• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are The Unown Legendary?

Are The Unown Legendary?

• Total voters

RagTag

Shroomin'
Do you think the Unown should be considered legendary? Personally, I've always thought they were legendary and only found out that most people don't consider them legendary earlier today. So what do you think?

Jerre

Gogoat!
No. Unowns are not legendary Or else they will be sorted on the Pokédex before or after the Legendary dogs, Ho-oh and Lugia. And they have only Hidden Power.

elite ralf

they may not be legendary, but they are always related to legendary elements both in the game and in the anime.

I think of the Unown legendary,btw.I think it's up to you if you'll consider them legendary or not. xD

Maruno

It depends which definition of "legendary" you mean. If you go by the games, then it needs to be almost unique and at least fairly powerful. They're not.

If you go by the anime, they need to be mysterious and be covered in stories and myths (which are all most likely true, since it's an anime). And they are, pretty much. But if every pokémon with a story about it was a legendary pokémon, they would all be ones.

I don't care for the anime, so I'll have to go with the games. Also, they're far from unique even in the anime. I say they're not legendary pokémon.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
They have legend surrounding them. They're legendary. I mean, if you get a shrine devoted to you, then I'd say it's a fair bet that you're legendary.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
No. They're weak little creatures from another dimension.

In "Pokémon the Movie: 3", they might be considered "legendary". But, since they just played "Ring around the Rosie" the whole movie, I really think they're not legendary Pokémon at all.

Last edited:
In the games no, too common and too weak to do anything and nothing said about them having weird powers... but the anime, thay did crazy stuff in the 3rd movie, didn't Prof. Oak said something about Unown being legendary? Atleast for their powers... I may call them that but not the same thing like DIAGLA or JIRACHI or other legendary... >x>"

In sort,
Games=no
Anime=maybe... need to see the movie again.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
If you mean "Ring Around the Rosy" as in "created an entire dream world from the conscious and subconscious wishes of a little girl which nearly ended in the death of several people",

Nearly ended in the death of several people? I don't want to debate with you on this, but this is Pokémon. No one dies.

Also, all Psychic type Pokémon are able to do this. Drowzee, Alakazam... -.- The Unown just made it all dramatic.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
They created an entire dream world from the conscious desires of a little girl. I don't think that constitutes "weak", and that definitely doesn't mean they were doing nothing in the movie. They're the reason that anything happened in that movie. Jeeeeeeeeez.
I say legendary.
EDIT: Ugh, I have no idea what I'm doing with these laggy double posts.

I know no one dies, but the tension of the crystals closing in implied that someone might die. Not that they ever would, but if you're thinking within the movie, it's tense.

And sure, other psychics can make illusions, but Unowns are the only ones with a legend behind them. It's all a matter of what the pokemon people in the past decided to base their legends off of.

Last edited:
Nearly ended in the death of several people? I don't want to debate with you on this, but this is Pokémon. No one dies.

Also, all Psychic type Pokémon are able to do this. Drowzee, Alakazam... -.- The Unown just made it all dramatic.

What kind of psychic Pokemon makes a Entei and made a house a crystal castle that almost not only trap Ash and friends but crush them with spikes (if I remember right)...?

Noheart

The Abysswalker
What kind of psychic Pokemon makes a Entei and made a house a crystal castle that almost not only trap Ash and friends but crush them with spikes (if I remember right)...?

It was a dream. Any Pokémon that learns "Dream Eater" or "Nightmare" are able to create ANYTHING within someone elses dream.

Entei was an illusion. The Crystals were an illusion.

EspeonFTW

Espeon
Hmm. I do not consider them to be legendaries, but they do have some kind of mystifying quality about them. It's -sorta- legendary, but I don't think they can be considered legendary pokemon. They are psychic pokemon who only know hidden power in the games, and in the 3rd movie, they manipulate things with psychic powers, as Piekid said. Any psychic pokemon could probably do it, but there were so many. The fact that they are shaped like letters kind of makes them seem a bit more emphasized, and they were because they were the ones who created the illusions in the 3rd movie. That's what I think. :p

I don't consider the Unknown as legendary Pokemon in the games or the anime. I remember watching the movie that dealed with the mysteries of Unknown, but I just saw them as mystical, not powerful or rare. Any Pokemon can be mystical to an extent, such as Clefairy or Espeon. In the games, they are not rare or powerful either, as I can go catch them whenever I feel like collecting the alphabet. Also, the only move Unknown can learn is Hidden Power, which is a weak, a Normal-Type attack. I guess the fact that they are ancient and varying makes them seem unique, but I feel every Pokemon is unique. Maybe as a group the Unknown can be powerful, but as individual Pokemon, they are not too useful for battling.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Pokemon canon defines which pokemon are and are not legendary. Unown are NOT legendaries. They are simply mysterious...

OBSESSED WITH PKNM

I'M BACK...MISS ME?
in the game theyr not really legendaries, but they are scine they have more meaning to the other legendaries,entei, Suicune... and many others. they unlock stuff in the game. i think...haven't played that for a while...

but in the anime they are legindaries, since they live in anouther world and do other stuff. they are the key to unlocking some legendaries or finding out about them...they decode everything

so its just how you look at it...

Chilled2m7

WRX STi
Meh, I consider a legendary a Pokemon that has some sort of truly unique move or talent. The unown do not satisfy either criteria mentioned above. I think they're interesting, but certainly not legendary. I mean can't you catch up to 26 different kinds of them?