• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are some pokemon types still unbalanced?

Like Grass and Ice types defensively and Water types offensively.

I would suggest giving Ice a resistance to Ice and water or remove their fighting weakness to balance them.

Water could be given a weakness to poison

Grass is fine

Rakansen

ラルフ
I feel like Ice really needs to get buffed as well. Grass has a lot of weaknesses, but it provides good synergy with other types, as seen with Cradily and Ferrothorn.

Autis-misc

Abridger
I think fairy is the most unbalanced of all. Only because it's the most recent and a lot could still be done with it. As much as I despise it, it still needs a bit of work on it. Like, maybe a resistance to ghost, and visa versa. I mean, fairies can be considered evil and Ghosts/Fairies have a bit in common so they could be considered rivals. A duo resistance would be really interesting on the current meta as well.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
Rock could stand to lose a few weaknesses...
Ghost needs more types to resist it now that steel doesn't
Ice really needs to lose some weaknesses...or at least gain resistances, as it stands ice type is pretty much always a hinderence the pokemon with it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that offensively, Poison is unbalanced and unfortunately mediocre. Right now, Poison coverage is pretty much never seen in competitive play. It does hit Faeries, yes, but most people just use something like Aegislash as their designated Steel killer and not a Poison type. I agree with the OP that it should be super effective against Water, balancing out the two types a bit and giving Poison a legitimate reason to be run.

Dark is fine with Steel not resisting it, but Ghost really needs to revert back to its old state. It has coverage pretty much equal to that of Dragon (hits self super effectively, resisted by one type and negated by one type), and those actually have reason to be so powerful, given the basis of the type. Ghost doesn't quite have that basis distinction, and Steel losing its resistance has hindered a lot of Pokemon. Giving it back will stabilize the Ghost type offensively, in my opinion.

Also make Ice resistant against Water and do at least neutral damage to both Water and Steel. Come on, ice freezes water, and many metals have trouble with the contraction that comes from cold conditions.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I think the whole point of Ice is that it's supposed to be frail as hell but backed up with being one of the best offensive types in the games. Wulfric even literally mentions that Ice is strong but weak at the same time and goes to the point where he acknowledges that he might be tough or a pushover.

I only wished Fairy didn't resist Bug but eh it doesn't bother me much.

Suggestions

Ice resist Ice
Ice immune to water.Water is the substance on this planet that is frozen the easiest.Would turn many ice types into scald counters
Ice loses fighting weakness.Steel is hardly ever used so all they have to worry about is Fire and Rock

Rock resist Rock.Maybe remove its weakness to grass since weathering affects the ground more than rocks when it comes to trees expanding their trunks.

Steel resist Ghost and Dark again.Steel is suppose to the tank type so it was balanced before Gen VI.Hence the reason GF made its coverage Rock and Ice when Fighting can do the same exact thing with further coverage.It ruined many tanks like Metagross and Bronzong.

Psychic should resist Fairy
Psychic should supereffect Fairy

That way Fairies will have a good weakness against Psychic and Psybreak in the metagame.
Psy would have this coverage
Fighting
Poison
Fairy
No other type has this unique coverage so psychic types would receive better usage.

Fairy dragon immunity isnt a problem since people only use dragon moves for STAB.

Poison supereffects Water.This would shut down water types in the metagame big time and Azumarill would have a 4x weakness to this.Maybe make Bug weak to Poison moves as well.
Poison coverage:
Grass
Fairy
Water
Bug

There Poison is fine.

Dark has three weakness
Fairy
Fightning
Bug

It doesnt need more because being cursed with a weakness to the fighting type is a plague on its own.

AshBui

Banned
I feel that Ice type Pokemon should be resistant to Water, Ice, and Flying type moves not only for the sake of balancing Ice type Pokemon, but also since it would logically and physically make sense. Ice practically is solidified water, so it shouldn't be neutral to Water type moves like it is with something that actually would melt ice if it were in contact (Electric type moves for example). Ice is a solid just like Rock and Steel are, yet only Rock and Steel types resist Flying type moves and Ice doesn't.

I also notice that Hail is the only weather that doesn't benefit Ice type Pokemon very much unless they have an ability associated with it. Drought boosts Fire type moves by 50% and reduces the strength of Water type moves, Drizzle boosts Water type moves by 50%, reduces the strength of Fire type moves and increases the accuracy of Thunder and Hurricane, Sandstorm increases a Rock type Pokemon's Special Defense by 50% and adds residual damage, but what exactly does Hail do? All Hail currently does is add residual damage and increase the accuracy of Blizzard, which is hardly a boost in comparison to the other weathers available. Similar to the boost that Rock type Pokemon receive in Sandstorm, I feel that the Defense stat of Ice type Pokemon should increase by 50% whenever it hails. This change would help improve the Defenses of Ice type Pokemon significantly, especially when combined with an Assault Vest. I always felt that Ice types were given a huge disadvantage - hopefully Gamefreak improves them next generation.

EDIT: Corrected a few minor errors. :)

Last edited:

Rio!

Composer
I also notice that Hail is the only weather that does benefit Ice type Pokemon very much unless they have an ability associated with it. Drought boosts Fire type moves by 50% and reduces the strength of Water type moves, Drizzle boosts Water type moves by 50%, reduces the strength of Fire type moves and increases the accuracy of Thunder and Hurricane, Sandstorm increases a Rock type Pokemon's Special Defense and adds residual damage, but what exactly does Hail do? All Hail currently does is add residual damage and increase the accuracy of Blizzard, which is hardly a boost in comparison to the other weathers available. Similar to the boost that Rock type Pokemon receive in Sandstorm, I feel that the Defense stat of Ice type Pokemon should increase by 50% whenever it hails. This change would help improve the Defenses of Ice type Pokemon significantly, especially combined with an Assault Vest. I always felt that Ice types were given a huge disadvantage - hopefully Gamefreak improves them next generation.

^ I agree with this; all you can get from Hail besides hurting Pokemon that aren't Ice type is evasion and passive healing (if you last long enough, pfft) plush the 100% accuracy Blizzard boosts.
I really do hope it gets some sort of buff next gen, along-side Poison types. SURE, they are S/E against Fairies, but Steel types are still generally preferred since the majority of the are Psychically weak.

Last edited:

MissingGeo

Battle King
I feel that Ice type Pokemon should be resistant to Water, Ice, and Flying type moves not only for the sake of balancing Ice type Pokemon, but also since it would logically and physically make sense. Ice practically is solidified water, so it shouldn't be neutral to Water type moves like it is with something that actually would melt ice if it were in contact (Electric type moves for example). Ice is a solid just like Rock and Steel are, yet only Rock and Steel types resist Flying type moves and Ice doesn't.

Wind wears down Ice overtime, so it would make sense to keep it as a neutral resistance.

In my opinion, Ice should resist Ground instead of Flying. Only two types resist Ground (most of which have a secondary type that elimates the resistance) and one type is immune to it (which is counteracted by most Ground-types being able to learn Rock-type moves). Fighting has already been nerfed, so why not ground?

I also notice that Hail is the only weather that doesn't benefit Ice type Pokemon very much unless they have an ability associated with it. Drought boosts Fire type moves by 50% and reduces the strength of Water type moves, Drizzle boosts Water type moves by 50%, reduces the strength of Fire type moves and increases the accuracy of Thunder and Hurricane, Sandstorm increases a Rock type Pokemon's Special Defense by 50% and adds residual damage, but what exactly does Hail do? All Hail currently does is add residual damage and increase the accuracy of Blizzard, which is hardly a boost in comparison to the other weathers available. Similar to the boost that Rock type Pokemon receive in Sandstorm, I feel that the Defense stat of Ice type Pokemon should increase by 50% whenever it hails. This change would help improve the Defenses of Ice type Pokemon significantly, especially when combined with an Assault Vest. I always felt that Ice types were given a huge disadvantage - hopefully Gamefreak improves them next generation.

EDIT: Corrected a few minor errors. :)

This I can agree on. And maybe some hail-equivalent abilities of Sand Force and Sand Rush too.

AshBui

Banned
Now that I think about it, it kind of does make sense that Ice types have a neutral resistance to Flying type moves. If Ice types were to have a Ground resistance, it would definitely make the typing more viable in competitive play since Ground type moves are commonly used. But I'm not so sure if it this would physically make sense if similar mechanics were applied to the real world. I guess it would really depend on whether how much earth is placed on a sheet of ice, and vice versa. As much as I'd want to see an improvement to Hail implemented, it wouldn't help very much since weather now lasts only for a few turns. I find that the new addition of the move Freeze Dry greatly improves the viability for the few Ice type Pokemon that have the move. But I also think it would be an excellent addition for there to be another entry hazard added to the game, which functions similarly to Sticky Web except its Ice-based and lowers the speed of any opponent that isn't flying in the air. I'm not sure what to name the move though, but if I were to explain how the move would look in battle, it would basically force the opponent to battle on a slippery arena of ice. This has been seen in the anime numerous times, but I think something similar could happen in the games too!

Last edited:

randomspot555

I really don't think the types are unbalanced because a Pokemon is more than just its typing. Between dual typing, abilities, movepools, and held items, there's plenty of variation so that one can cover a weakness that a type brings to the table. That's why you battle with Pokemon teams and not just one single Pokemon.

I didn't particularly mind the type SE/NFE/immunity changes that were done in Gen 6 but I haven't committed all of them to memory yet.

phanpycross

God-king
Ice is fricking terrible, Having a single resistence, and weaknesses to the best priority (mach punch, bullet punch), the best STAB (close combat), and the most used coverage(fire blast,stone edge). I mean, when a 660 BST pokemon is too weak for OU, only because of ice typing, something HAS to be wrong. Now if the designs could stop being so sexy, that im forced to use them.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
It is unfortunate that Ice has so many weaknesses and so little defensive advantages, but in the end, you have to admit that that is just how ice works.

Fire is a no der, of course, but if you were to hit a block of ice with a REALLY strong punch delivered from a black belt (most fighting types), a boulder (rock types), or a hunk of metal (steel type), then the ice would just shatter. And out of the 18 types, setting aside the above mentioned and Ice itself, most of them would have no trouble whittling away at a block of ice. In fact, we should be lucky they don't make Water strong against ice, because as I have noted myself, water can melt ice if enough force is applied, and most water type moves have a lot of force applied to them.

I think the only types that would have trouble attacking a block of ice though would be Grass and Flying types.

Missingno.Fan

Ice needs to gain a resistance to something other than itself. I also wish that Electric had more weaknesses than just Ground.

Murder Doll

Button Presser
People keep saying Ice is such a great offensive type and yet all they really do on average is help counter the decreasingly popular dragon types....

Still stand by and say that Ice type really needs to become better defensively...

Murder Doll

Button Presser
I think Rock would be another good weakness for electricity, I mean to the best of my knowledge a rock cancels electric current just as as well as ground

It is unfortunate that Ice has so many weaknesses and so little defensive advantages, but in the end, you have to admit that that is just how ice works.

Fire is a no der, of course, but if you were to hit a block of ice with a REALLY strong punch delivered from a black belt (most fighting types), a boulder (rock types), or a hunk of metal (steel type), then the ice would just shatter. And out of the 18 types, setting aside the above mentioned and Ice itself, most of them would have no trouble whittling away at a block of ice. In fact, we should be lucky they don't make Water strong against ice, because as I have noted myself, water can melt ice if enough force is applied, and most water type moves have a lot of force applied to them.

I think the only types that would have trouble attacking a block of ice though would be Grass and Flying types.

Actually depending on how cold the ice is a fire isnt doing anything but being extinguish from the water it creates from melting the ice.Also ice is inflammable so dont even try to put a flame on ice either.Some ice types can make temperatures cold enough to liquify AIR.Really fire shouldnt much of a problem for them if their bodies are incredibly cold.
Even more Irony Regice is so cold that magma cant even melt it period.MAGMA.

Ice can destroy rocks through weathering
Cold temperatures make metals frail and shatter so Steel should be weak to Ice
Fighting is passable in this case.

Here is the thing Ice supereffects ground but doesnt supereffect rock.Why is that since they are essentially the same thing.