• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are there trainers out there that don't EV train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
I dont pay attention to EVs, so Im proud to say I dont EV train.

Aztec_Blaziken

Back to WiFi Battles
Not EV training for competitive battling is like bringing a knife into a gun fight.

Aegon

Not EV training for competitive battling is like bringing a knife into a gun fight.
Exactly. You're hindering yourself for no good reason at all. If you're at all interested in EV training, just take the time to learn how to do it properly, and it'll only take half an hour. I don't see what the big deal is about.

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
Exactly. You're hindering yourself for no good reason at all. If you're at all interested in EV training, just take the time to learn how to do it properly, and it'll only take half an hour. I don't see what the big deal is about.

aha you say that but I've pulled off some handy victories bringing my non-EV'd mons into an EV battle :p

by the way for everyone interested the 'Non-competitive trainer's hangout mk. III' has finally been made into a club, catering for all your non EV battling needs!

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=530993

randomspot555

aha you say that but I've pulled off some handy victories bringing my non-EV'd mons into an EV battle :p

First off, it's impossible to have "non-EV'd mons" unless you only leveled it up via Rare Candy, Day Care, PokeWalker, and Dream World, or you just caught/hatched it and did nothing else except maybe evolve it via a stone or something like that.

Second, all that really proves is that you fought against a moron. Assuming a competent player with similarly powered Pokemon, the person who took the time to properly EV train their team is going to win nearly every single time. Of course, some Pokemon like Kyogre or Arceus are so powerful even without being properly EV trained, it'll stomp the competition if they aren't also insanely powerful. But against, say, an EV trained Infernape and an Infernape used throughout the main game,the EV trained Infernape is very, very likely going to win 90% of the time.

I don't bother to EV train because I don't battle competitively sooo it would be pretty pointless. Sometimes I used to out of boredom though...but whatever

poopoop

SPPF STAFF
I EV train it takes me about 20 minutes. vitamins+pokrus+power item FTW!!!

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
First off, it's impossible to have "non-EV'd mons" unless you only leveled it up via Rare Candy, Day Care, PokeWalker, and Dream World, or you just caught/hatched it and did nothing else except maybe evolve it via a stone or something like that.

Second, all that really proves is that you fought against a moron. Assuming a competent player with similarly powered Pokemon, the person who took the time to properly EV train their team is going to win nearly every single time. Of course, some Pokemon like Kyogre or Arceus are so powerful even without being properly EV trained, it'll stomp the competition if they aren't also insanely powerful. But against, say, an EV trained Infernape and an Infernape used throughout the main game,the EV trained Infernape is very, very likely going to win 90% of the time.

A more accurate definition of what I meant to say is that I hadn't leveled them with a specific spread in mind, just random distribution. That's what tends to be the general consensus for 'non-EV'd', at least in the hangout.

Well I don't want to argue but it wouldn't PROVE anything. He actually happened to have very good prediction skills but unfortunately he fell flat where the final move was concerned and allowed me to KO his final Pokemon. I agree with your points about EV'd Pokemon yes that's true and I'm not here to be the ambassador of not EV'ing with a particular spread and only supporting that standpoint. It was a very close battle and we were pretty evenly matched.

Besides I've been around the competitive circuit for many years, I just don't hang there anymore so I am more than competent in battling. Being cynical and assuming I won by fighting a moron wasn't exactly the best point to make.

Last edited:

Gafoozle

Look mommy!
To all those who say they don't do it because it takes too much time: stop kidding yourselves. It takes half an hour to fully-EV train a Pokémon if you do it properly. If you don't want to EV train, fine. It's completely your choice. Just don't say that it's too difficult or that it takes too long.

And it takes about five seconds to grab your in-game team out of the PC.

maelstrom5292

Pokemon Collector
Well, I haven't EV-trained yet, but I'm about to, because I want to get into the world of competitive battling. I know how, I just haven't done it yet. I'm also waiting on my Pokemon White to come back to me...

randomspot555

I don't because then you are treating them like slaves, and it's too much work for a few stats.

Fighting 15 Magikarps to gain certain EVs is "treating them like slaves", but fighting 15 random mons on Route 23 is...uh...not treating them like slaves?

I dont Ev train, I cant be bothered with them because my pokemon work fine with thier original stats.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
I never EV trained, nor do I expect to. I rely on movepools and items to secure -my- victory.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I'm not a competitive player, so I rarely EV train. In fact, I only have around 3 EV trained pokémon (Azelf, Haxorus, and Ampharos) from when I wanted to give EV training a try.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I don't because then you are treating them like slaves, and it's too much work for a few stats.

I don't treat my pokemon like slaves. I nickname them, love them as if they aren't just animated pixels on screen, and raise them with great care (usually from helpless hatchlings at level 1). I yell at the screen to encourage them in harsh battles, and when my old Gold game deleted all memory I cried like a baby for about 3 weeks because I'd lost my beloved Nidoqueen, the first pokemon I ever caught back when I was only 11 years old. Kindly don't be so oboxious as to assume that just because I want my pokemon to achieve their full potential it must mean that I treat them like brainless drones. Your impication is both stupid and rude.

Your second comment also reveals your ignorance on the matter, unless you consider half an hour 'too much work' and 20+ increase in a single stat 'a few'. Maybe you shouldn't talk about something - or judge the people who do it - until you know what you're talking about.

And God, do I wish everyone would stop equating 'trainers who EV train' with 'trainers who battle competitively'. Just because you do one doesn't necessarily mean you do the other - I'm proof of that.

#Gecko#

The Essential One
Pretty much no one around me that plays is even aware of EV training except for one, but he graduated some years ago. I usually EV train for the Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway. But I don't bother anymore because I no longer see point and will never play competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.