• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are the old generations holding the new ones back?

Are the old generations holding the new ones back?

• yes

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • no

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • maybe

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I wouldn't exactly say they hold the new generations back. It's annoying the attention gen 1 gets though. Charizard and Mewtwo getting two Mega forms, when Unova Pokemon don't even get one? But I guess they wanted to make sure the old relics of Gen 1 are still relative so they give them upgrades like Mega forms and now Aloha forms, which are all Kanto Pokemon. I don't think it holds the new Pokemon back as we still get some really good ones, I just find it highly annoying. I roll my eyes every time I see a Charizard.

SoulReX

Kanto and Jhoto have the best looking designs, most of them are simple, cool and charismatic.

So they will always be more popular than the current ones, hense gamefreak will always treat them above the rest.

SWMegaFan

Kanto and Jhoto have the best looking designs, most of them are simple, cool and charismatic.

So they will always be more popular than the current ones, hense gamefreak will always treat them above the rest.

I wouldn't say all of them. There are a couple from the 1st 2 Gens that aren't really that creative and original, or simply not that great-looking (and I'm speaking here objectively, without rose-tinted glasses i.e. not based on nostalgia). Yes, one can say the same thing for the other Gens but the "cool" factor applies to Pokemon from later generations as well. Every Gen has both it's cool-and/or-simple-designed and not-so-great-looking Pokemon; I don't think it would be fair (IMO) to discount Gens 3-6 that way (not saying that you're necessarily doing that specifically, I'm just speaking in general), nor would it be fair to those kids that got introduced to Pokemon later on post-Gen 2.

By the way, there was a poll done in Japan a while back where they had fans vote for their favorite Pokemon and quite a bit of them in the top 100 are not from Gens 1 and 2, with a Gen 6 Pokemon taking the top spot: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/06/0...20-pokmon-recent-japanese-popularity-contest/

This ranking was done for the 720 Pokemon (I guess Volcanion had not been revealed yet). That said, this was a poll done in Japan so I'm not sure this exact same poll would yield similar results if done on a worldwide scale (or even one based in another country like the US for example).

Last edited:

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
I love Gen 1 but feel like their playing on noglista with new aloan forms a bit to much.

Don't think it will hold back the franchise though

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't believe that "nostalgia pandering" exists and GameFreak just wants to get the old fans back.

SWMegaFan

I love Gen 1 but feel like their playing on noglista with new aloan forms a bit to much.

Don't think it will hold back the franchise though

Same here, I don't think that drawing upon nostalgia will overshadow everything else. My only worry is that it can further encourage those with genwunner/purist attitudes, making them feel that they can further perpetuate their opinions like if they were facts.

That said, I trust that Gamefreak knows what it's doing in making sure that this over-doing of nostalgia doesn't happen, much less overshadow everything else that can be considered "new" and "fresh".

John Trainer

John Trainer
I think the previous games set the framework for the newest games. Without them we wouldn't have Pokemon. They want to tap into the nostalgia and get the older players playing again and get newer players to play the older games. So with all the new forms of gen 1 Pokemon in gen 7 and fan favorites like Ninetales and Meowth getting cool new forms I think they are trying to create a balance and bridge the generational gap

I think the previous games set the framework for the newest games. Without them we wouldn't have Pokemon. They want to tap into the nostalgia and get the older players playing again and get newer players to play the older games. So with all the new forms of gen 1 Pokemon in gen 7 and fan favorites like Ninetales and Meowth getting cool new forms I think they are trying to create a balance and bridge the generational gap

Also,if you look well stuff like Mega evolutions and alolan forms seem to have been invented with the intention to make stuff like starter pokemon useful again.

Tonguetyd

Do you even remember Gen 2?

It was packed full of crappy and useless guys like Furret, Granbull, Lanturn, Qwilfish, Delibird, Stantler, Sudowoodo, Bellossom, Aipom, Ariados, Ledian, Unown, Jumpluff, Sunflora, Yanma, Scizor, Dunsparce, Girafarig, Magvargo and Corsola, and also introduced the ever-cancerous baby Pokemon. If it was a GSC Pokemon, it would most likely be a horrible battler.