• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Pokemon designs getting lazy?

Are Pokemon designs getting lazy?

• Yes

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 62 82.7%

• Total voters

InsaneStar7

Technophile Trainer
The designs for the 5th gen are getting more creative, and less bland like adding interesting stuff on the designs like more colors, interesting patterns, and other stuff. So no, the visual designs are not lazy. The older generation (like the 1st gen and maybe the 2nd gen) are bland because some (or most?) Pokémon designs are simple like Ditto is just a plain pink blob, Grimer is just a pile of purple sludge and it's evolution Muk, it's just a bigger version of Grimer, only meaner. Voltorb is like a Pokéball with two colors with eyes, and it's evolution Electrode is just a bigger upside-down Pokéball with a face. It's been over like a decade that those older gen Pokémon visual designs haven't been changed (not talking about sprite quality and resolution) to look modern in this day.

Axel.

My opinion never changed much. There have always been some I like and some I didn't. If anything they're getting more original with the designs and even the names. Mankey is as much of an example as many of the earlier pokemon.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
If people are only complaining about four new evolution chains out of... a whole bunch then I doubt they are getting lazy.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
I thought not... then, the anouncement of Gen VI came...

OH WOW A FLYING Y AND A DEER THAT LOOKS LIKE DIALGA... um... yay?

gliscor&yanmega

I thought not... then, the anouncement of Gen VI came...

OH WOW A FLYING Y AND A DEER THAT LOOKS LIKE DIALGA... um... yay?

Pretty sure they put more thought into their designs then that. Their's enough reasoning that they have a few different possible concepts, all of which are basically brand new for the franchise.

X and Y still look different from the rest of the Pokemon anyways.

Rex Kamex

Nope. I may not like all of the designs, but I don't think they are lazy. I think they create pokemon with a correlation in mind.
Look at the Chandelure line for instance. It take it's inspiration from ghostly flames and those moments in scary movies where candles and chandeliers flick on suddenly.
You look at that and you instantly think ok it's got to be a Fire type. Not to mention that most pokemon of the same type generally share a common color.

The scariness is what I like about that line of Pokemon. They could've just made it a regular candle, lamp, and chandelier (when I only saw they were Fire-type I kinda thought those Pokemon were interesting), but adding the scary theme along with it takes things a step further (although how big of a step it subjective). Realizing they were also Ghost-type made me really like these Pokemon (and not consider them lazy- well, I never considered them lazy anyway).

gliscor&yanmega said:
Pretty sure they put more thought into their designs then that.

Right. We don't know that much about them so far.

Last edited: