• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are the writers setting up Kotetsu to be a possible main character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Kotetsu fits the same shonen trope of the, "idiot kid hero" that Ash plays in shonen anime. His personality is similar to Ash in many ways as in the enthusiastic kid hero with a somewhat airhead personality. His design is also not tied to any generation by not being a game character, meaning her could fit for any gen.

Kotetsu has been promoted by the writers in various ways:

- He got a full Gym battle to himself, Marlon, who was one of the only Gym leaders Ash himself never battled in the series.

- He replaced Dawn in the opening after she left.

- He beat Bianca in the league, who was the only girl rival of the series.

- Its almost confirmed that he beats Ash in the league

- Its quite possible that he may beat Virgil too, and win the entire league in the process

- He has some of the most popular and well promoted Pokemon, like Lucario, Hydregion, Samurott, etc.

Why would the writers be promoting a new rival like this so much? None of the other rivals ever got this kind of treatment by the writers. It almost seems as he's being set up to become a possible main character, or spearhead his own series as a new kid hero.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
I don't think Kotetsu as the new 'main character' I just see him as a late arrival rival that is suddenly powerful without a vivid explanation. It just doesn't seem fair on Ash.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Kotetsu fits the same shonen trope of the, "idiot kid hero" that Ash plays in shonen anime. His personality is similar to Ash in many ways as in the enthusiastic kid hero with a somewhat airhead personality. His design is also not tied to any generation by not being a game character, meaning her could fit for any gen.

Kotetsu has been promoted by the writers in various ways:

- He got a full Gym battle to himself, Marlon, who was one of the only Gym leaders Ash himself never battled in the series.

- He replaced Dawn in the opening after she left.

- He beat Bianca in the league, who was the only girl rival of the series.

- Its almost confirmed that he beats Ash in the league

- Its quite possible that he may beat Virgil too, and win the entire league in the process

- He has some of the most popular and well promoted Pokemon, like Lucario, Hydregion, Samurott, etc.

Why would the writers be promoting a new rival like this so much? None of the other rivals ever got this kind of treatment by the writers. It almost seems as he's being set up to become a possible main character, or spearhead his own series as a new kid hero.

OR maybe unlike many of the League Characters that defeat Ash hardly get any development, Kotetsu does get some form of development, since its far more than any other League Rival has ever gotten.

Hopefully Kotestu disappears after the league. He's gotten enough special treatment which has rubbed me the wrong way.

I doubt he'll become the main character since his partner Riolu has evolved into Lucario. That means he's lost his 'pikachu' partner in the process.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Hopefully Kotestu disappears after the league. He's gotten enough special treatment which has rubbed me the wrong way.

I doubt he'll become the main character since his partner Riolu has evolved into Lucario. That means he's lost his 'pikachu' partner in the process.

I get the strong feeling that Kotetsu is essentially replacing Trip as Ash's main rival this saga.

If so, its possible Ash will have a rematch against him later on in BW after losing to him in the league.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Cyber, they are not setting up Kotetsu as the next main character. It's obvious they're not throwing some non-game character into that role, and early on in DP Dawn seemed to be the main character with being the center of attention but she wasn't actually it.

I realize you want Ash to be replaced, but be real. Why do you keep making threads to complain about it and bash BW? You don't pull this crap on Bulba because you know the threads would get closed in a heartbeat and you would be infracted, treat other forums with the same respect you would another. Your threads usually lead to negative behavior anyway.

I get the strong feeling that Kotetsu is essentially replacing Trip as Ash's main rival this saga.

If so, its possible Ash will have a rematch against him later on in BW after losing to him in the league.

Kotestu comes across like a Ritchie to me. But fine, let Ash beat him and then he can disappear for good.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Kotestu comes across like a Ritchie to me. But fine, let Ash beat him and then he can disappear for good.

If he does get beaten by Kotetsu, then I hope this happens, and just maybe perhaps Kotetsu will grow a decent brain if he gets to have character development...

I wonder, what are the chances his Lucario turned into a cold bastard Pokemon?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan

Him having an Hydreigon while you wanted that Hydreigon to belong to a CotD rubbed you the wrong way.

-----------

Anyway Cyber not making sense as usual.

Kotetsu migh appear again after the league though since Lucario and Eevee seems to still be promoted, him and Virgil migth take part in some episodes in the filler arc.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
I could buy this theory if Kotetsu didn't already have so many uber-powerful Pokemon at his disposal, and if his "Pikachu", Riolu, wasn't confirmed to be evolving.

I doubt he'll become a main character. He just seems to be giving Ash a hard time, even though they are similar. Adding to that, he does have some popular Pokemon and have good battling skills.

Princess Raspberyl

~Shining One~
Yes.

Next saga Pikachu accidentally destroys Kotetsu's bike and he joins the main cast and does Contests >:|

Kotetsu with Contests... *imagines it*
*the image of Hydreigon thrashing the appeal area with outrage comes to mind*
OH DEAR LORD NO! Make the horrific images stop ;_;

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Actually, it may be a long shot, but if Kotestu wins the league, then I would say that's a satisfying ending to bringing him in the series. I mean, the gang spent time with him when he got his final badge, arrived at the league, etc.

It's not impossible either; sure there's still Virgil that's up for the trophy, but somebody has to win. It'd be nice to have a character win the league who is fairly known to us (at this point, either Kotestu or Virgil). We had Tyson and Tobias win, and it was upsetting to see Harrison lose in the Johto league. We may not have got to know a lot about those characters, but we do know about them in some way. Today, we still, and likely never, will know who the winner of the Kanto league was. Stupid shadows. xD

After the league, I could see Kotestu appearing, and possible Virgil. It wouldn't be a bad idea. Just depends on how the situation goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.