1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Are Pokemon designs getting lazy?

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by Change is good, Jan 2, 2013.

?

Are Pokemon designs getting lazy?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    82.7%
  1. Change is good

Change is good Constally changing

People often point to the the Vanillite line and Trubbish line as examples of this but in reality all gens have their lazy Pokemon designs.

2. carboncopy

carboncopy (-) (-) (-) (-)

No way ! the fact that Sugimori still does the art tells you how passionate he is towards each poke design. Heck I think they gave as much as thought to each gen 5 poke as they did to gen 1. Not all designs should be cool you know. They have to have some gimmick pokemon, some cute ones, some normal ones and some powerful ones. Due to their nature some designs say not appeal to everyone. But, you cant say a design is lazy.
    I love vanillite and my bro loves garbador ( probably coz he is so dirty :) )

3. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

A dozen of Pokemon you dislike and you say the Pokemon serie is getting lazy? Of course not. Pokemon surprised the majority of fans by now and will surprise even more further. Just don't expect to like all the Pokemons they'll create, it's predictable that the design of some will disturb you.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. SimH8

SimH8 Well-Known Member

I know earlier gens had bad ideas for pokemon, but I just can't get over the fact the really based a pokemon off ice cream.

5. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

You just answered your own question.

But you're fine with eggs, piles of sludge, and magnets, of course.

6. Quilava42

Quilava42 Blazing Flowers

I'd say that Sugimori wanted to make these Pokemon(though he didn't even make the Trubbish line). Creativity comes in hand. What matters is if you enjoy them, not by their designs. And really, if they are lazy, then they shouldn't even be official Pokemon then.

7. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

Vanillite and Trubbish just get exaggerated to be uncreative, lazy, running out of ideas, etc... none of which is the case, they are simply less used concepts, but there still has been Pokemon based on food as well as gross things. Vanillite and Trubbish are just proof that Pokemon is still able to use new things each time and make it work, everyone may not like them for whatever personal reason, but it's irrelevant, no Pokemon is universally liked, each one will have at least one person who doesn't like it to some degree.

8. My opinion..;Please don't be rude and my apologies if this may be disagreeable just for future notice, Okay I feel like the pokémon are getting sloppy...truth is..not really their best work..I look back at the gens before the 5th gen and seem...just plain..you know... I agree that pokémon from the past weren't as great as well like the egg xP

9. Um, explain which ones were plain and why? I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about~

10. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

It's a matter of personal perception, people are going to like different things or simply lose interest(And it's really usually the latter). When it comes down to it though, each generation introduces at least 100 new Pokemon, there's going to be a bunch of diversity. Each generation has Pokemon with different concepts put into it, simple, complex, different/weird and they each add a few to each.

There's really nothing wrong with any of the Pokemon designs though, people are just always going to like and dislike all of the designs is all.

11. Specialbeamcanon

Specialbeamcanon SUCH PERFECTION

I honesty don't really care. There just designs, big deal. That doesn't separate the fact that just like their older designs, they are just creatures with elemental powers and design aspects.
    I feel like I'm the only person in this planet who doesn't really care if the pokemon is old or new. They're still imaginary creatures made by Gamefreak and I feel like this debate of "designs are different" is utterly pointless and is not worth your time at all.

12. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

Yes, Pokemon is most a matter of like and dislike. Some people like Trubbish and Vanillite, for example.

Maybe, it is easier to accept a Pokemon as young as you are.

13. Zecaomes

Zecaomes Hey Scotty,Jesus Man

It's natural to people who play the game for more time to think that the new Pokémon are not as good as the old ones. I mean, most people from here have grown up with the Gen I Pokémon. But the design is not getting lazy. It would be lazy if they lacked details and seemed like made in a rush, but they probably took a while to be drawn. Even ugly designs, such as Trubbbish, had a lot of effort put into them.

And, about the inspiration: I don't see any problem with an ice-cream or thrash Pokkémon. We've had eggs, piles of sludge, magnets. Pokémon are not only animals, they're based on every type of thing that may or may not exist in the real world. Each region has its bad designs and cool designs. And, honestly, is not getting worse. Gen V has some of the most cool designs ever. I mean, Eeleektross, Serperior, Swanna, Reuniclus, Gigalith, Cofagrigus and others are just awesome

14. Arlo

Arlo ...and so on...

I find the whole notion of people who are sitting at their computers browsing a forum in between rounds of playing pokemon accusing full-time professional game developers of being "lazy" to be ludicrous.

15. adamfitz

adamfitz poké-lover

Please look at zeckrom and reshiram com paired to other legendaries if anything there getting more complex

16. SimH8

SimH8 Well-Known Member

I did kind of acknowledge "earlier gens had bad ideas for pokemon" :p

17. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

You acknowledge that other generations had equal shortcomings, but single out Gen V anyway?

18. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

No. If anything, I think they are getting more effort put into them.

19. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

The amount of rehashing they've been doing lately is a bit problematic, but aside from that, no.

20. cascadethewarrior

cascadethewarrior ~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~

I don't understand why people have a problem with those lines anyway. Are they implying that because they look so similar to an Ice cream cone and a Garbage bag that they are lazy? If that is the case, why does something have to be overly complex? Why can't some designs be basic looking. Or are they implying that they've seen it before? Then that is false because no where(in the Pokemon world at least) have they made something based off of garbage and ice cream.