• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Team Rocket done to death?

trixie08

Speak No Evil
Them always stealing Pikachu and then failing was getting old a long time ago.

They should at least shift their focus from Pikachu to another rare Pokemon so it would not always be so predictable.

PDL

disenchanted
Team Rocket's awesome where they are. Sometimes they're the only amusing characters in the whole cartoon, and the only ones who have been consistantly funny througout the show's entire run.

Plus they have been doing something different aside from "try to capture Pikachu/Pokémon of the day".

Jessie and her competeing in contest arcs.

JackLe945

Lol tell me it wouldn't be funny if they stole Pikachu and Giovanni didn't want it, man they would be totally and utterly crushed. On topic I think that Team Rocket does need something to revive them. It does get boring hearing the same basic plot from them. You can only use a vaccum to suck pokemon up for so long.

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
^Haha! I could see it now. . .
Jessie: Haha! We've got your Pikachu!
Ash: noooooo!
Meowth: that's right!
*fly away.
Ash: Pikachu. . .
James: Giovanni! We got you a Pikachu!
Giovanni: what is this cRap?
*collective faint

I think Team Rocket is still funny, but the writers are getting lazy with their part of the storyline.

HoennMaster

Like I said, I still love them. They always get cool pokémon and like other posters say, sometimes they are the only thing that can hold an episode together. Such as The Problem With Paras.

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
^Haha! I could see it now. . .
Jessie: Haha! We've got your Pikachu!
Ash: noooooo!
Meowth: that's right!
*fly away.
Ash: Pikachu. . .
James: Giovanni! We got you a Pikachu!
Giovanni: what is this cRap?
*collective faint

I think Team Rocket is still funny, but the writers are getting lazy with their part of the storyline.

You said it, Giovanni only wants the ultra rare ledgendaries like Lugia and Groudon, not crappy common Pokemon like Pikachu (yes, I called Pikachu crap). I predict that someday, Pikachu WILL evolve.....

The writers are already lazy and just want to recycle and repeat old crap in a neverending proccess, I picture that even in the 43rd Generation, Ash, being an old man or a zombie, still dreams of being a Pokemon master. Gosh, by this time, Ash should ALREADY be a Pokemon master, but NOOOOOO, they have to push back Ash's dreams 4 generations ahead, and when he reaches that point, they push it back again, and again, and, well, you get the idea! :D

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Lol tell me it wouldn't be funny if they stole Pikachu and Giovanni didn't want it, man they would be totally and utterly crushed.

Giovanni's never even stated that he wants Pikachu - it's not like there's anything special about it. It's just a personal vendetta that Jessie and James have against Pikachu that spawns their efforts to steal it. If anything, I imagine that'd get them into even hotter water with Giovanni if he ever found out what they were doing with all the funds he undoubtedly sends them every week.

~Goth~

~Dark Trainer~
I'm sick of their attempts to steal Pikachu

I want Jessie to follow a serious coordinator path & James to...dunno...help her?

they can still keep their funny side but I really want Jessie to win more contests

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
I'm sick of their attempts to steal Pikachu

I want Jessie to follow a serious coordinator path & James to...dunno...help her?

they can still keep their funny side but I really want Jessie to win more contests

I think if they ever tried to stop being evil, it'd take away some of their humor. Most of their personalities derive from the fact that they aspire to great acts of devilishness, but neither one of them possesses the skills to do it, and yet they keep trying anyway. If Jessie just became a full-time coordinator, she'd become boring in a real hurry. If she became a full-time crooked coordinator who tried to win her contests through any illegal means necessary and dragged a reluctant James and Meowth along with her each time, then it'd be much more humorous.

Suzume

A Tree Sparrow
I really like Team Rocket's characters, and they have the most interesting pasts in the whole series. I also love all the episodes which focus more on Team Rocket. However, it's true that they've got to try something new. It's really annoying that in every episode they just have to appear, say their motto, try to steal some Pokemon, and blast off again, even if it took just two minutes.

I've also wondered the fact that they always think Giovanni will reward them if they bring him Pikachu/bunch of other pretty weak and not-so-rare Pokemon. Why would Giovanni want those?

But still, I don't hope Team Rocket to disappear wrom the show. They just don't have to be in every episode with their Pikachu-catching and exploding machines. They could just... Uh, I don't know what they could do but still something more interesting. ^^"

Kazuki Mirai

I'm fine with them but what I don't like is how the writers feel the need to shove them in every episode as possible that tend to sound uncharacteristic on Team Rocket's part. Like in an episode, they are after a powerful/new Pokemon. Then suddenly in another episode, they're after a weak Pokemon like Gligar and even a Psyduck? Okay, I don't buy it.

jigglypoof

oldskool pokeshipper
I haven't watched a brand new episode of this show in years, so I don't know what Team Rocket has "become" now. Back when I was still watching, though, they were awesome, and are pretty high on my favorite anime characters list based on that. And if they've been in the show this long, I don't think they'll be going away, unless they decided to do a total show revamp (new lead and everything, like Digimon or something).

I do think they need to succeed, at least permanently, at least once - they're long overdue. Maybe if they skipped out on following Ash for awhile they might accomplish that.

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
They are DEFINITELY here to stay, jigglypoof. They pretty much have the same status as Professor Oak, or Delia. Neither are going anywhere. Even still, the writers could put a LITTLE more effort into the 'Team Rocket sidestory' of each episode. It's evident that they put VERY little thought into it. Half the time they're complaining about not having any food, and the next episode they'll have something outrageously expensive (notice the private jet they bought for the single use of ONE dumb plan).

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
They are DEFINITELY here to stay, jigglypoof. They pretty much have the same status as Professor Oak, or Delia. Neither are going anywhere. Even still, the writers could put a LITTLE more effort into the 'Team Rocket sidestory' of each episode. It's evident that they put VERY little thought into it. Half the time they're complaining about not having any food, and the next episode they'll have something outrageously expensive (notice the private jet they bought for the single use of ONE dumb plan).

Profesco

gone gently
Giovanni's never even stated that he wants Pikachu - it's not like there's anything special about it.

Didn't they tell him about it's extreme power abundance in their entry episode, and he told them to show him? Or something like that?

In any case, the only times I don't enjoy Team Rocket antics are when the entire episode is based on it. Even then, it's sometimes interesting and funny. I don't mind having TR show up in the middle of an episode, try to steal something, blast off, and then having the plot get back on track. But when the entire plot revolves around Ash and co protecting one Pokemon from TR, then it seems a slight waste to me.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
I wish they would just stop! Right about now they coulda caught some rare Sinnoh pokemon instead of chasing a yellow rat.

Team Rocket's utter failure in their attempts to be evil makes them somewhat interesting. The fact that they tend to skate the morality line quite a bit gives them a fair amount of depth. Even if their Wile E Coyote antics are fairly repetitive, the writers are getting better at handling them.

Nonetheless, I really want them to put more emphasis on the actually evil side of the Rockets. Giovanni is long overdue for another great evil scheme.

Grei

not the color
Lol tell me it wouldn't be funny if they stole Pikachu and Giovanni didn't want it, man they would be totally and utterly crushed.

I could totally see this as being a turning point for the Rockets. They wouldn't necessarily have to leave if they found out that Giovanni didn't want Pikachu.

I can't remember much from the early episodes, but were Jessie and James successful with their plans in Kanto? Or have they always been this incompetent?

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
I can't remember much from the early episodes, but were Jessie and James successful with their plans in Kanto? Or have they always been this incompetent?

They were always failures from day one, but they were much more self-confident in the early episodes. They were also more one-dimensional, basically portrayed as generic evil villains whose plans always backfired. Gradually, their personalities came out as we learned more about them - James received a backstory first in "Holy Matrimony", where we found out that his wealthy parents tried to force him into an arranged marriage with a woman who had no problem beating the crap out of him (which explains why he's so introverted and emasculated). Jessie received her history in "Snow Way Out", where we discovered that her childhood consisted of extreme poverty, a lot of foster homes, and no real mother to speak of (which explains why she's so self-reliant and sort of angry at the world). And Meowth's story was revealed in "Go West, Young Meowth", where he struggled up from the alleys and tried in vain to impress Meowzy by learning all he could about the world of humans, including their language (which explains why he's a little self-inflated).

I find it interesting that these three have more dimension and staying power than the show's protagonists - I think that Team Rocket could carry entire episodes on their own. In fact, we've seen them do it in a couple of HoSo specials and regular episodes like "A Poached Ego" where they don't come into contact with Ash and the others. It proves that their personalities are so strong, they don't need to rely on the show's standard writing formula in order to work.

jigglypoof

oldskool pokeshipper
I find it interesting that these three have more dimension and staying power than the show's protagonists - I think that Team Rocket could carry entire episodes on their own.

If I recall, they even got a drama CD that talks about Jessie's mother's disappearance. That's definitely more info than we've ever gotten for the "main" group. For example, all we know about Misty is that she was always living in the shadow (and teasing) of her older, prettier sisters. And I don't think we know anything at all about Ash besides the fact that he's from a single parent household (as nothing is known about his dad). Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm behind on the TV series.

If they ever got some kind of spinoff (and I doubt they will), they'd most assuredly have stuff to work with.