• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are the New Pokemon Overpowered?

The Sandslasher

BAZINGA!!!
Okay, for starters, sorry if there is another thread like this one. But my friend said that Pokemon X and Y is coming out with some VERY overpowered stuff. I didn't know if that was true and from what I have seen it isn't. I played Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while it it got screwed up because of overpowered cards and banned cards. So I was just wondering, Do believe that these new pokemon are growing stronger with each new release? If so, could you please state why? Thanks for your opinion.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
We don't know anything about Gen VI other than the Starters' primary stages and the two mascot Legendaries, all of which we know nothing about beyond their names.

Hilda

Your friend might of been thinking that by taking the 5th gen into account.
Maybe a lot of Pokémon might get 145 base stats that does not really make them the best choice.

Ditto B1tch

They may introduce a new pseudo-legendary, and a dozen of legendaries, so obviously there are some powerful dudies coming out!

stylesbk

@stylesbk
I'll stick with my Palkia since that's one beast of a Pokemon. I think they been getting a little stronger and stronger with every new game but that's why they call them legends cause there supposed to be super powerfull.

Its too early to be passing any judgement. We have not seen any base stats yet. The starters do look cool but i don't think Gamefreak can over power them too much as they are the first pokemon newbies receive. But Xernias and Yveltal both look like they will be exceptionally powerful, but will not break any molds as legendaries are over-powered.
But in gen 5 alot of pokemon were almost psuedo-legendary strong like volcarona and haxorus, which to be honest I have no problem with as we do need stronger options for in game teams. But if the fully evolved starters came out with 650 BST, we could complain.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
The newest Pokemon seem to me to be designed to be competetive, with moves, abilities, stats etc. Which I don't really mind that much.
But they do make the Pokemon I like based on design, the suckiest......

randomspot555

Power creep has been happening for a long time now.

Except "power creep" really hasn't affected the game all that much because it doesn't really exist and is too broad and vague to make a good analysis, either of the series in general or the metagame specifically.

There are several Gen I and II Pokemon that have been OU since Gen I, and many have gotten new life with later generations. Scizor was pretty low on the totem pole before it got Bullet Punch in Platinum, for example. And Gengar has found new life with the improved accuracy of Disable.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
It's nothing more than a misconception. For every Garchomp, four Burmy evolutions are introduced. People remember Garchomp far more than any of the Wormadams or Mothim, though.

Look at the stats for Smogon's simulator. Of the top 10, only Ferrothorn was introduced in Gen V; of the top 20, only Ferrothorn and Terrakion. For the most part, if you look at the top 50, the distribution between each generation is fairly even.

GreatGonzales

The Master
It's literally impossible to judge at this point. Beyond names and a few types, we have no information. I'm not sure how you got any impression of their abilities. It's safe to assume that Xerneas and Yvetal will have high base stats, but nothing known. It's also safe to assume that their may be 1 or 2 new pokemon who unbalance the metagame, like always.

Rakurai

I'd like to hope they'll continue improving the weaker Pokemon with more additions to their movesets and not continue to make the ones that are already good even better.

randomspot555

I'd like to hope they'll continue improving the weaker Pokemon with more additions to their movesets and not continue to make the ones that are already good even better.

Not all Pokemon are created equal. Luvdisc and Delibird are never going to be able to be a dominating force in battles. That doesn't mean they suck, but the solution isn't to plot-device them into power. It is to use their gifts and abilities rather than treat them as something they aren't.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Not all Pokemon are created equal. Luvdisc and Delibird are never going to be able to be a dominating force in battles. That doesn't mean they suck, but the solution isn't to plot-device them into power. It is to use their gifts and abilities rather than treat them as something they aren't.

Many Pokemon that were formerly suck have gotten fairly decent, though. Politoed and Ninetales are obvious, but what about Cloyster, Xatu, Ditto, Sableye, Volbeat, Sharpedo?

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
The only things we know about the Gen VI pokemon (which I'm assuming are the ones you are talking about) are their names and that the starters are Grass, Fire, and Water. That is to say we know nothing that tells us of how powerful they are.

Nightmareisalive

Well think about it like this if the Pokemon of the later generations where getting weaker people would complain about that and their would be less interest in buying the games if that was the case. Some of the newer Pokemon seem to be made for competitive battling which makes sense considering how important an aspect of Pokemon it has become. Remember though for every over powered Pokemon there is there is at least two weak Pokemon. Also battling styles has changed and in generation 6 the style could change where Pokemon from generation 1 or 2 could be better in competitive battling than those in generation 5 who are good at competitive battling at the mintue

randomspot555

Many Pokemon that were formerly suck have gotten fairly decent, though. Politoed and Ninetales are obvious, but what about Cloyster, Xatu, Ditto, Sableye, Volbeat, Sharpedo?

You seem to confuse with "not sucking" as being able to compete against the major threats. In no way did Ninetales or Politoed suck before they got their DW abilities.

Just like there are different tiers for many athletic activities, there are different tiers of Pokemon battling. Xatu and Sharpedo are very usable in those lower tiers.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Just like there are different tiers for many athletic activities, there are different tiers of Pokemon battling. Xatu and Sharpedo are very usable in those lower tiers.

ie they're weaker

which is what I believe Rakurai said originally, which you then interpreted as the extreme

*~Silver*~

I don't think so. Actually, I think they're getting weaker. I remember starting Emerald with my Mudkip and it was awesome. I got Platinum with my Turtwig, and SoulSilver with a Cyndaquil, and they were all awesome. Then I got to White and started with a Tepig, and it felt like a total downgrade from Mudkip, Turtwig, and Cyndaquil. It was a major downgrade, but I noticed a difference. In White 2 I started with Snivy and Snivy was fine, pretty average really, not quite as bad as Tepig was, but Serperior was a huge disappointment for me. I thought it would have much better stats than what it has. Both Tepig, and Snivy have great designs, and are likable Pokemon, but they weren't as strong as I would have liked.

We don't know enough about X and Y to decide for sure if the "weak" trend will continue. They might get stronger, they might just keep getting weaker. We just don't really know. *Shrug*