• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Pokemon designs really getting uglier each Gen?

Are Pokemon Designs really getting weirder?

• Yes sadly I think they are

Votes: 72 19.5%
  • No, all Gens had ugly Pokemon (INCLUDING GEN 1)

Votes: 178 48.1%
  • No way, I love Pokemon whatever they look like.

Votes: 120 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthia100

Well, the reason we all like the older pokemon better was because believe it or not, the original 151 pokemon, (not the glitch pokemon *pokes missingno*) looked more like natural. Compare Pidgey to Starly. Starly looks rather toonish compared to Pidgey. Another factor would be the fact that Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow aren't exactly High Definition Graphics, and unless you watched the Anime, you really had only a basic idea of what they looked like. The rest was left to your imagination. It really wasn't till Pokemon Gold/Silver Version came out that you really had a clear, visual idea of what they looked like. Since then pokemon have looked a little more toonish. Because a realistic new pokemon would make it look a little to intimidating to younger players.

F**K.
Every generation has it's share of stupid, ugly, and/or weird designs. The people saying "Oh, the first generation was beast! The others SUCK." are just people who only played Red/Blue/Yellow, and are afraid of change, and don't like the new designs because it's not what they grew up with. Look at ME. I grew up with the third generation and I love the new generation, the fifth generation has some of my favorite Pokemon; But I love the first generation too, and I don't hate on any of them.

PS: If Trubbish was in the first generation, you'd ALL keep your mouths shut. I don't see how a trash bag is any less uncreative/weird than a pile of sludge (Muk). Just sayin'.

Kitsunetsuki

Guardiana Cristálica
They're becoming better in such an outstanding way. People who still believe Gen I is the one and only are wrong. If I said: "Hey, who's more cute? Vanilluxe or Krabby?" I know all of you would go for the poor and underlooked Vanilluxe.

Pokémon has changed for the best, so we must accept what it is: A game of Pocket Monsters, not Cinderellas.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
"Uglier" is a purely subjective term, so it's impossible to measure. Therefore, nobody can truthfully say that pokemon are or are not getting uglier each gen.

If you're asking for my opinion, though, (which can't be argued against because it's my opinion) then I think nothing has changed at all since gen 1. Gen 3 had my favorite designs, but that doesn't mean any others are ugly.

Last edited:

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Weirder is a matter of opinion, but I would say they're getting more complex and unique. Every Generation has ugly pokemon though, including the first.

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
All it is is a bunch of Gen 1 guys and gals talking crap about the new pokemon. IMO the newer ones are a heck of a lot better. WHich would you use? A friendly dragon or a Bad*** ferocious one?

i totally agree with you XD

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
The way I see it, every gen has had some awful pokeon. Gen 1 is my favorite but Gen 4 is my second favorite. Examples

Gen 1: Grimer and Muk, Paras and Parasect

Gen 2: Dunsparce, Stantler, Delibird

Gen 3: Spinda, I'm sure there are more but I'm tired.

Gen 4: Froslass, Shellos but not gastrodon

Gen 5: Vanilite line, Trubbish line

WillieNelson

Bueaty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I agree that every gen has it's fair shre of ulgy Pokemon such as Kingler, Gligar, Feebas, Rosarade (it looks like an old lady to me), and Servine (although I love Snivy and Serperior), and uncreative Pokemon such as Voltorb, Electrode, Grimer and Muk.

Ioneos

old geezer
The fans are just getting more and more grouchy, cranky, and demanding. Think about what would happen if a Pokemon like Clefairy came out in Gen 6.

kilroy40

Brock 'n' Roll
The likability of Poke'mon designs are a matter of opinion, and reading all the previous post, everyone has their own favorite generation.

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

EVERY gen had it's ugly and stupid Pokemon. Gen 1 included.
How many Pokemon in gen 1 is just 3 of the last one (Weezing, Magneton, Dugtrio)? And Tuaros is almost exact to an actual bull.
Gen 2 had a giraffe with a tail with a face, and a freaking yellow and blue leech with fangs (Dunsparce).
Gen 3 had a Mexican stereotype and a pig that relies on it's tail to stand.
Gen 4 is where people starting hating. However, they FINALLY made a flying-type that doesn't rely on wings (Drifloon, Drifblim). They made a badass dragon shark known as Garchomp, and a freaking portal coming out of a stone referred to as Spiritomb.
Gen 5. I want to set something straight here. I agree that Trubbish/Garbador looks retarded, but I really want to talk about Vanillite/Vannilish/Vanilluxe. When it's fully evolved, it's one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game. So, in multiplayer, you can say: "Ha, you're Haxorus just got beaten by ice cream". Think about it.

Last edited:

Zachmac

The fans are just getting more and more grouchy, cranky, and demanding. Think about what would happen if a Pokemon like Clefairy came out in Gen 6.
It did happen.

It's mostly insulted for being a "Chasey rip off".
When it's fully evolved, it's one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game.
This is a joke, right? Ice type only resist ice, and is weak to rock and fighting, which are both very common attacking types. At least competitively. Also, still speaking competitively, it's movepool isn't really good...

Among the most powerful entered in gen 5 are Ferrothorn, which is a pretty good defensive threat. Excadril, which is deadly during a sand storm(which is easily provided by T-tar), Reuniclus, which despite it's "meh" typing, it's stats and ability make it amazing, and Hydreigon, which has all around great stats and movepool. Oh, right, Terrakion is pretty deadly, especially with a choice band.

I'm not going to stop someone from using it in-game though.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
However, they FINALLY made a flying-type that doesn't rely on wings (Drifloon, Drifblim).

I think there is one flying type you forget. I'll let you figure it out, since it doesn't necessarily pertain to the thread.

As for my thoughts on the subject, I say it's all a matter of opinion. Some people like certain pokemon and dislike others based on their own preferences. The view that creativity falls each gen usually comes from all of those nostalgia freaks who don't like change. Those guys just need to learn that the world always will progress, in one way or another.

It is their opinion, and each is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean their opinion will be correct.

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

I think there is one flying type you forget. I'll let you figure it out, since it doesn't necessarily pertain to the thread.

As for my thoughts on the subject, I say it's all a matter of opinion. Some people like certain pokemon and dislike others based on their own preferences. The view that creativity falls each gen usually comes from all of those nostalgia freaks who don't like change. Those guys just need to learn that the world always will progress, in one way or another.

It is their opinion, and each is entitled to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean their opinion will be correct.

Well, yes, Gyrados, but Gyrados was supposed to be a dragon type. It is a flying type because the Water-Dragon combo's only weakness is Dragon, and the only Dragon type move in the original games was Dragon Rage, which was only 40 DMG. Thus Gyrados has no weakness. They kept Water-Flying on it to this day.
And I guess Dodrio.
Shaymin... I have no clue how it's a flying type, so disregard that. And Tornadus was introduced after Drifloon, so, yep.
I just checked again, I saw Rayquaza. Meeeeeeeh.

Profesco

gone gently
Profesco used Hi Bump Kick!

Status
Not open for further replies.