• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are ultra sun or moon worth getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeMaster366

If you play Pokemon games mainly for the story, then, sorry to say, vanilla Sun and Moon are the superior product. Hau may be handled better in the Ultra series, but the overall story takes quite a few hits, especially in consistency, in an attempt to include the Ultra Recon Squad and the Rainbow Rocket arc. Lusamine's character takes the biggest hit in the transition from the vanilla series to the Ultra series.

THAT BEING SAID, if you play Pokemon games more for the difficulty and tournaments rather than the story, I would say the Ultra Sun/Moon is far superior. Having more Pokemon to choose from is always a nice bonus, and the Mantine Surfing minigame provides a fantastic alternative for getting BP for items and Mega Stones. If you want to get involved in the competitive scene in VGCs and so on, now would be the perfect time to start.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I enjoyed the games and I think they’re worth playing. Sure the basic story is the same but it goes more in depth with Gladion and Lillie’s story and explains more about Necrozma and it’s connection to the cover Legendaries and the Ultra Beasts. The Rainbow Rocket episode was also quite interesting and a nice way to see how all the Team leaders would act if they were brought together and had to work as a whole given their different personalities.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I haven't got to the story with lillie and gladeon yet, i'm not very far, however, there are things so far i REALLY like. They are;

One: The battle music. Oh. Man. Its so epic when you battle a wild pokemon, with the rock and roll, it just HURTS how epic it is. Pokemon battles really are awesome when the music is more intense and epic :D Getting the game for this alone is WORTH IT, if you ask me. The music is and feels in battle that good to me.

Two: You can talk to and play with pokemon in game now :3 And make them happy and like you. And have your character do different things to interact with them. I find this charming and CUTE. If you like cuteness, you'll like this new feature for sure :3 Last time i played pretty much I got to do Peek a boo with a rockruff :D i loved that <3

Three: The totem pokemon aren't the same, not so far, anyways, so thats rather neat :3

Four: The major trainer battles, like with the kahunas, seem a lot harder now, to me. And you need to train and stratagize for them more. I also like that.

Five: Mantine surfing, i haven't tried it yet, but i have a feeling its super fun and will give this good replay value :D

Just my ten cents here. I think if you like pokemon games, especially, these games are worth it^^ Also, isn't it nice to just start a new journey on a new game without losing any old files, anyways? :3

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
A lot of comments at this point, but I recommend for those who didn’t get SM last winter. If you did, USUM is negligible beyond Move Tutors, Mantine Surf, and some plot/Pokémon changes. I haven’t even gotten off the second island not because it’s harder or more enjoyable, but simply because I cannot be bothered to. This is not the same as the overhaul that ORAS got. My two cents.

BCVM22

OR/AS are remakes of games that preceded them by twelve years, three generations of games and two generations of hardware, though. US/UM are not. Very different makeups.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
One thing i REALLY loved from these games: The Photo Club.

Being able to photo shoot with your favorite pokemon, in different outfits, too, and then decorating the picture with stickers....

Its one of the best ways to greater personalize your entire party IMO :)

Lots of people should get these games just to try this feature out alone.

I also plan on getting farther in my UM game again tomorrow (well, okay, its already 'tomorrow', so 'in the morning', really~). Hopefully I won't freak if Lusamine's story is a bit darker than sun and moon in this game lol

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
A lot of comments at this point, but I recommend for those who didn’t get SM last winter. If you did, USUM is negligible beyond Move Tutors, Mantine Surf, and some plot/Pokémon changes. I haven’t even gotten off the second island not because it’s harder or more enjoyable, but simply because I cannot be bothered to. This is not the same as the overhaul that ORAS got. My two cents.

ORAS was an overhaul? Aside from graphics and the changes in mechanics from 3rd to 6th gen, ORAS didn't really change much either (still better than USUM, but not really as much as expected). You want to talk overhauls look at BW2. Now that's a ****ing overhaul. Astounding that BW2 isn't the new normal for updated versions instead of being just one and done, but that just goes to show you how far Game Freak has fallen lately.

Rhody

The Adorable Gliscor
I don't think so. Although USUM has an expanded Alola Pokedex alongside with five never-before-seen new Pokemon, the National Pokedex is still absent (which is because the Rotom Pokedex is a living, breathing creature that can talk human language rather than an upgradable device), the pre-elite four storyline is pretty much the same (hardly anything has changed from Team Skull and Po Town), and many of the Pokemon that were unavailable in Sun and Moon are still unavailable in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Pokemon that are completely unavailable in Gen 7 include, but not limited to ...

*The Nido Family (sorry, no room for a poisonous happy family.)
*Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, and Bellossom (they obviously look like tropical plants)
*Ponyta, Rapidash, Blitzle, and Zebstryka (Mudbray and Mudsdale must've stomped both of them in the dirt, like ground is superior to both fire and electric.)
*Gligar and Gliscor (ever seen a vampire in Hawaii?)
*Teddiursa and Ursaring (no grizzly bears in Hawaii, I see.)
*Zigzagoon and Linoone (no raccoons, either.)
*Whismur, Loudred, and Exploud (quiet region, eh?)
*Plusle and Minun (keep the islands neutral, Alolans!)
*Cacnea, Cacturne, and Maractus (rumor has it, there are no cacti in Alola.)
*Zangoose and Seviper (a natural rivalry you can't find in Alola)
*Lunatone and Solrock (MOON, SUN, WHAT?!)
*Bidoof and Bibarel (beavers belong in Canada, not Hawaii.)
*Stunky and Skuntank (keep the islands fragrant, please.)
*Chatot (in Alola, chattering is annoying and taboo.)
*Woobat and Swoobat (at least Gligar and Gliscor are not alone.)
*Drillbur and Excadrill (they're underrated diggers, I say!)
*Cubchoo and Beartic (ever seen a polar bear in Hawaii?)
*Deerling and Sawsbuck (because seasons don't work in tropical places like Alola, that's why!)
*Heatmor and Durant (another natural rivalry you can't find in Alola)
*Skiddo and Gogoat (I swear to god they'd be as good of rides in Alola as they were in Kalos.)
*Swirlix and Slurpuff (the latter is the mascot of the malasada store.)

Also, how come Noivern makes the cut to the enhanced Alola Dex while Gliscor didn't? At least make Noibat and Noivern exclusive to Ultra Sun while Gligar and Gliscor takes their place in Ultra Moon, for crying out loud, because I see Gliscor and Noivern as batty counterparts.

Swagmander

If you haven't played Sun or Moon then yes, they are worth it.

If you have, then the difference is negligible.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I prefer the added features of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon over the original Sun and Moon, which seem outdated by now. So I'd say that these newer games are worth purchasing for the sake of playing something that feels more complete.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I don't know about you guys but I personally think the 7th Generation has both the greatest and dumbest stories ever told out of any Pokemon generation.

Personally I think If you want a good story full of great moments and fantastic surprises, get the original Sun and Moon and try to get Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon after finishing Sun and Moon to see how a few but major changes can easily turn a well-planned fantastic charming story to one of the dumbest forced seemingly rushed stories, at least near the end. I'm going to be honest, as fun as Necrozma's battle was I thought he was poorly implemented in the story. There are major differences in USUM but they are very disappointing in the story department. Also one really major change I really hate in USUM is how they removed the credit scenes full of memorable characters that hang out with there Pokemon ending with a photo of you the main character, Lillie, and Hau in favor of dancing Pokemon sprites.

If you want a challenge to an already challenging game and extra content, get Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, that's a no-brainer. Although I recommend you start out the game with few Pokemon as possible early on and no revives. I've noticed in other playthroughs, that people had gathered a lot of Pokemon early on and it immediately turned into easy mode early on. Despite the bad story, they do kind of make up for it through side quests. I really hope these side quests become a common feature in future Pokemon games.

On a different note, you know what's funny? Pokemon Sun and Moon has more post-game content than any of it's previous original releases except for Gold and Silver while Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon has some of the fewest post-game content than any of it's previous enhanced releases.

Last edited:

YairQueen

USUM is more streamlined than SM imo, especially the beginning. A lot of needless talk is out of the way although there is still a bad amount of redundancy in the game. USUM is better than SM for sure. I just got my UltraSun two weeks ago and I am happy I waited, but also happy that I did go buy the game when I wasn't strained for money.

Not sure how anyone could put that much time into mantine surf or the ultra wormholes though

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I don't know about you guys but I personally think the 7th Generation has both the greatest and dumbest stories ever told out of any Pokemon generation.

Personally I think If you want a good story full of great moments and fantastic surprises, get the original Sun and Moon and try to get Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon after finishing Sun and Moon to see how a few but major changes can easily turn a well-planned fantastic charming story to one of the dumbest forced seemingly rushed stories, at least near the end. I'm going to be honest, as fun as Necrozma's battle was I thought he was poorly implemented in the story. There are major differences in USUM but they are very disappointing in the story department. Also one really major change I really hate in USUM is how they removed the credit scenes full of memorable characters that hang out with there Pokemon ending with a photo of you the main character, Lillie, and Hau in favor of dancing Pokemon sprites.

If you want a challenge to an already challenging game and extra content, get Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, that's a no-brainer. Although I recommend you start out the game with few Pokemon as possible early on and no revives. I've noticed in other playthroughs, that people had gathered a lot of Pokemon early on and it immediately turned into easy mode early on. Despite the bad story, they do kind of make up for it through side quests. I really hope these side quests become a common feature in future Pokemon games.

On a different note, you know what's funny? Pokemon Sun and Moon has more post-game content than any of it's previous original releases except for Gold and Silver while Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon has some of the fewest post-game content than any of it's previous enhanced releases.

All Sun and Moon has for post game is the Looker Ultra Beast Clean up and the battle tree.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have the Rainbow Rocket. (Much more exciting content than that otherwise boring quest in the other game!) The Ultra Wormhole ride which you ARE going to spend a while at, the side quest on top of side quests... also if you wait a month after beating the game. (That is when Gladion comes back.)

USUM has one thing Sun and Moon NEVER gave us... Closure and you along with everyone else missed some character development in between the Necrozma climax and Rainbow Rocket!

M.P.

Retired
If you haven't got Sun and Moon, then USUM is definitely worth getting.

If you have them, I'm not sure I'd recommend to get USUM. I didn't really enjoy these games as much as the previous games, mainly because I had played Moon recently. The story differences and new Pokemon appear quite late in the game.

shoz999

All Sun and Moon has for post game is the Looker Ultra Beast Clean up and the battle tree.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have the Rainbow Rocket. (Much more exciting content than that otherwise boring quest in the other game!) The Ultra Wormhole ride which you ARE going to spend a while at, the side quest on top of side quests... also if you wait a month after beating the game. (That is when Gladion comes back.)

USUM has one thing Sun and Moon NEVER gave us... Closure and you along with everyone else missed some character development in between the Necrozma climax and Rainbow Rocket!

SPOILER ALERT!

And that Battle Tree was arguably the second most satisfying Post-Game content out of all the original releases, behind Gold and Silver's Johto region. Never said Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were bad or had worst post-game content than USUM, there great games, I just feel that it's a great example of how a few major changes can easily turn a great story into a dumb one and that compared to other enhanced releases, it's actually kind of small. Also when I say original releases, I mean Ruby and Sapphire or Diamond and Pearl as opposed to Emerald or Platnium, enhanced releases.

Also personally, I think Rainbow Rocket was a very mixed bag. It was challenging but it was so short and felt like forced-in fanservice as opposed to Anabel's appearance in SM's post-game story. Story-wise I think only thing USUM did better than SM was give Hau and Colress more development time and the abundance of side quests. Also I felt that Sun and Moon gave far better closure than Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon ever did due to easily having better character development and a far more satisfying ending. Also, and it's probably just me, I feel like they were trying to turn Lusamine into a literal Superhero in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Her appearance in USUM is very different in SM is something I think we can all definitely agree.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
How is Lusamine a superhero in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon? She's self-centred and arrogant, thinking she'll the one to save the world from Necrozma, and she loses to Necrozma. Then Rainbow Rocket comes and she gets defeated easily again. Heroes save the day in the end, she doesn't. They're not portraying her as selfish or evil, but I'd argue Sun and Moon were also somewhat nuanced in that Nihilego's influence was a large portion of her behaviour.

shoz999

I never meant that Lusamine was an actual superhero in the game. It's just the way she was presented near the end of the game, from her words to the camera works and change of tone, that she sounded and felt kind of more like a wannabe Superhero than a woman gone mad. At least to me anyway. I don't know. It's just that a lot of the dialogue she says near the end of the game are something you'd see straight out of superhero comic books and in her case, it feels very bizarre and out of place.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Oh she definitely sees herself as very important and heroic, partially because she's the head of the Aether Foundation and she feels a lot of responsibility, power, and purpose through that role. But I don't think the game presents her as a superhero, more that Lusamine sees herself like that.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
And again.... Wait a month after you beaten USUM and beat Gladion in title defense then go visit Aether Paradise.

There is a very special cut scene that doesn't reward anything item or pokemon wise... but has MORE closure to the entire Aether drama than S/M ever did when they only implied Lusamine turning over a new and having Lillie go to Kanto to help her recover. (That is the whole reason why Lillie left in the end!) It left us wanting the story to continue as to where it will all end. (I was going to give it a pass until we find out that if we want this story to continue... we better start writing fanfics!)

In USUM... we see Lusamine make the change for the better. (The abusive control freak behavior in the main story is STILL in USUM since Gladion and Lillies dialogue prior to the confrontation has NOT changed! Not to mentioned the frozen pokemon... a good sign that Lusamine is nuts in this game as well.) Once Necrozma kicked her off her high horse and YOU had to clean up the mess she made.

Lillie got to stay in Alola in USUM and become what is arguably on of the best partners in the battle tree. (Support in screens, healing and terrain can't argue for something more useful! Heck in my UM play through Lillies Clefairy actually did a good job in putting the opponent to sleep and setting up screens during the Faba fight.) If you want the Nebby closure, USUM tells you where to go! (Hint... the very place you first met Nebby!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.