• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are ultra sun or moon worth getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trudragonite

Pokemon Master
I’m thinking of getting one but don’t know if I should. I have Pokemon sun but to be honest I don’t think it’s on par with any of the other games. Post game is quite flat in sun and moon what’s it like in the new ones? Cheers in advance

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
For me, any Pokemon game that has trainer customization, good communication features, and other little fun features is always worth getting. USUM does pretty well with providing those, so they're worth it to me.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Worth getting because game mechanics, nearly everything in the game is better. (I am not getting into the war regarding the plot, I like the US/UM plot a little better because we actually get some closure that S/M never gave us.) You also need this if you want a convenient way for move tutor's.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
im not a big fan of either gen7 games but i got Sun within a few days of release and UM within a week of USUM release for the move tutors and the legendary pokemon. Sun was a letdown (to say the least) in terms of transferred content and missed opportunities. USUM made it a more complete game with still some missing content ie missing the other high end berries. the extra customization in USUM isnt much better in terms of options but it lets you do a bit more in that sense.

i cant be bothered to transfer any legends/shinines from gen6->7 so i chose to get UM for the legends and the move tutors. i do have X and OR so i have acces to move tutors there but its a small process to bring them over at times but not a hassle. i suggest you look at what SM is missing from the USUM content and if its superior to SM and you want/can get it then go for it. its about the features you want in the game and i got UM for certain reasons to make things easier for myself in Sun.

USUM is superior to SM but they're also very similar to each other. its the extra content in USUM that makes it a more complete game that SM.

Last edited:
I personally really like both games, but really it depends on what mechanics and plot points get you happy. USUM has more minigames and gimmicks but if you’re not a fan of those then that’s not a selling point. USUM has a different story to SM that takes the main characters down a similar yet also very different path, not to mention the postgame hinting at quite the cliffhanger, so if that sounds interesting then it’s worth it. The new music is really good, but I know that some people just aren’t interested in that. Really it just depends on how much you like certain features.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well purely for post game, USUM is definitely better than SM, with the whole Rainbow Rocket and Legendary hunting though I still think other third versions like Emerald, Platinum and BW2 (not a third game I know) had superior post game. It also adds move tutors which is always good.

Beyond that, the main game is almost the same, with all the changes occurring towards the end. And this is my opinion personally, but the USUM plot is actually inferior to SM. USUM is also harder than SM if you like challenges.

I personally think USUM > SM, but that doesn't mean much because in the end, I dislike both games, and hate gen VII as a whole. A lot of the original issues in SM are still there in USUM, such as Festival Plaza being crap, SOS battles as annoying and random as ever. Even the new feature Battle Agency had good promise, but is unfortunately terrible because it's almost impossible to find a high ranked trainer.

So, I would recommend getting USUM only because to keep up to date with all the Pokémon, and with Move Tutors and Legendaries, making it a more complete game. However, purely from a game experience, it's not worth it at all imo.

trudragonite

Pokemon Master
I’ll be buying one in a couple of weeks. Bit gutted I won’t get that Rockruff hopefully it’ll be up for trade somewhere.

BCVM22

The Rockruff can be bred; any Rockruff that inherits the Own Tempo ability can be evolved into Dusk Form in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon. They aren't particularly rare out there in the ether at this point, and anyone can breed you one.

Manchee

extra toasty
Well purely for post game, USUM is definitely better than SM, with the whole Rainbow Rocket and Legendary hunting though I still think other third versions like Emerald, Platinum and BW2 (not a third game I know) had superior post game. It also adds move tutors which is always good.

Beyond that, the main game is almost the same, with all the changes occurring towards the end. And this is my opinion personally, but the USUM plot is actually inferior to SM. USUM is also harder than SM if you like challenges.

I personally think USUM > SM, but that doesn't mean much because in the end, I dislike both games, and hate gen VII as a whole. A lot of the original issues in SM are still there in USUM, such as Festival Plaza being crap, SOS battles as annoying and random as ever. Even the new feature Battle Agency had good promise, but is unfortunately terrible because it's almost impossible to find a high ranked trainer.

So, I would recommend getting USUM only because to keep up to date with all the Pokémon, and with Move Tutors and Legendaries, making it a more complete game. However, purely from a game experience, it's not worth it at all imo.

The only benefit I am really seeing for US/UM is it being more difficult. I really disliked how easy S/M felt, but that was because it was like following a tutorial (go here, grab this, now go here) without much room for exploring and figuring it out yourself. I have a feeling US/UM is more difficult for battling reasons, maybe? Like major battles just being more difficult, not the actual progression of the game and having to learn for yourself what is going on.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
IF you already have sun, Ultra Moon would probably be a good complement to fill in the gaps. I personally have Ultra Sun and Vanilla Moon.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
It really depends I think. But I will say if you didn't like Sun or Moon, then you likely won't like USUM either.

Mechanics wise, USUM is better than Sun/Moon in every way (Move Tutors and new Pokémon to name a few). There's also the Rainbow Rocket and legendary hunts for post game stuff (The latter can be done before you beat the game, but you're better off leaving it for post game anyway). The totems are also quite a bit harder and will try to use actual strategies on you. The plot is mostly the same with some slight differences here and there but the main differences come in the climax.

If these sound good to you, then yes, it's worth it. But if not, then no, it's not worth it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It really depends I think. But I will say if you didn't like Sun or Moon, then you likely won't like USUM either.

Mechanics wise, USUM is better than Sun/Moon in every way (Move Tutors and new Pokémon to name a few). There's also the Rainbow Rocket and legendary hunts for post game stuff (The latter can be done before you beat the game, but you're better off leaving it for post game anyway). The totems are also quite a bit harder and will try to use actual strategies on you. The plot is mostly the same with some slight differences here and there but the main differences come in the climax.

If these sound good to you, then yes, it's worth it. But if not, then no, it's not worth it.

Definitely.

I really like US so far, and chose it since it had more Pokemon that I was interested in catching in it. I plan on getting UM down the line, but for now, US will do. The game play is pretty good so far, and anything that's similar to S/M, doesn't really matter all that much to me given that there's enough differences in the game to make me interested.

It comes down to what you like in a Pokemon game.

trudragonite

Pokemon Master
Don’t get me wrong I don’t dislike the sun, I’ve owned every game since red and blue but as the vanilla games go I’ve always preferred the third games. Yellow crystal emerald platinum b2w2. Basically can I expect the same from this game as I would them is the question. But don’t worry guys I’m going to buy both. Thanks for all the input you guys have been a great help :)

bidoofdude

Legendary Trainer
Hey all, considering getting Ultra Moon to complement my vanilla Sun game (I've bought a game from every release except BW2 since Gen 4) and was a little worried that the plot would be a bit too similar to SM. I don't really want to have to slug through essentially the same game again, so could someone shed some light on that? Thanks.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Hey all, considering getting Ultra Moon to complement my vanilla Sun game (I've bought a game from every release except BW2 since Gen 4) and was a little worried that the plot would be a bit too similar to SM. I don't really want to have to slug through essentially the same game again, so could someone shed some light on that? Thanks.

Bad news, like Emerald and Platinum, the plot stays relatively the same for the most part. US/UM's stays the same until you get to the Aether Foundation the first time around. Then it starts to subtly shift until you get a different outcome.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The originals aren't worth getting anymore, but Ultra Sun and Moon are.
You'll have access to all current Pokemon and forms, you'll never get Dusk Lycanroc or the new UBs in Sun/Moon for instance.
And Ultra was way more fun than Sun/Moon were, especially with the post game content. I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game as much since the original Black/White, Ultra Sun beat them.

DR.gonzo

Not really a fan of gen 7 to be honest , I found Sun/Moon very basic and I hated the new Trial system that replaced the Gym system .
I’ve got both copies in my draw incomplete . I’m now again struggling to get through Ultra Moon and find I put the game down within an hour of playing , haven’t noticed much change so far but I’m only on island 2 somewhere . It’s just seemed to be all hand holding Upto now and long drawn out boring dialogue/mini scenes . First time in 20years I’ve hated the games and not been able to finish one . If your like me youll probs hate this updated version too .

starbeet

Ultra moon and sun post game mission was neat, plus there are more then a couple battle options in the post game, and the mini game was worth a round or two, not to mention breeding seems like it's never been easier and ev training has more short cut then ever. getting your item is also super easy this gen. so as a trainer I'm having a really great time, my one real complaints are you don't get to use a version of your Pokemon in the mini game and other than the battle tree boss or elite four, their weren't many fun npc's to battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.