• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are people still thinking that Buizel doesn't need to evolve?

uber gon

Accept Change
Buizel's problem is that it has weak moves

Come one,it could learn waterfall & make a combination of Aqua Jet & Waterfall or dunno...Ice Punch,Bulk Up?

That's kind of a problem for most of Ash's pokémon.

thunderblade12

Come to think of it, most of Paul's pokemon do have attacks that do 100+ damage game wise. Weavile and, I think, Hariyama and Lairon may be the only exceptions. Pikachu and Staraptor are really the only ones with really strong moves. Grotle and Gliscor have average strength moves like rock climb, energy ball, and X-scissor. Monferno and Buizel's movesets are kinda weak looking. They need a powerhouse attack, especially Buizel(evolve and learn razor wind?).

Paul also uses many defensive or powerup attacks such as light screen, protect, bulk up, and swords dance. He makes use of his pokemon's abilities too it seems, I guess that's why he had a boner for Chimchar's blaze. Ursaring's guts, Magmortar's flame body, Electabuzz's static, etc.

Ash never uses abilities. Blaze apparently powers up the monkey to godlike levels, shouldn't overgrow do the same for Grotle?

Since Buizel has swift swim, Ash should make use of it and power-up Buizel's water moves at the same time by teaching it rain dance.

Last edited:

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
I'm with the group that says Buizel won't evolve. I personally don't see it. Turtwig, Chimar, Starly, those I saw evolving. They were boring in their base forms. Buizel actually has the form to do interesting things. The writers have simply scaled him back for now. Gliscor and Monferno own the stage right now. It'll go back to Buizel in a little bit. My only concern is Grotle. His moveset doesn't bode for entertaining combat. Torterra, yes. He's big and powerful. Grotle isn't there yet.

Rampardo

There's no reason for it NOT to evolve.... and the only way it'll learn new moves is by evolving since it already has 4 moves, all of them being used frequently, whereas it even learned one in battle. This was the case with many other pokemon... evolution often equals to new attacks.

I'll say we will have Floatzel here before the league for sure.

Shinnie-tan

I don't think Buizel needs to evolve. Honestly, evolution isn't everything as various pre-evolved pokemon have proved time and time again in the anime. What Buizel does need to do is learn some new moves and improve it's defense and stamina. Return to that kick-*** weasel we saw in its debut.

bui

You said Buizel need to improve it defense and evolving will make it gain a new defense.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Don't be so sure about that.
The creators of the show won't let this happen because except Pikachu and Buizel all of Ash's pokemon has evolved. In every region at least 1 pokemon does not evolving.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Buizel's problem is that it has weak moves

I agree. It knows three water type attacks alone and only needs two at most (the close range Aqua Jet and the long range Water Pulse). He should lose Water Gun and possibly Sonic Boom and pick up something stronger.

That's kind of a problem for most of Ash's pokémon.

I think Monferno, Grotle, Staraptor's, and Gliscor's moves sets are fine.

Ash never uses abilities. Blaze apparently powers up the monkey to godlike levels, shouldn't overgrow do the same for Grotle?

It probably never activates because Ash has Grotle use Synthesis when its HP gets too low.

Dax

Legend
I agree about Buizel's moves. They give the pokemon no variety in battle, . IDK why it learned Water Pulse. It had two strong water attacks, it didn't need another one.=/

Concept

Führer of Fun
There's no reason for it NOT to evolve.... and the only way it'll learn new moves is by evolving since it already has 4 moves, all of them being used frequently, whereas it even learned one in battle. This was the case with many other pokemon... evolution often equals to new attacks.

Pikachu has 11, IIRC. The anime pays little attention to the games battle mechanics, which is why I think there's no need for Buizel the evolve; the writers will have it win and lose the same battles whether it evolves or not, so there's really no point other than to keep the "ZOMG no water type evolves!!11one!" fanboys happy, who have apparently never heard of Kingler.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'd like it to evolve because after Squirtle, Totodile and Corphish didn't, its getting really tiring seeing the water Poke always stay in its base form.

Danman

^^I agree with this but (for now at least) I don't think Buizel should evolve, I think Totodile and Corphish should have, but not Buizel.

dman_dustin

I think some of you need to stop using Kingler as an example of an evolved water type for Ash.

Because:

1. It was never on his main team like Squirtle, Totodile, Corphish, and Buizel.

2. When did Krabby evolve into Kingler? That's right 1998 and what year is it now? 2009. That's 11 years without "another" water Pokemon evolving.

Squirtle was a bit fresher than Kingler too, so you could argue, because Squirtle lasted longer, and was used after Krabby evolved, that Krabby/Kingler was Ash's first water type (yes even if he caught Squirtle first).

Concept

Führer of Fun
I think some of you need to stop using Kingler as an example of an evolved water type for Ash.

Because:

1. It was never on his main team like Squirtle, Totodile, Corphish, and Buizel.

2. When did Krabby evolve into Kingler? That's right 1998 and what year is it now? 2009. That's 11 years without "another" water Pokemon evolving.

Squirtle was a bit fresher than Kingler too, so you could argue, because Squirtle lasted longer, and was used after Krabby evolved, that Krabby/Kingler was Ash's first water type (yes even if he caught Squirtle first).

Great. I'm sure the writers will listen to you guys in exactly the same way they listened the the fanboys who clamoured for Bulbasaurs evolution back in the day. Or Cyndaquils. Or Totodiles. My point it, pokemon that never got an evolution despite fanboy pleading are a dime a dozen. Why should Buizel be any different?

Also, I still find it hilarious that people think that evolution will make it stronger. Get it into your heads; the writers will make all the battles go the same way whether it evolves or not; it'll shine through at the crucial moment, or get tossed aside easily, in exactly the same way. The only difference is that we get a bigger, uglier version of Buizel and the fanboys switch targets to "ZOMG Monferno needs to evolves !!!11one!1"

Honestly, this sort of rabid fanboy speculation gives pokemon fans a bad name.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Great. I'm sure the writers will listen to you guys in exactly the same way they listened the the fanboys who clamoured for Bulbasaurs evolution back in the day.

Um please read my earlier post, which is #18 and no I didn't contradict. I'm allowed to play devil's advocate, aren't I?

Concept

Führer of Fun
Um please read my earlier post, which is #18 and no I didn't contradict. I'm allowed to play devil's advocate, aren't I?

There's a reason for the plural "guys". Feel free to play devils advocate :p. It's fun, but you can fully expect fanboys of both sides to flame you to hell and back.

Articuno13

RBY Master
I highly doubt Buizel will evolve because none of Ash's other water types on his main team (Squirtle, Totodile, and Corphish) have evolved.

shac

I, personally, do not want buisel to evolve since it is one of my more favorite pokemon of Sinnoh. But I agree, Buisel does need stronger moves. And proper defensive moves rather than that crappy break-dancing water gun.