1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Are stronger Pokemon cooler?

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by MugoUrth, May 16, 2013.

1. MugoUrth

MugoUrth Bibarel's adorable.

By now, you probably already know what my opinion on this: Usually it's the absolute ugliest Pokemon that are powerful, or at least the ones I think are the absolute ugliest like Infernape or Scizor or Garchomp, etc. With only a few Pokemon I actually like in higher tiers like Venusaur (Although he requires Ninetails) Gengar, Dragonite, and of coarse Excadrill.

...However, the point of this topic isn't that. I remember someone telling me that if you use Pokemon that are strong, you just might like them more. Frankly, I doubt I'd like Infernape or Scizor or Garchomp or other Pokemon even if I used them and could kick butt with them. But what I'm generally wondering is what your opinions are. Are there Pokemon you strongly hated at first but liked after using them?

2. UbersSuck20

UbersSuck20 #FreeGenesect

3. SoulMuse

SoulMuse Shadow of nothing

Eh, not really. I most things I trully hate, with perhaps the exception of Politoed are in the lower tiers and such, where I haven't gotten around to playing yet, so I haven't gotten much experience with them. As for the few things I don't like in higher tiers, use hasn't changed my opinion. Some, like Jellicent, I realize can be used wil in certain roles, or politoed, which I still think is an ugly frog. Others like Jirachi I have come to actively dislike, because they work well for everyone except me....or so it seems.

In game wise, I don't use what I dont' like, so I really don't know.

4. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

Thank you for that totally unbiased opinion.

The way I see it, Pichu can sort of play a ukelele and Pikachu can use a Surfboard. Both of them are awesome! Raichu is also awesome! Politoed is awesome!

Every Pokemon is awesome!

As for which ones are cooler, I say Rayquaza and Metagross top the cool chart. They just incidentally happen to be strong.

5. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

Coolness doesn't depends on strength. Strong Pokemons may become cool for you like weak Pokemons.

Competitively I don't care about how cool or crap the Pokemon is, winning is what matters.

6. Terry. T.

Terry. T. One and Only...

Grovyle I find is cool. You can blame watching the PMD special episodes for that.
    Is it good in battle? Nope.

7. zozo

zozo SLIMED!

Are stronger Pokemon cooler?
    I will admit that after using Dragonite, the fact that it has some really nice movesets and it can pull them off well did make up for the fact that I find them hideously ugly. I do like them quite a bit more now than I used to, but I still won't go out of my way to train one up in-game. I don't even know if I want to train up a new one competitively. Which is something I have actually done. If I like a Pokemon and it has more than one potential use, I will often breed and train up new ones.

However, I think that works both ways too. I've had experiences with using Pokemon that aren't particularly strong but are still really fun to use. Torkoal and Ambipom are both examples of this. It's pretty difficult to make Torkoal viable in competitive play with a minimum of support, and Ambipom have their uses but are often outclassed by faster, stronger, and/or bulkier Pokemon. However, as I used them more in battles I saw how much fun they are to work with, in spite of their shortcomings (and in Ambipom's case, ugliness). So, I think people's playstyle has just as much to do with whether or not they'll like a Pokemon as the Pokemon's stats. If you love fast physical sweepers, you'll probably love Infernape but dislike Cresselia. If you're all about walling and stalling, you'll likely find Ferrothorn and Blissey much more interesting than Gengar or Hitmontop.

8. octoboy

octoboy I Crush Everything

I'm all about the novelty. I don't find much pleasure in purely dominating opponents as much as I do overcoming them in the most bizarre way possible. So I tend to have a feeling I'm not inclined to liking a pokémon more after using it and finding it makes winning easy.

With personal experience, I tend not to give strong (or at least strong-looking) pokémon much of a chance, so I wouldn't have a lot of history to judge on whether I would like them more if I used them. Charizard is kind of an iffy case in that regard. My memories seem across the board between finding charizard overly popular to being partial towards it due to having a charizard as my first ever starter. My charizard was pretty effective in battle in Red, but it was just about the only member of my team that was, so I remember getting kind of tired my charizard being a one-man-band near the end of the game. So there might even have been a negative aspect to the experience of it being easy to use.

I tend not to hate certain pokémon a whole lot, and the pokémon I'm not to fond of, I tend not to use. I don't have concrete evidence of this, but I have a feeling it wouldn't improve my liking of it. The few pokémon I remember liking more after using them were ones weren't so much "strong" as more annoying to fight against, but less irritating when working for me, not against me, like volbeat and roselia (though I'm pretty sure what made me dislike roselia slightly less after having one on my Mysterious Dungeon team was the game's portrayal of them as calm and peaceful instead of the poisonous little demons they were in Sapphire). That kind of makes sense, seeing as I prefer battle mischief to overpowering opposition.

9. Zazie

Zazie So 1991

No, ice pokemon are cooler.

The coolest pokemon are the ones who have an interesting concept anyway. Just slapping big numbers on something isn't enough to be impressive.

10. Dragalge

Dragalge Larry, Buznut, Countey, Astar, Feh, & Eggbert

Stronger =/= cooler

Besides I like Pokémon that are sorta weak and outclassed like Emboar, Samurott and Octillery. Lampent and Regigigas get a mention too for my least but I like all the 660 Pokémon in the universe in some way.

11. Penguinist Trainer

Penguinist Trainer Well-Known Member

I've never built any teams based on their actual strength. Most of my teams revolve around a specific theme. I don't think I've ever actually cared how strong or fast a pokemon is in particular. I will admit I have based some teams based on appearance, but I don't believe using a pokemon I'm not fond of would actually make me enjoy it more.

12. Chewiana Jones

Chewiana Jones Dunsparciologist

Eh, the ones I like are in a variety of tiers. Golurk and Torterra are pretty far down, while Reuniclus and Jirachi are pretty far up, and Flygon is somewhere in between. On the other hand, almost every Pokemon that isn't fully evolved is in a pathetically low tier, ruling out a large portion of potentially cool Pokemon from the start. Furthermore, there are more Pokemon in the lower tiers, meaning that it's statistically more likely that a given "cool" Pokemon will be in, say, NU or something.

13. yuoke

yuoke Treasure huntin'

If coolness just depends on purely its looks, then it depends. Haxorus looks very cool and is very strong, but blaziken does not look cool at all to me, but is also very strong.

14. moneylesswario

moneylesswario Shudo's Powerhouses

Not for me, I don't really care about stats and stuff, only how good they look.

15. the ash man83

the ash man83 Avid TCG Fan

It all depends on your idea of a cool Pokémon. I might find a Pokémon cool based upon it's looks, you might find a Pokémon cool based on its strength, Person X might find a Pokémon cool because of its movepool, you get the idea.

16. idawnhikari

idawnhikari No Need to Worry!

I say what makes any pokemon cool is if they are used in battle to their up most potential. Almost every pokemon are cool, especially
    Magikarp....now that is the coolest pokemon in the game xD

17. cheshireusagi

cheshireusagi Tory is my fav ♥

Hey, its all a matter of taste and opinion in the long run.

I think Blaziken is the most awesome Manbird pokemon ever, and he's pretty beast. Almost everyone else I know hates his design, rofl.

I do tend to be more drawn towards pokemon I like the design of rather than how strong they are in general. My team is generally made up of mons that are not considered "ideal" for competitive battling, but meh, I use them anyway, and just try my best to bring out their maximum potential. :3 It gets really boring seeing every competitive battler with a garchomp in their party. People who just stick to top tier battlers are really limiting themselves and kinda just taking an "easy way out" building a team. That's my opinion, at least.

I use pokemon I love from the beginning, I don't need them to "grow on me" because they are strong. My taste varies, too. My team is really a band of misfits, haha.