1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Are Team Rocket done to death?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Grei, Oct 14, 2008.

1. thunderblade12

thunderblade12 Well-Known Member

TR has been "done to death" since the middle of Johto, now they're just poking at the corpse with a stick.

2. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

Team Rocket had a lot of potential in the beginning, but it seems the writers seemed to have forgotten about their place as the series' first antagonists, and instead diminished them to the point of becoming the Pokemon world's version of the 3 Stooges, with an episode dedicated to their character development occuring once a blue moon.

IF the writers were somehow able to revitalize Team Rocket back to what they were in the Kanto glory days, I would change my stance on them......alas, that may never be the case. They could at least may them more threatening somehow, maybe ACTUALLY stealing a pokemon, but losing it in the next episode, instead of the overly-used plot of "steal, battle, lose, blast off, rinse and repeat" that occurs nearly every single episode. At this rate, Team Rocket might never come out the hole the writers have dug for them, so something should be done to make them a little more interesting.

3. Shiny qwilfish of doom

Shiny qwilfish of doom Back in White

that would be to make them suceed at least once. That would be the start of a whole new movie plotline about pikachu being stolen by team rocket and ash must get it back.or make their pokemon stronger.

4. ZF911

ZF911 Well-Known Member

I say they go back to the old motto. And they should have a special storyline.

Team Rocket finally get away with Pikachu, but Jessie is the only happy one. Meowth and James remark on how the "twerps" will catch up to them eventually and get Pikachu back. But they call the boss anyways. They then make their way towards the HQ. Ash and Co. then travel along Sinnoh for 10 episodes or more(like 25 or so) without Pikachu. James and Meowth start celebrating after a while without defeat. Brock explains how Team Rocket might be heading for the Viridian Gym, so they get a plane to take them there. They meet up with Team Rocket after they get promoted, and Ash, Dawn, Brock, and Misty(who met Ash in Viridian City) face off against Jessie, James, and Giovanni(who will be at their strongest yet).

When Ash's team wins, Team Rocket blasts off into Sinnoh(with their promotion), and Ash gets Pikachu back. They stay in Viridian City for a while with Misty, then head back for Sinnoh.

Sorry about the long post, I've had this idea for a while.

5. defno

defno Well-Known Member

Those are some great ideas, is there anyway we can contact the writers about this?

6. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

Quilfish: I could see that as another arc for D/P. It would be an enhancement of the first 3 episodes of the D/P series, and could be used as an effort to give a more detailed background of the three, complete with flashbacks of their meetings with the twerps, and as the writer's way of saying that Team Rocket would be put back in as the main antagonists. If the 5th generation brings back Team Rocket, then this idea would be even more plausible.

7. masqeurain3

masqeurain3 New Member

Pokemon has been going for 11 years, so technically Ash should be almost 30 years old, and Brock should be like 40 years old. The worst part is they always team up and go on adventures with 15 year old girls.

Something wrong about that?

8. Barrysun

Barrysun Well-Known Member

I think team rocket has been done to the death, with all of their plans backfiring on them. always trying to steal other people's pokemon but always get their butts kicked.
    if there was a replacement, I would love to see Miror B at least once in the anime. (and maybe with his two underlings and battle theme like in the Orre series)

9. mew801

mew801 Well-Known Member

i really think its time for a change, but they never will change it because there are some people who love team rocket and don't want them ta go. personally i would like to see a new team....just not team rocket, they have been done to death definitely.

10. milenadrg

milenadrg Well-Known Member

You're right. They are still weeeeeeeeery boooring. I would like to they gone and their replacement would be some much stronger and more serious enemies.

11. Shiny pokemon lower

Shiny pokemon lower Well-Known Member

Like someone said in the first post, Team Rocket should have have some sucsess.

But about the black Grunt uniforms. They are at the same rank as the uniforms they have now. It is said somewhere! I hope they get the uniforms Butch and Cassidy have.

About a sucessfull theft. That had to atlast be from someone which is meaner than Jessie and James and mean against his pokemon. An ordinary kind person doesn't deserve to lose his pokemon.

But... I doubt that they ever will change Team Rocket.

12. Chiller

Chiller Active Member

i like the idea of giving them a new uniform. and i agree that something needs to be changed. they changed the motto and thats got pretty boring already. but i fear if they do change something it will be something stupid. like making meowth evolve. (just an example)

13. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

More Rockets should appear and Jessie,James and Meowth should become competent.It seems awesome to me.Their problem is that they keep focusing on Ash.If I were in control of the series,Jessie James and Meowth would be regular but sometimes there'd be other Rocket Members.When they aren't around they'd go steal Pokemon sucsessfully

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  14. AstralEon

AstralEon The one and only.

Something just came up to me while reading this. Sure TR been done to death but not literally. But what about Casidy and Butch? (Hope i spelled Casidy right) They are TR too no? I was thinknig that they should add them more often now these days.

Not saying that they should be replaced by them. Just a thought that came into mind.

15. Josiah

Josiah is your favorite

Team Rocket needs to either
    a)be used less often (as in an every other episode basis)
    or
    b)be involved in a plot that doesn't revolve around them stealing a Pokemon with a giant robot or interrupting the story .

Seriously, they are just the writers go to for every episode, whether it's to evolve a main character's Pokemon or take up five minutes that the writers couldn't fill in.

16. RageKaiser

RageKaiser Chespin :D

Well, Considering they ARE as much of a main character as Ash, Dawn or Brock, I think that would be a stupid idea.

They are pokemon theives...So...it's justified.

17. neptune_84

neptune_84 It's go time!

i had simular concerns for a while but looking at the sinnoh saga team rocket have actually started to suceed, they stole the thunder stone, they stole the yanma and jessie has also won a contest. considering they have been on screen for over 11 years now this is the first season were they have actually started to do it all.

18. Jesse GS the II

Jesse GS the II I was frozen today!

I don't know about the second part. Jessie and James strike me as the type whose failures are self-inflicted - they don't think things through clearly enough, and their personalities clash with each other to the point where they can't get anything done right. Something tells me that even if they didn't follow Ash around, they'd still get defeated every time.

But I do like the idea of introducing other Rocket agents. We don't know very much about Team Rocket as an organization - aside from the grunts in "Battle Aboard the St. Anne", we haven't seen any other Rockets aside from Butch and Cassidy and the occasional one-shot villain in a movie or TV special (Atilla and Hun, the Iron Masked Marauder, etc). I'd like to see a plot where Jessie and James are forced to team up with a Rocket agent we've never met before whose area of expertise fits the mission at hand.

19. Alright, something else for me to complain about. Woo. : D

Personally...I can't stand TR anymore, but I can't really imagine the anime without them. Their "gags" are EXTREMELY bland, their "mechs" are insulting, why are they still using nets (and why is the group so dumb that they can't just pull the net off themselves? o__O My dad and I were contemplating this the other day), they're STILL after a rat that's as common as dirt in some places, that freakin Wobbuffet REALLY needs to be shoved into an active volcano...I could go on.

However...without their wacky antics, the anime wouldn't be the same...it would be a straight 22 minutes of "LOL HAPPY YAY NO EVIL IN THE WORLD" and the penguin.

I love seeing more competant villians (J for example : D), but it just wouldn't be Pokemon without TR. :/

20. Dragodynamite

Dragodynamite ÆØÅ

If they just got more stuffs to do then make lame jokes and fly away. that would be awesome. And I like those episodes when They have "gone nice" and such. Team rocket only episodes are usually win xP