• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Pokemon designs really getting uglier each Gen?

Are Pokemon Designs really getting weirder?

• Yes sadly I think they are

Votes: 72 19.5%
  • No, all Gens had ugly Pokemon (INCLUDING GEN 1)

Votes: 178 48.1%
  • No way, I love Pokemon whatever they look like.

Votes: 120 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoopes

There it is.
Everyone has their own opinion. But I think that we can all agree that each gen has its good Pokemon and its bad Pokemon. So let's just leave it at that.

Kalosian

So long
I feel that it if anything, the Pokemon designs are getting better with each generation, not worse. Many of the older Pokemon look terrible in comparison to the newer ones. I can never understand people who love the older Pokemon but hate the new ones.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Gardevoir is uglier than venusaur. Make that what you will.

The great MugoUrth says "YES!"

...What? just cause I stick out for the later gens doesn't mean there aren't later gen monster I don't like.

Original =/= not ugly.

(IMO, Jynx wasn't that bad. I think they just over done it with her features, like the lips, etc. Now Torterra was worse, to me that is)

ChedWick

Uglier? Perhaps. It's really a matter of opinion but one can draw at least one observational fact. The design style has indeed changed.

I lean more toward the phrase, over designed rather than ugly. I prefer the simpler designed pokemon, ones that when you look at you could picture in the real world. Fewer and fewer pull this off for me. Some are more original than others with out being over designed but they are few. Oh and for FFS an ice-cream cone pokemon is not "creative"

Hawkes70

I think our minds work like this, we want pokemon to look like they are a pokemon, not just some ones doodly which has just been thrown into the game.

For a previous poster: Grimer is awesome

The only pokemon that i dont think looks "right" as a pokemon are Cofagrigus, Arceus, Cresselia and Bisharp, Pawniard and Sigilyph

spuds4ever

In my opinion, Generation five is the best. The designs are just top notch. I especially like the Klink and Vanillite lines.

I don't see how people can honestly say the designs are hurting the franchise, when Black and White were two of the best selling Pokémon games ever. The generations are just getting better and better.

Wow. Really? Klind and vanil lines were the two of the most stupid lines I ever saw. But I guess at the end of the day it's just down to opinion.

Anyway, there have always been ugly pokemon, it's like the omnipresent curse of the franchise. Some are definetely worse than others (for example, jynx has never been pretty but spoink is a down-right disgrace).

I think that very slowly the designs have been getting a little worse as nintendo start running out of ideas and there are some truly pointless pokemon imo that nintendo didn't need to make and just made the games worse but there are definetely redeeming features in the 5th gen like Volcarano, Haxorus, Gigalith. But I just think Nintendo needs to think more about the designs.

In practice, realease less but better and more purposeful pokemon.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Depends, but IMO, some are getting uglier, some are nicer but all had ugly Pokes as the Generations passes by. In fact, some are getting more and more creative and all Gens have very nice, creative looking Pokemon with them alongside the ugly ones. Sometimes, I kinda wish my 5th gen games would work so I can answer in a better way. Besides, there are some Pokemon I consider as ugly (Grimer, Trubbish to name a few)

Instead on focusing on what's ugly in every gen, Focus instead on what awesome Pokemon there is and just ignore any ugly Pokemon that are there. ;)

But of course, we should just stick to our own beliefs, but let's not be too judgmental. :)

Peace!

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Every gen has its ugly pokemon, its cool pokemon, its cute pokemon...honestly, saying that they keep getting uglier is all a matter of opinion.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Uhh, this is kind of an opinion.

I really really like the 5th Gen designs. It's my favorite of all the gens. Some may agree, some may disagree, it's all preference.

Some people totally hate the 5th gen designs, and happen to be in a higher position to voice their opinions. But it's not hurting the franchise entirely. EVERYTHING has hate on it. And the sales; Black and White sold almost as much as HG/SS did in its first couple of months. It took HG/SS almost a year or two to reach the numbers B/W did. So it's not hurting the franchise; the franchise has actually picked up since last year.

So, to answer the question, no. Pokemon designs are not necessarily getting uglier each gen. People just have opinions.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
I will say that I think 5th gen. has a very different style to it as far as artistic design of the pokemon, more so than the other generations. At first I didn't like it as much, but it has definitely grown on me.

I personally think that every generation has had its fair share of good and bad designs. This is coming from someone who started playing with Red version and has followed the games through all of their incarnations.

And I really don't understand why the Vanillite line has so many haters.. It was actually one of my favorite designs from the very start! Obviously, people have different opinions on what is "creative".

Gen 1 and Gen 3 are pretty cool.
Rest is garbage.
I think the Tyranitar and Gliscor in your sig would like to have a word with you... ;)

Last edited:

FieryLucario

Just a Person
It's both, some are getting uglier some are getting cuter, but then again all gens have uglie Pokemon

Falconx03

Legendary
In response to all the Trubbish line and Vanillite line hate. You are all looking at it from the wrong perspective. You are looking at it as ice-cream and trash-bag Pokemon are lazy designs since previous gens didn't have designs like that and nearly every other Pokemon is designed from an animal, monster, ancient myth(is that the word?). While Gen 5 is based off of North America and United States, trash-bag and ice-cream Pokemon make sense since Americans in general tend to have trash all over the place and really enjoy ice-cream, although the latter isn't just for Americans.

chikorita185

So iheard you liek?
I really like almost all of the designs with generation 2 being my favourite
reuniclus holds top for best design imo

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Each region has had ugly pokemon especially hoenn and sinnoh (kanto big time yeah) I think some designs are getting good while others are worse but all generations have had this problem already.

The Arceus Delusion

In Arceus We Trust
Uglier? Perhaps. It's really a matter of opinion but one can draw at least one observational fact. The design style has indeed changed.

I lean more toward the phrase, over designed rather than ugly. I prefer the simpler designed pokemon, ones that when you look at you could picture in the real world. Fewer and fewer pull this off for me. Some are more original than others with out being over designed but they are few. Oh and for FFS an ice-cream cone pokemon is not "creative"

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't think the designs are getting uglier, just more complex. I mean, just look at the complexity of Zekrom's or Genesect's design. Does that look like anything we would have got in Gen 1?

So yes, the art style has definitely changed, and in a way, I do like the more simple looking Pokemon from gen 1 more, but I'm fairly content with what we have.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
I just looked Zeldainformer's discussion about pokemon designs and I just feel offended that the Pokemon design is really "hurting" the pokemon franchise. Do you think that the Pokemon designs are getting to weird or think this Pokemon design criticism is getting too far.

Euthanize the non-believers! Sugimori's art style has changed over time, for better or for worse. The real question is why you care so much and keep making threads like this.

Last edited:

Zino

Ice Cream Truck
I have to admit, at first glance 5th gen Pokémon did look ugly to me (even the cutest thing ever called Oshawott). But after actually getting the game (and well, watching the anime) I quickly released how awesome their designs are. Only the Kami-trio hasn't stolen my heart yet. :'D But I think this gen has some of my fav desings so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.