• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are Team Rocket done to death?

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
What the writers did to Team Rocket is probably the reason so many people think that the show is horrible.

The way I see it, the people who hate Musashi and Kojirou for being bumbling fools are the same people who want the anime to be full of dark seriousness and emotional angst and violent bloody battles and serious romantic relationships. In other words, people who want the show to be everything it's not supposed to be.

deceiver11 said:
sh's pikachu is really dead, its got to be lvl 1000 by now.

I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that and move on.

I think they are starting to get a bit boring, yes. But with James giving Cacnea and Jessie giving Dustox, they are making a bit of character development, which is good.

I think when they become a bit more creative, I'd like Team Rocket a bit more.

The way I see it, the people who hate Musashi and Kojirou for being bumbling fools are the same people who want the anime to be full of dark seriousness and emotional angst and violent bloody battles and serious romantic relationships. In other words, people who want the show to be everything it's not supposed to be.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see that either, (I mean, it is a kid's show), but I would feel more comfortable watching Pokemon on a regualr basis if they didn't do the exact same thing all the time. I can almost predict exactly what will happen before the episode is even half over.

Profesco

gone gently
I can almost predict exactly what will happen before the episode is even half over.

That's what almost twelve seasons of experience will do to you. =/

iup788

pro cloyster
Yeah, they are annoying. They were actually cool in the beginning of the series. They had smart ideas (occasionally) and didn't only build giant robots. If they don't have the money top buy food, how do they pay for robots?! Plus, they used to be strongish trainers. They suck now. James has some rare guys but he sucks at battling.

Another interesting thing with them would be if, like a 3-part episode, they succesfully stole pikachu and Ash eventually got it back after 3 episodes of not being exactly the same.

Every pokemon episode to date:

"Hi kids I'm Ash Ketchum! Oh crap! Team Rockets taking my pikachu! PSYCHE! JUST KIDDING THEYll NEVER SUCCEED ! Pikachu thunderbolt! oooo nooooo we're blasting off again!!!!

Giovanni's never even stated that he wants Pikachu - it's not like there's anything special about it. It's just a personal vendetta that Jessie and James have against Pikachu that spawns their efforts to steal it. If anything, I imagine that'd get them into even hotter water with Giovanni if he ever found out what they were doing with all the funds he undoubtedly sends them every week.

Wrong, they originally weren't going out of their way to steal pikachu, but after seeing it KO onix in one hit with thunderbolt, they thought it was a really powerful one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Wrong, they originally weren't going out of their way to steal pikachu, but after seeing it KO onix in one hit with thunderbolt, they thought it was a really powerful one.

...Except it didn't knock out Iwaku in one hit. Iwaku was incapacitated because the sprinkler system turned on.

Musashi and Kojirou began focusing on Pikachu after it blew up the Tokiwa City Pokémon Center - that was the impressive display that made them decide it was worth having. (Never mind the fact that Pikachu was receiving extra power from the generator, and the explosion was mostly assisted by Dogasu's poison gas.) What I was getting at was the fact that Sakaki has never specifically stated that he wants Pikachu, and given what the rest of his team looks like (Kairiki, Golonya, Saidon, etc.) and how he's reacted to Musashi and Kojirou's few successful attempts at thievery in the past (he rejected Kasumi's Togepi and the Yanyanma that Musashi caught), he probably wouldn't want it anyway even if they did manage to steal it.

Now, I know the song "Team Rocket's Rockin'" opens with Giovanni saying "I want Pikachu, and this time, don't screw it up!". But as usual, that's a 4Kids Entertainment-exclusive production and therefore can't be accepted as canon.

Short Wing

Home of the Braviary
You got to give them credit about being tenacious. They don't give up on trying to capture that pikachu, and they're pretty durable to survive blasting off, being shocked, burned, frozen, ect. And at least they're good at disguises, or maybe Ash and Co. are just oblivious, and those pit fall traps always seem to pull off with out a hitch, most of the time. I don't think they'll be going anywhere anytime soon, they'll probably chase after the twips until they think they can capture pika.

Sonic15

May Fanboy
First off, they should bring the old motto back... But only say it when they make a really suprising entrence. Like half way through the episode, they just pop in out of nowhere, do their evil plan, blast off, and STAY gone!

A break from a few episodes would do them good as well. Jessie needs to quit contests, and wobbefet needs to be released. James is okay the way he is, and meowth is...... well, Meowth.

Miss_Pocket_Monster

My thing is that TR aren't even really *villains* anymore. I like them as characters, because they bring much needed humour to the show, but seeing the way they treat their Pokemon it's quite apparent that they're not really the antagonists that the show would have us believe. Both of them treat their own Pokes better than Paul treats his!

Maybe it would be cool if they brought in some conflict about whether the three want to "go legit"; does that sound like a bad idea? ;024;;110;

randomspot555

"Hi kids I'm Ash Ketchum! Oh crap! Team Rockets taking my pikachu! PSYCHE! JUST KIDDING THEYll NEVER SUCCEED ! Pikachu thunderbolt! oooo nooooo we're blasting off again!!!!

If you're expecting something significantly different, then you are watching the wrong show. In a kids' show, the bad guys can NEVER win. The only time that is acceptable is when they team up with the good guys to fight an even bigger threat, or when they're up against people even worse than they are.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
...or when Team Rocket play by the rules, they're given a win. Examples are James in the Orienteering Contest, Harley when he fought without any tricks, and Jessie in the Sinnoh Contests where if you notice she doesn't rely on tricks like in Hoenn (the Meowth Sunflora/Kirlia/Wailord incident).

randomspot555

...or when Team Rocket play by the rules, they're given a win. Examples are James in the Orienteering Contest, Harley when he fought without any tricks, and Jessie in the Sinnoh Contests where if you notice she doesn't rely on tricks like in Hoenn (the Meowth Sunflora/Kirlia/Wailord incident).

And when they're playing by the rules, they're either teaming up with Ash and co, or basically being their replacements as far as plot goes. A good example of this is the celebration where the town was obsessed over Wobbuffet.

But the point I'm making is when they're being antagonist/bad guys, they can't win. They can only win when they're being good.

the master123

Ive Gotta bad feelin
If you ask me Jessie and James are the ones who make Pokemon show entertaining!

Jere

Ace good guy
Well as many allready have stated they are the comic relief of the series, so 3 possible things can happend, besides the status quo, but i don't think they should be completely moved away.

1. They give the others some humor, i can remeber Ash joking in the early series, but they have almost handed all that over to TR, since long way back

2. They make them appear in fewer episodes smearing out the humor on more characters, well many of the ones that make one shots, have some humor in them but it would be hard to make only funny one shoters so in those episodes TR could be in.

3. They scrap them!

But i have a weak point for TR, since i saw giant mecha wobuffet i just cant just se them go, its just excellent and if you remove TR no more Mechas, but nothing can beat giant mecha wobbuffet.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Team Rocket was great back in Kanto and Johto, but it became extremely repetitive towards the Hoenn and Sinnoh seasons.

But the point I'm making is when they're being antagonist/bad guys, they can't win. They can only win when they're being good.

It isn't a show for older people, so I suppose that that's to be expected. Still, I would love to see a change in the monotony. Also, does anyone remember those episodes that had Team Rocket revealing bits of their past? It would be great for the series to have a few more of these episodes to bring in some more character development.

I disagree, however, with getting rid of Team Rocket. Their a staple of the Pokemon series, and whether you like it or not, there are fans of Team Rocket out there. Personally, I feel that they need some serious changes, but Team Rocket should be kept in the show.

charizardtrainer16

lets play with fire
its getting a little old now, u no? why cant they just go after a pokemon besides pikachu i mean seriously this makes them be 0-999999 or at least let them be successful and steal 1 pokemon i mean the world is not full of niceness and happiness for everyone that pokemon portrays. or at least a costume change cmon now! i like their personalities though cuz there all so funny!!!!!!!