pokemon are too weak blah blah and if Buizel's been losing fights it's because the writers have some type of purpose in Builzel losing, primarily for battle effects so it doesn't look like Ash just completely sweeped the other team blah blah.

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer

Grass types
Bulbasaur didn't evolve at all
Chikorita evolved once
Treecko evolved twice
Turtwig will have evolved either once or twice..more than likely once

Either way you slice it, there's no pattern. They wouldn't have had Turtwig evolve if they were going to go the "restart the pattern" route. You could argue that they're starting to count down now, Turtwig will evolve only once and Ash's grass type in the next generation won't evolve at all. The thing is, we don't know what will happen in the fifth generation. You can't claim there's a pattern for something that hasn't even happened yet.

Fire types
Charmander evolved twice
Cyndaquil didn't evolve at all
Torkoal couldn't evolve
Chimchar will either evolve once or twice

Again, no pattern

Water types
- Squitle didn't evolve because Charizard was the most popular evolved Kanto starter and Ash got that instead of Blastoise.
- Nothing evolved in Johto..That's Totodile's excuse. Not even the wildcard which usually do evolve, Phanphy.
- Corphish was comic relief and that wouldn't work if it were a Crawdaunt
- If Buizel doesn't evolve it's because it's more popular than it's evolved form and the other pokemon were more in need of evolution. Buizel was a promotional pokemon for DP, unlike Floatzel

Now while there may be a pattern at first sight if you really think about it you'll quickly see that that is just not true.

Why would the writers limit themselves by setting up ridiculous patterns?

Okay, scenerio. There is a widely popular water starter in the 5th generation. It's not girly so they decide to give it to Ash. The thing is, it's evolved form is even MORE popular. It's evolved form is as popular as Charizard was in Kanto. Can you really see the writers sitting around having this conversation? I can't

Writer: Great news! The new water starter's evolution, Hydrosaurus, is very popular! It's selling tons of plushies already!
Director: Oh well that's nice...
Writer: Yeah, so I was thinking..maybe we could evolve Ash's Hyrdotard into Hydrosaurus. Promoting it in the anime would make it even more popular
and more money for us, right?
Director: Blasphemy! We have a pattern to uphold!
Writer: But..
Writer: I thought the reason we didn't evolve the past water pokemon was for plot reasons
Director: Nope..it's just easier with the patterns..

Real good explanation. I don't agree with this curse stuff. I agree with you on the fact that they (the writers) would/wouldnt evolve a pokemon based on its popularity among the fans of pokemon.

I also still believe that Buizel could go either way. He can get stronger AND win some battles soon and dont have to evolve or if evolving helps him get stronger, he can evolve into Floatzel. Either way, it doesnt matter to me.

hmmm

Scuffle of Legends
does buizel need to evolve? yes
will he evolve ? no
why? it has too much pride, and it is too forgotten

Typhlosion Trainer

Fire Trainer
does buizel need to evolve? yes
will he evolve ? no
why? it has too much pride, and it is too forgotten

Pride really has nothing to do with it. Just like what thunderblade said, Sceptile (when he was a treecko) had alot of pride, yet he still evolved.........twice. And, I dont think Buizel has been forgotten.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
No, he's leaving out Lapras because Ash doesn't own it anymore.

hol123, the spotlight isn't going to Staraptor (as much as he deserves it) Instead, its firmly placed on flame monkey.

I agree, partly. I see it shifting to Staraptor after 2 full seasons, which is good. The monkey has got it since the season finale of season 10. That's why I hate it so much.