• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Pokemon animated movies still a thing?

BlueDragonfangirl

We haven't heard an announcement on the next film yet right?

I'm talking animated not live action :/

Red and Blue

There hasn't been a movie since M23 due to covid presumably. That might change for Gen 9

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I do wonder that whether due to movie plans being shifted, the games held off on introducing a new mythical for gen 8 and instead may shift that mythical to gen 9
I doubt Zarude was the only gen 8 mythical planned

Blood Red

【推しの子】
It'll probably happen at some point, but the movies that were gonna happen these couple years are presumably lost forever. I just hope the same fate doesn't befall the mythicals.

ShadowForce720

It'll probably happen at some point, but the movies that were gonna happen these couple years are presumably lost forever. I just hope the same fate doesn't befall the mythicals.
I mean if you look at some the past betas for Pokémon Gold&Silver and some of the other games there is clear instances of them redesign some Pokémon and eventually putting them in a future game.

If I recall there was an interview or something where they said that don’t scrap any of the designs. They probably will move any other mythicals that were planned for gen 8 to gen 9 or a later generation.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I've been wondering the same for quite a long time actually. No new info since M23 came out. Are they still? I miss them

thor94

Covid probably threw their whole schedule off. Didn’t Iwane said covid said affected the working environment?
In fact animation industry thrived with covid. Unlike live action movie, they were not really impacted by covid since there is no shooting, and only minimum travel in small group. almost the entire animation production line only require a good computer to work, computer that can even be brought to work at home.
So, i doubt Covid is to blame for the lack of movie, it more lack of inspiration for a journey movie.

Red and Blue

I doubt a lack of inspiration was the problem. With the Sword and Shield DLC and Legends Arceus there was plenty they could have pulled from for two more films after M23.

It's not like they had trouble coming up with ideas in the past.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I do wonder that whether due to movie plans being shifted, the games held off on introducing a new mythical for gen 8 and instead may shift that mythical to gen 9
I doubt Zarude was the only gen 8 mythical planned

If I had to guess, 2021's movie would have been around Pokémon Legends Arceus with all of the new Pokémon of the Hisui region. Perhaps a time travel story with Ash?

Keep in mind, it wasn't just the animation industry that was delayed, it was everything. That includes the games. I suspect that Diamond and Pearl remakes were supposed to be released much earlier with Legends Arceus being the Christmas release. But COVID-19 delayed all of it. So, it's impossible to know what exactly went off schedule without some production news leak.

Golden Darkness

Spikeshell Trainer
The economics for an annual Pokemon movie may not be as favorable as well. Even attendance in Japan had been declining. And their ability to draw attention to new mythicals and new generation of Pokemon isn't needed in this era compared to pre-Social Media/online video.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I just assume the marketing department saw it was not worthwhile to invest in a movie.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
The economics for an annual Pokemon movie may not be as favorable as well. Even attendance in Japan had been declining. And their ability to draw attention to new mythicals and new generation of Pokemon isn't needed in this era compared to pre-Social Media/online video.
That is most likely the reason. A quick Google search shows that Pokémon the Movie: Secrets of the Jungle made a box office of only about $23 million USD which is pretty awful for a film from one of the largest entertainment franchises to ever exist. Covid was just a good excuse for the anime team to end the film series. I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out the mythicals that were supposed to be after Zarude were saved for the SwSh DLC, I mean, just look at Calyrex, its design practically screams mythical ... though I think it would be more accurate to think of Urshifu and Calyrex as DLC mascots. Perhaps, this is what GameFreak will do for Scarlet/Violet, too.

TBH, I've always found the movies to come off a little fanfiction-y at times. The human characters can be a bit OOC and the circumstances in which they befriend or meet the mythical of the year sometimes seem like very strange coincidences. I mean, it just so happens that Ash is always in the right part of whichever region he is visiting and at the right moment to meet a new mythical over 20 times?

Last edited:

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
That is most likely the reason. A quick Google search shows that Pokémon the Movie: Secrets of the Jungle made a box office of only about $23 million USD which is pretty awful for a film from one of the largest entertainment franchises to ever exist. Covid was just a good excuse for the anime team to end the film series. I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out the mythicals that were supposed to be after Zarude were saved for the SwSh DLC, I mean, just look at Calyrex, its design practically screams mythical ... though I think it would be more accurate to think of Urshifu and Calyrex as DLC mascots. Perhaps, this is what GameFreak will do for Scarlet/Violet, too.

TBH, I've always found the movies to come off a little fanfiction-y at times. The human characters can be a bit OOC and the circumstances in which they befriend or meet the mythical of the year sometimes seem like very strange coincidences. I mean, it just so happens that Ash is always in the right part of whichever region he is visiting and at the right moment to meet a new mythical over 20 times?
I agree with Calyrex screeming Mythical.

I could also see Enamorus as a Mythical (similar to Keldeo) as if it wasn't for COVID I could totally see a movie celebrating Legends.

The movie Schedule itself I think moved from mid-July to later December which seems like an overcrowded timeframe.