• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Pokedex Entries Getting Too Sick?

No, they aren't sick. And I doubt the entries would scar children in any way, rather thinking of how "awesome" they truly are.
Silyijo, that is so true. I mean, so what? Ooh, dead children! Kids should know that they will die someday.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
My problem other then it being mean spirited and not exactly the best things we should be including in a game made mostly for children is that it can eventually be used as fuel for one of the many groups who attack the franchise and really there is no way Game-freak can defend themselves if that happens.
I don't think it would take one bad pokédex entry to topple the franchise. Controversies have happened regarding Pokémon before, and it hasn't destroyed it. There were some objections to jynx's blackface-y look, which had little effect beyond jynx being made look a bit different and keeping what couldn't be edited from being broadcast where people would have a problem with it. Uri Geller also objected to Pokémon's basing kadabra off of him and that didn't affect the franchise at all. If a dex entry truly crosses the line, it'll probably just be replaced and life will go on for Pokémon. Very unlikely to truly leave a mark.

And I'm not really getting what's so awful about some of these. Kabutops's entry just describes how it hunts. I'm pretty sure most 10-year-olds are at least somewhat aware that animals have predatory habits. I can kind of understand the bleak ones a bit more like some of the ghosts, but honestly I've always thought it makes sense for the ghosts' mythology to be a little spooky. Kids tell each other ghost stories without always inflicting trauma on each other.

Really, when I spend time with kids, I recall them talking about violence and death without any sort of prompt. I think references to death in print form aren't too damaging (graphic visual violence might have worse effects, but it's doubtful that a child will get traumatized from their own imagination). In a way, I think a lot of the things that people find too much for children actually bothers adults more than it does children.

Joth

Back from the Dead
Honestly, the dex is crap. Ponyta jumping over Prisim Tower? Never take anything the dex says seriously enough to mess up the game for you. Yeah, Litwick, Phantump, Hypno and the likes are pretty creepy, but it's supposed to be like that. It adds depth to the Pokémon. As crappy as it is, Pokémon would be so much worse without that little tidbit, however morbid or ludicrous. And Litwick and Phantump are too damn cute to be taken seriously.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
What I think is sick is the amount of people thinking they know what the series is about and if the creators approve of something that isn't to their liking they start claiming it as "disturbing".

GameFreak is the first place the 'dex entries must be approved followed by Nintendo. That means there is a whole team making sure the 'dex entries are acceptable for the series that they have created/funded.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I do agree that the PokéDex entries are messed up.

But would these PokéDex entries really give children nightmares? I highly doubt it because PokéDex entries are nothing more but text.

More specifically short text.

I think things they SEE will more likely give them nightmares than things they read.

That's why violent movies with guns as well as scary horror movies are rated R. These will give children nightmares, but not harmless text.

And most people I know who look deeply into the PokéDex entries are adults. I doubt children would care that much.

Enjolras

Master of the House
The kids young enough to be scared by the Pokedex entries probably won't even read them. I remember as an 8 year old kid, I just skipped right past it. Not to mention, its not like the entries are extremely graphic or detailed. No, it's just a sentence giving a bit of information. Nothing too nightmare inducing.

New Entries are fine. I'm just not sure if Japan is ever going to do anymore after Generation 6 because of all the specific types of pokemon, basic and legendary for all the things, animals, and places they are based on or represent, it seems that Generation 6 maybe the last one. I do love Pokemon so much, I'm just not sure what else is out there for the Japanese to base any new ones of of

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
New Entries are fine. I'm just not sure if Japan is ever going to do anymore after Generation 6 because of all the specific types of pokemon, basic and legendary for all the things, animals, and places they are based on or represent, it seems that Generation 6 maybe the last one. I do love Pokemon so much, I'm just not sure what else is out there for the Japanese to base any new ones of of

As long as the games make a bunch of money, the franchise is not ending any time soon.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
Just as long as the dex entries do not contain anything inappropriate or 'naughty' content, it should be fine.

UltimatePokemonExpert

Experienced Trainer
I usually prefer Pokémon staying on the lighter side too because if anything I enjoy that the game can be great without having too dark or mean of a world. However, I wouldn't call any Pokédex entries 'sick'. I always saw the Pokédex entries as flavor text anyways. I mean, come on, some of the stuff in the Pokédex just don't make sense, even by fictional means.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I usually prefer Pokémon staying on the lighter side too because if anything I enjoy that the game can be great without having too dark or mean of a world. However, I wouldn't call any Pokédex entries 'sick'. I always saw the Pokédex entries as flavor text anyways. I mean, come on, some of the stuff in the Pokédex just don't make sense, even by fictional means.

I've grown tired of Pokémon being so light.

When Ghetsis tried to impale me in B2, I was in impressed. When I saw how he was speaking to N, I was in awe. I felt Pokémon was finally crossing over into a more mature position. Even with Malva stating how she wants to kill the player, and even with Lysandre trying to kill everyone, X & Y was still too light. I would love to see a Pokémon game with a more dark, grim tone, much like B2/W2, only better.

The Pokédex entries seem to be my only comfort in hoping Pokémon becomes more mature.

No, they're not getting to sick.
There's just exaggerations or dramatizations to make the Pokemon sound cooler (or scarier).

They're not meant to be taken that seriously, anyway.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
No way.
Things like that aren't creepy/depressing to a child playing the games. People are all over that Lavender music, claiming it's so scary and stuff. Did I find that scary when I played through Yellow as a child? Hell no, nor did any of my friends or people I knew. Same goes for PokéDex entries. I never found anything in the Dex entries scary or creepy or depressing, lol. Not at young age, not now.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I've grown tired of Pokémon being so light.

When Ghetsis tried to impale me in B2, I was in impressed. When I saw how he was speaking to N, I was in awe. I felt Pokémon was finally crossing over into a more mature position. Even with Malva stating how she wants to kill the player, and even with Lysandre trying to kill everyone, X & Y was still too light. I would love to see a Pokémon game with a more dark, grim tone, much like B2/W2, only better.

The Pokédex entries seem to be my only comfort in hoping Pokémon becomes more mature.

So you want bloody violence, swearing and stuff like that?

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding this post, but it seems to me that you want something like that.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So you want bloody violence, swearing and stuff like that?

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding this post, but it seems to me that you want something like that.

I don't get how people can take something and blow it up so quickly.

Saying I want Pokémon to be more mature does not mean I want it to be like Grand Theft Auto. What I honestly wouldn't mind is a T rating. I'm actually surprised B2/W2 didn't get one. Nevertheless, I pretty much would prefer if the nature of the games weren't so child-friendly. It holds back so much, like character development.

Huhadude

Banned
Yes it's not reliable but they only put the entries there for players to be more interested in those Pokemon or like know something about the Pokemon.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Yes some of them are messed up but at least Nintendo threw in some stuff for the more mature pokemon fans that actually read the pokedex entries.

What I don't get is people bond with these things in pokemon. A trainer bonding with phanthump is like bonding with a dead child. If you ask me that's the thing that creeps me out and either way, it creeps me out a little bit, it doesn't creep me out so much that I look behind my shoulder to see if a hypno is there.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Yes some of them are messed up but at least Nintendo threw in some stuff for the more mature pokemon fans that actually read the pokedex entries.

What I don't get is people bond with these things in pokemon. A trainer bonding with phanthump is like bonding with a dead child. If you ask me that's the thing that creeps me out and either way, it creeps me out a little bit, it doesn't creep me out so much that I look behind my shoulder to see if a hypno is there.

I don't know. That really seems kind of sweet to me. Phantump is the spirit of a child, and because of that is still a child, just inhabiting a tree stump. I think of it as a lonely little kid who needs someone.