• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are You a Boy or a Girl? (In-Game)

Do You Ever Play the Opposite Gender in Pokémon?

• Yes

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I know this topic may have been brought up in other areas, but do you ever play as the opposite gender when playing Pokémon and, if so, why?

I’ve always been more of a role player when doing the games, so while the character for my first playthrough is usually a reflection of myself, most of the time I make up characters as if I’m playing something like DnD & think of their backstories, personalities, etc. Personally, there are times when I want to try the female character for a different experience or because I can think of a girl character with a better personality & appeal (Sword & Shield’s a good example because of the Scottish trainer memes). However, whenever I do play as a girl, I don’t really talk about it much because of the stigmas that guys have when they play girl characters.

I was kind of wondering if other people like playing the opposite genders in pokémon. If you do, why do you like doing it (other than s**)?

Last edited:

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I played as May the first time I played Sapphire. I liked her design better than Brendan. I also played as the girl in Crystal, because that's literally the point of Crystal. xD

Also played as Dawn the first time I played Diamond. I named her Diamond. xD No particular reason for this one.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I love girl characters especially customizable they are in post xy era

Sham

The Guardian of War
I played as Dawn once because the copy I found of Pearl had a bunch of legendaries (probably from Action Replay) but that’s about it

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
I like playing the girl characters for the most part, because they usually have the better designs! The advent of character customization also give them better outfits, so I gear more towards them naturally. I will play the boy characters usually if I’ve played through the region first and vice-versa (for example, I played the boy in Sun, but chose the girl in Ultra Sun). I do like to give myself that bit of variety, but I would say, as a whole, I prefer the girls.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I have, but typically only because of trainer customization being better and more fun for girl characters. I also played as a girl once in a non-customization game for fanfiction-related reasons.

Otherwise, in cases such as ORAS or any game pre-Gen 5, I play as my irl gender.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Male, but if I play the other version I will play female usually

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I tend to prefer playing as the female characters as they usually have better designs compared to the males. Starting from Gen 6 (when trainer customisation was introduced) the girls also have a wider selection of clothing options.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I mostly play as a girl, since I am one, but every so often I'll play the boy role.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
In real life I'm a girl, but in the games I play as a boy. In Go, however, I play as a girl.

Also played as Dawn the first time I played Diamond. I named her Diamond. xD

Diamond sounds like a pretty name for a girl. Because diamonds are a pearl's - er, girl's - best friend. :D

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I don't, usually, but I have once or twice. The first time was in Kalos to see the differences in the amount of clothing options, and there certainly was a big difference.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I'm a gal and thus I always play as one. I think when given the choice, I've only played a guy once and that was during my Moon replay. Otherwise I try to replicate a version of how I see myself in the games.

TwilightBlade

I usually play as a girl such as in Ruby, Pearl, LeafGreen and X. But sometimes when I like the male playable character's design more than the girl's design, I play as a boy like in SoulSilver and White for instance.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
I usually go for boy my first playthroughs of a gen, but alternate otherwise. I do often play as a girl, especially in the 3DS games because girls have more customization options. I also prefer playing as a girl in Crystal because it was one of the new features in that game so I did that and it just stuck.

I'm also into role playing and making my own stories of any game (even though 99% are strictly for that playthrough and nothing else), so I'm very flexible when it comes to character gender.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I've always played as a guy, even in other videogames.
And I just find Ethan and Hilbert have far superior designs(Well Lyra's good, I'm talking about Crystal) than their counterparts.