• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are there trainers out there that don't EV train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegon

To all those who say they don't do it because it takes too much time: stop kidding yourselves. It takes half an hour to fully-EV train a Pokémon if you do it properly. If you don't want to EV train, fine. It's completely your choice. Just don't say that it's too difficult or that it takes too long.

Lightey

I don't and will never. I find it stupid to use hidden things in the game to make yourself a better player. People who EV train have too much time on their hands and are too focused on winning.

orangezilla

Who's dar man
Never EV trained. I know how to, I know why and I know it's benefits but for me theres more fun in the games personally just sticking with combination of move sets and pokemon and if I'm feeling competitive then natures.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I don't EV train for in-game teams, but I sometimes do for competitive purposes, when I battle others. My Garchomp is fully EV trained, but I think that's the only EV'd pokemon I have. It works wonders for me on the battle subway. My Registeel and Volcarona that I use on the BS aren't EV'd, but they work okay.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
I wouldn't even bother EV training for in-game purposes. However or competitive play, I would definitely do it. Or Sav.... but lets leave that discussion to a different thread. D=

Gafoozle

Look mommy!
I don't. Too much hard work for a friggen video game. It's like prestiging in MW2.

Jameson1

Mes amis
I don't play competitively, so no. In-game teams really don't require it, and I believe in using the pokemon you like regardless of base stats; it's a more fun experience that way. Using a Rhyperior, an Aerodactyl, and a Tyranitar on the same team isn't a great idea in competitive battling, but in-game you can make it work regardless of EV's.

Frog Of Steel

Quirky Nature
My requirements for a pokemon are a good nature and ability. But I don't take the time or effort to calculate EVs for training. I don't play pokemon enough to justify that.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'll be honest: I have no idea what EV training really is. I suppose it deals with the stats on level-up or every time a nutrient drink is used, but if it has nothing to do with that, then I have no idea what it is.

And I don't know either how people can do Pokémon battles online. It's through the tower in Goldenrod, isn't it? I know you can trade there from across the globe, one just needs to have Internet access. And as far as I know, I don't have access on my DS. (Probably because it's a DS Lite or something, I don't know.)

EDIT: Took a quick look through Bulbapedia, and I guess I kinda EV train, but I don't pay attention to it as much. I try to even up my Pokémon in leveling up and all, so I suppose that counts.

Last edited:

Whimsicott

I don't know how to EV train, but I tried to and failed. I need someone to teach me :/

PokeCrossbow

Pokemon Hunter
When a new game releases, I don't care bout ev training until I finish the game. afterwards I get bored and either start catching pokemons and fill up my dex or start to make goals in EV Training ;)

oreo2011

Shiny Hunter
i have never EV trained before. i dont competitivly battle online, i normally only play in game. but i was thinking of doing it just for a new challenge and maybe beat my sister at a battle for once :)

725roy

ambivolent
I don't always EV train, but when I do, I accidentally do it while trying to get my pokes to level 100.

rge

Been gone since 2013
i don´t EV train mostly cause i had no idea what it was up untill playing pokemon pearl i learnd about it and i still don´t EV train i think EV training is just a form of traning to make your pokemon stronger in a diffrent way than normal traning but mostly i don´t care for EV training i´ve beaten a bunch of my friends who EV train with my not EV trained pokemon

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I don't and will never. I find it stupid to use hidden things in the game to make yourself a better player. People who EV train have too much time on their hands and are too focused on winning.

1. EV training isn't a 'hidden thing'. That's like saying finding shiny pokes through the radar is 'hidden'. It's not hidden when characters in-game either directly mention it to you, or you are given access to items which specifically state the purpose of EV training. If the medicine wasn't proof enough, then the macho brace (GIVEN to you FREE in B/W!)and the power items sure are.

2. Too much time on my hands? With PKRS and the power items, it took me about an hour to EV train my entire team. 1 hour. I've known people spend fifty times longer trying to achieve a shiny through the MM, but I don't accuse them of having too much time on their hands. Don't be bloody rude.

3. Yes, I am focused on winning. That is the purpose of a game, is it not?

We EV trainers aren't shoving our opinions down your throat and judging your gaming style, so kindly have the same courtesy for us.

And yes, what Speed Suicune said - I think a lot of people are under the misconception that EV training is some long, difficult process that only shows results if you battle competitively. I was under this impression until I tried it a few months ago. It is incorrect. I repeat - with minimum effort and the correct preperation (PKRS & power items/brace) you boost your pokemon's stats to ridiculous levels. I'm just sorry I dismissed EV training for so long, because I feel as if I wasted the potential of so many great teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.