• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are we really abusing the term "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" for the Anime characters?

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Zoey lost that match.

So what, in the Grand Festival Zoey beat Nando and they showed that, so I'm certain they decided to reinforce her invincible skills as a coordinator by doing that.
What flaws DID Zoey have, exactly? Did they make her so perfect to create a positive tomboyish lesbian role model for girls everywhere?

CupidKirby

To me, Zoey was like a COTD even though she wasn't. The writers didn't really put much effort into her character other than to have some plot device to help Dawn or someone else develop.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
To me, Zoey was like a COTD even though she wasn't. The writers didn't really put much effort into her character other than to have some plot device to help Dawn or someone else develop.

She still had more appearances in a region than any rival but Paul.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Let me rephrase that. She acted like a COTD.

And it's sad, really. I thought her design was awesome and she seemed to be a very promising character.....until her Glameow came out and beat every Pokemon it came across with little to no difficulty. Oh, and how is her being unsure of herself and nervous supposed to be a flaw when she's guaranteed a win almost everytime she enters a contest? That's a Sue in plain sight.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
I don't see a single character in this show as a sue of any sort.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
The only Mary Sue I would agree with is Tobias. Most of the other mentioned characters feel normal and show that they can be defeated in ways, but Tobias didn't show those qualities. He practically won the Sinnoh League with a single legendary.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Tobias is the the only one who fits the bill really if only because he just uses legendary Pokemon to win matches. I don't consider Zoey a sue. She was clearly the most skilled Coordinator in Sinnoh so why not let her win? It would be more Sueish if they just made another Solidad, talk about cheap. Comes out of nowhere for the sole purpose of preventing main character from winning. I don't even consider Richie a Gary Stu. Not his fault Ash did not raise his Charizard and there were loads of trainers stronger then Ash in Kanto, but how he copies Ash's team down to the core is annoying.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
The only Mary Sue I would agree with is Tobias. Most of the other mentioned characters feel normal and show that they can be defeated in ways, but Tobias didn't show those qualities. He practically won the Sinnoh League with a single legendary.

But we didn't and still don't know anything about Tobais. It's not like in Hoenn and Johto where Ash knew Harrison, Morrison and Tyson for alittle while.
My God, so many "son" in their names!

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Takuto isn't a stu, people. Please. He's not meant to be a well-rounded character we're supposed to follow, he's supposed to be an obstacle for the main character - someone high above the character's level to give an idea of the main character's relative powers. All stories about up-and-coming athletes have characters who are way stronger than the main guys, because you can't write characters who aren't that good at what they do without having characters who actually are good at it somewhere.
Gary Stu/Mary Sue is a term supposed to indicate poorly written characters who are meant to be well-written. Minor side characters who only serve as plot devices to determine other characters' flaws don't fall under this.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Zoey come within an inch of losing to Ash in Jubilife City, only to be saved by the timer with Aipom just about to hit Glameow?

The fact that she *had* to win that battle no matter what, thus necessitating a convenient turn of events to save her, disturbs me. Even then she had to be portrayed as unbeatable.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Zoey come within an inch of losing to Ash in Jubilife City, only to be saved by the timer with Aipom just about to hit Glameow?

The fact that she *had* to win that battle no matter what, thus necessitating a convenient turn of events to save her, disturbs me. Even then she had to be portrayed as unbeatable.

But if that happened Ash would have likely won the entire contest.

The writers would never let Ash get a ribbon because its not his quest.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I haven't seen that episode in ages but was it ever actually said if Aipom hit Glameow, Ash would have won? I mean Zoey owned the match the whole time so one hit and suddenly she would lose? If anything it makes Ash look like the sue. Aipom wasn't even that strong during that particular contest, not like it was for the gym battles and later contest.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
You're right, they're more like God Mode Sues than typical Mary Sues.

I said I don't see them as any kind of sue. Why did you think I meant anything else?

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I'm kinda surprised nobody attempted to argue against my points on Takuto thus far.