• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are we being to selfish for a Kid's game?

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
When you first look at Pokemon Games, all you see is a simple little "kiddy" storyline and game...but there's a whole other side to it - the whole Competitive Battling Part (EV's, IV's, blah blah blah). If they made it too complicated as soon as you look at it you'd be turned away from it.

cocoa_adele

if they wanted it to be aimed at a different traget audience i think they would have changed it

being a kids game is one of its charms i think

I personaly think that nintendo trys to please us with the comlicated things that the kids dont see. like EVs, IVs, PR chaining, and lots of other hidden things that the hardcore crowd uses when being competitive. were as the kids are just as competitive, but can just play with friends and family and not see the complicated game macanics, only stuff like fire beats grass, grass beats water, and water beats fire, and wonder how there starter has a huge hp and speed. yet not make the connetion that they battled a boatload of beidofs and starlys when they were stuck. untill they get sucked in so much they start joining fourms and learn about the game macanics.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I dunno, most of the suggestions I have for further enhancements to the series don't make it necessarily more complicated, just more immersive. Things like more interaction with your Pokemon, trainer customization and anime-style tournaments.

But I see what you mean, but the point still stands that all things considered, Pokemon is mature a game as you want to make it, with all of its mechanics considered.

I agree with WynautQueen. Sure, some things are very complicated that will confuse younger audiences, like IV's and stuff. But it's still a kid-frendly game. If they wanted to change it for different audiances, Nintendo would have already.

Ammako

My brother doesn't cares about event-only Pokémon and he doesn't cares about EV's. He just catches Pokémon he never used to use in his Ruby game and that's it. He doesn't care that he will never get the Sapphire exclusives , other starters and event-only Pokémon.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I personaly think that nintendo trys to please us with the comlicated things that the kids dont see. like EVs, IVs, PR chaining, and lots of other hidden things that the hardcore crowd uses when being competitive. were as the kids are just as competitive, but can just play with friends and family and not see the complicated game macanics, only stuff like fire beats grass, grass beats water, and water beats fire, and wonder how there starter has a huge hp and speed. yet not make the connetion that they battled a boatload of beidofs and starlys when they were stuck. untill they get sucked in so much they start joining fourms and learn about the game macanics.

^^ That's what I said ^^ xD

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
Well yes, maybe at the beginning. But what happened in the third gen? They gave the EV cap to pokemon. And the Macho Brace. What good is a Macho Brace to anyone who doesn't understad EVs? Clearly, if we weren't meant to know about them, the programmers wouldn't have made the item.

And now you look at the 4th gen. We have the Power items, EV reducing berries, and a bazillion items to work wonderfully with certain pokemon (Breloom+Toxic Orb). Game Freak may not of originally planned it to be like this, but competition between players has always been a part of the games, and it has grown into what it is now.

To back up your point Jack, Here's a little tidbit from the interview from G4 and Junichi Masuda and Takeshi Kawachimaru

G4 said:
G4: Many people erroneously think that Pokemon games are just for children, but there are many complex features in the game like IVs, EV training, Hidden Power, and more. How did these features come about?
Junichi Masuda said:
The reason why we put things like IVs and EVs into the game is because we wanted to give players that are really into Pokemon battles much more to work with and much more to enjoy. We have a team that's dedicated to constantly enhancing and evolving the battle system. They have so many ideas and such a willingness to enhance the game. They're always thinking of ways to make battles more interesting. One example from this generation is that they separated moves into physical attacks and special attacks, which adds more versatility and strategy to both offense and defense. They always listen to player feedback and they battle a lot themselves. This team is the reason why Pokemon has such a rich battle system that's always evolving.

Next person who whines about EVs and IVs gets a faceslap on their profile. I was not talking about that when I meant about overcomplexity of a children's game. I was talking about our OWN ideas.

Grimmy

I like the family aspect of this game.

I play this game with my kids, and have seen other adults get just as excited as the kids.

At the Bryant park event, I was in line with a construction worker (HIya Shaggy) who had a Haunter tattooed on his arm. (he also had a Dark magician Girl from Yugioh on his other arm)

I enjoy how this game bridges the age gaps and is fun for everyone at one level or another.

They market this brilliantly, as pokemon is HOW may years strong? (10? 15?)

I wonder if they have pokemon shovels to handle all the cash it generates.

Grimmy

Sephiroth_Strife

It's "too" as in an excessive amount...

I don't think it's really being selfish, as people aren't emailing the creators about throwing all this stuff in there. They are merely pointing out things they think would make the games more fun/challenging/etc.

As for Pokemon being a "kid's" game, I believe that's because of association with the kiddy-looking cartoon and how the monsters generally look cute. Or at least most of them. And what part of virtual ****-fighting is kiddy?

1up.com did an interview with the creators over at Gamefreak and they mentioned how very in-depth you can get with the games, what with EVs, IVs, and such. This keeps the game interesting and challenging for older players, while the cuteness appeals to little'uns. It broadens the market so to speak. (Older people that say they don't want to play the games are simply lying to themselves :p)

Daimona

Hero of Truth
Hmm... I think that calling these threads that keep popping up "selfish" is a little strange. After all, this is a pokemonforum and therefore discussing how you think the games could be improved isn't wrong, is it? Cause' that's all it is, a discussion. It's not nessecarily the same as saying that they should be done that way or that they will be done that way in the future. Everybody knows that gamefreak never really will target a more mature audience, and that they'll never really make a complete conceptual overhaul. The threads are just a simple "what if" scenario...

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for bumping a bit......*blushing*

Last edited:
Hmm... I think that calling these threads that keep popping up "selfish" is a little strange. After all, this is a pokemonforum and therefore discussing how you think the games could be improved isn't wrong, is it? Cause' that's all it is, a discussion. It's not nessecarily the same as saying that they should be done that way or that they will be done that way in the future. Everybody knows that gamefreak never really will target a more mature audience, and that they'll never really make a complete conceptual overhaul. The threads are just a simple "what if" scenario...

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for bumping a bit......*blushing*

No, it isn't wrong to voice your opinion. But then again, voicing your opinion with rather extreme and outrageous ideas can be deemed as rather annoying and selfish. Unless you really want someone like me, or the majority of the contradicting society on your case. Joking aside now.
Anyway, (again, something I say repetitively) I think there is the occasional selfish idea in the form of a few threads. Ideas that seem rather ludicrous. If it's something like they should put roller skates in to replace the bike, that can be deemed as selfish, and idiotic. If it's something like a discussion of two item slots, thats ok in my book. It's talking about what could happen and how it could work. However, rather than talking about it, asking whether it should be included is what I'd call selfish. Put simply, threads with ideas are ok, whilst those asking about changing and including aspects in a game are selfish. Still, doesn't mean it's completely ok. In majority, I'd say the threads have a tendency to be selfish opinions.
And, referring to quote, even if it's a what if scenario, that can still make a thread selfish, just like that. Depends on what's being discussed and how it is. Still, this is only my opinion.

Dark Master Zork

dark scizor master
yea these games are alright the way thay are however past the 2nd gen the pokemon names have realy gone down hill......yanmega....and the entire thing about nosepass.... aswell as magnizone colda been better named and combee....ok....that dosent realy work for me for what it looks like magnaton any one? and more uneque types would be nice...ghost/bug? dragon/ice...., fire/dark.... hmmm actualy that last one make a good starter.... unlike those dam two fire fighting...if thay make another.......dam...ima stay away from it

any way apart from those being too selfish to kids...i dont think so as many sed ...simple to play but complex enough for those old enough to enjoy but i say some pokemon are too farfetche'd coming from the 4th gen

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
If I didn't like the games how they are I wouldn't play them.

Is it selfish to want more?
No, people like these games and as they have gotten older and evolved they want the games to it to.

I think it'd be nice if nintendo would revisit what they had in yellow. Where depnding on the out come of some battles determines your rivals team. A kind of difficulty setting. Not one that's right out, but I thought it was a great idea that was never used again in the games.

Alloute

Not Banned
Some people really get into the game, it's scary. They trade everything for shinies and event Pokemon and they battle like 50 times a day, which is a little unhealthy.

These people are the selfish ones, but it's great that many people like to play the Pokemon games, just try to take it easy, it is just a game...

Daimona

Hero of Truth
No, it isn't wrong to voice your opinion. But then again, voicing your opinion with rather extreme and outrageous ideas can be deemed as rather annoying and selfish. Unless you really want someone like me, or the majority of the contradicting society on your case. Joking aside now.
Anyway, (again, something I say repetitively) I think there is the occasional selfish idea in the form of a few threads. Ideas that seem rather ludicrous. If it's something like they should put roller skates in to replace the bike, that can be deemed as selfish, and idiotic. If it's something like a discussion of two item slots, thats ok in my book. It's talking about what could happen and how it could work. However, rather than talking about it, asking whether it should be included is what I'd call selfish. Put simply, threads with ideas are ok, whilst those asking about changing and including aspects in a game are selfish. Still, doesn't mean it's completely ok. In majority, I'd say the threads have a tendency to be selfish opinions.
And, referring to quote, even if it's a what if scenario, that can still make a thread selfish, just like that. Depends on what's being discussed and how it is. Still, this is only my opinion.

Yeah, I get your point but still, even if some ideas are a little over the top and stupid, I don't see the harm in discussing them. After all, without controversial topics things wouldn't get very interesting in the long run.

yea these games are alright the way thay are however past the 2nd gen the pokemon names have realy gone down hill......yanmega....and the entire thing about nosepass.... aswell as magnizone colda been better named and combee....ok....that dosent realy work for me for what it looks like magnaton any one? and more uneque types would be nice...ghost/bug? dragon/ice...., fire/dark.... hmmm actualy that last one make a good starter.... unlike those dam two fire fighting...if thay make another.......dam...ima stay away from it

We allready have a ghost/bug type, Shedinja. And the Houndour line is fire/dark.

Last edited:

empoleon49

Dawn's number 1 fan™
yeah i gusse

;412;;347;;107;;222;;355;;026;;136;;107;;222;;355;;194;;476;;201-m;;328;;078;;444;i mean people think event onlys suck how you can't catch them in-game but that is half the fun,going to the event yet i don't like arceus that much (my friend gave me one)i mean mew is the orginal one but anyway the events are cool to go to;492-s;

BM14murph

Master Collector
i used to think that about the stats like who cares about them

but then i realised you can't be powerful without knowing your stuff nd using them properly

yeminied

I think that the fact that the Pokemon games are made for children is why they are so appealing. We all like to release the inner kid in ourselves sometimes and what better way than sitting down and capturing creatures in little balls and putting them in our pocket. Because the games aren't the most challenging of games to complete but probably one of the hardest games to truly master is why they appeal to children and adults alike. Children can play them and get the most out of it as they can and so can adults.