• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are rare candies illegal in the anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakooki's ghost

We have never seen rare candy even mentioned or depicted in over 20 years. Is it omitted from the anime as an anti drug and cheating/doping PSA?

Have trainers been disqualified or thrown in jail for possessing or giving their pokemon rare candies?

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
It's RARE Candy.

Of course it's not going to appear often.

And the anime showed that, if made poorly, it causes Godzilla to break out waaay before Dynamaxing ws a gleam in Game Freak's eys.

Kawaii Emolga

The cutest EVER!!!!
I dunno why but I laughed when I read the title of this thread XP
I don't know if a Rare Candy already appeared in the anime, I don't remember seeing it.
But I guess it is illegal in big quantities, only one or two is not bad.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I reckon it's more that rare candies don't mesh well with the plot where they try to focus on the bond between trainer and pokémon, and personal growth. Rare candies are there in the games to ease the grind, but a lot of the training in the anime is already in the form of montage, special training, or just off-screen. Rare candies just don't add much, all they'd do is give the appearance of a cheap shortcut instead of honest training.

Ultra Beast Lover

They were in one episode where they made Pokemon really large. Rare candies and other vitamins aren't seen often, if at all, because it would only work in the context of the games, it's like how different pokeballs in the anime don't have different catch rates because it'd make no sense in the anime.

dman_dustin

Given what rare candies do is it a surprise they don't show up in the anime?

At best they'd be used to induce evolution.

And I don't think they want to depict them as an edible steroids or rather as an edible performance enhancing drug.

They were in one episode where they made Pokemon really large. Rare candies and other vitamins aren't seen often, if at all, because it would only work in the context of the games, it's like how different pokeballs in the anime don't have different catch rates because it'd make no sense in the anime.

You literally chose the worst analogy that actually contradicts the anime.

Mathematical capture rates don't exist but Pokemon are not easily caught so Poke ball choice does matter.

For example Go using a great ball or ultra ball would've likely saved Poke balls on Dewgong.

I think you are confusing laziness with Poke ball effects. It's sheer laziness why they only use Poke balls.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I think you are confusing laziness with Poke ball effects. It's sheer laziness why they only use Poke balls.
I always saw it as "Poké Balls are more realistically affordable/cost-effective on a journeyman trainer's budget", since most people who catch and train a lot aren't made of money.

But sure, go with the worst-case scenario.

dman_dustin

I always saw it as "Poké Balls are more realistically affordable/cost-effective on a journeyman trainer's budget", since most people who catch and train a lot aren't made of money.

But sure, go with the worst-case scenario.

It is much easier to animate regular Pokeballs than it is to remember Ash caught an Impidimp with a dusk ball for example and animate Ash sending it out of a dusk ball.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
We have never seen rare candy even mentioned or depicted in over 20 years. Is it omitted from the anime as an anti drug and cheating/doping PSA?

Have trainers been disqualified or thrown in jail for possessing or giving their pokemon rare candies?

Are people forgetting that we saw one in the Battle Frontier? It caused Caterpie to become huge which was a major part of the episode it appeared in...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Are people forgetting that we saw one in the Battle Frontier? It caused Caterpie to become huge which was a major part of the episode it appeared in...

I think it's an issue of the dub messing up the translation in that episode since they called the "Rare Candy" by its original Japanese name, which means that most dub viewers didn't realize what it really was.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
They probably just don’t see a need to use them like you’ll never see someone mention EVs/IVs because it undermines one of the show’s infamous themes of getting stronger through the power of friendship

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Cerize: Officer Jenny, those kids here are eating this candy thing and acting super weird. I bet it's something they aren't supposed to be using

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
We saw a Mystery Candy used in AG142, where it made the COTD's Caterpie bigger. I don't remember if it actually increased Caterpie's level, however.
It was extremely specially modified and experimental version of mystery candy which dub correctly use it in their own Dub episode

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Didnt that shuckle episode have them or something? Considering levels dont really exist in the anime anymore, dont see the point in them being reintroduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.