• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Pokemon designs really getting uglier each Gen?

Are Pokemon Designs really getting weirder?

• Yes sadly I think they are

Votes: 72 19.5%
  • No, all Gens had ugly Pokemon (INCLUDING GEN 1)

Votes: 178 48.1%
  • No way, I love Pokemon whatever they look like.

Votes: 120 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilluxe

Gear Grind~
I don't understand why people in this thread are saying 'Ohh the lamp and candle and ice cream and such just aren't Pokémon'

Gamefreak has created them, meaning they are Pokémon, whether you like it or not. They exist, get over it. We could complain til we're blue in the face, Gamefreak do what they please.

Could you imagine how boring and repetitive it'd be if every single Pokémon was based off of animals and insects?

We've had inanimate objects as Pokémon since the beginning, it's nothing new. I'm sorry if it's so hard for some of you to just think outside of the box.

Last edited:
o_O When did anyone say that? I think Vanillite's line is somewhat derpy, but I still considered them Pokemon. Vanilluxe is actually quite good.

Darkmagiciangirl

OpInIoNaTeD at <3
It depends on personal opinion and taste. If they look cool and poke-like to you, there's nothing more to it. However, if you want to go technical - the desings has changed alot, with each gen bringing new and innovative ideas forth.

It's only because of the sentiment old fans have for the originals that they say newer ones are bad, and that's fine, hjust don't try changing some one else's mind - you'll soon find you're getting nowhere fast. ^^

Last edited:
The opinion about the pokemon designs getting uglier each gen is really just that, an opinion shared by many of the people that hate all generations other than gen 1 unconditionally. If someone said that B/W as pokemon games suck compared to past gens, while I would have to agree with them due to the general lack of most of the good traits of a pokemon game, it's still just an opinion.

-Resident evil ;461;

It depends on personal opinion and taste. If they look cool to you, there's nothing more to it. However, if you want do go technical - the desings has changed alot, with each gen bringing new and innovative ideas forth.

It's only because of the sentiment old fans have for the originals, so it's completley fine to say they're bad for you, however that doesn't make it true for some one else.

This. Everyone says they're running out of ideas, when what's really happening is they've used up all the obvious ideas and are actually getting creative.

Nikkoru_91

Vappy Trainer~
To be honest, I think 5th Gen is my favorite since the original. Lots of (in my opinion!) aesthetically pleasing designs, save for the two or three 'undesireable' ones that each generation always brings.

Though I'll concur with previous posters- Why do we need another thread for this? ^^; It's a highly subjective topic, since 'ugly' is a subjective term.

Well, there's been some good points brought up here that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. It's enriched my life! ^_^

Nikkoru_91

Vappy Trainer~
Well, there's been some good points brought up here that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. It's enriched my life! ^_^

Fair enough! :3

I'll offer in something for the actual discussion, then, for those who claim that the present gen's offering is not as good as the original:

Just what is it that MAKES the original generation so superior to you? Need I remind everyone of Jynx, which is almost universally considered a creepy design and is from that generation?

And Jynx isn't the only one. HAY LOOK AT THAT DUCK

Ekans.png

OH WAIT IT'S EKANS

I couldn't find the black-and-white sprite, which REALLY looked like a duck.

Valkyrie Cain

damn, dis-moi
Nope. All Pokemon deserve equal praise.

No. The first Pokemon you were introduced to, often, are the ones you hold most dear. So therefore, it's only logical that you think that they look the best. I know that I will never like a generation better than I like Hoenn, as those were my first games. I'm not saying I don't like other Pokemon, in fact, many of my favourites come from Gens 4 and 5. But overall, I really like Gen 3. And I'm glad you're not one of the people who started with Kanto and only likes Kanto. But sadly, a lot of people only like Kanto. It had a LOT to do with the gen you started on.

Well I first started playing Yellow....then Hoenn, then Johto, then Sinnoh and then Unova....
And I prefer Unova Pokemon. Excluding Pikachu, Dratini, Dragonite, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander.
And tbh....I think Unova Pokemon look better.

I always liked Johto the best, and I started with Silver. So there are examples for both sides.

*Looks at Muk, then looks at Garbodor.*
*Leaves without saying a word.*

BUT anyone who holds the opinion that ALL Gen V Pokes are worse than ALL gen I pokes is clearly wrong. There are good and bad designs in both groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.