• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you a closet Pokefanatic?

Molly2010

Pokemon addict
I know that there are a lot of people on this site who are in my approximate age group (16-25) who grew up with Pokemon since day 1 and probably lots of people older and even younger. So my question to everybody is do other people know of your passion towards Pokemon? Do only some people know? Maybe close friends and family? Or do you keep it a secret that only you know about? Perhaps all of your friends know?
Personally, only a few close friends know (and they happen to share my passion on the most part) and my family knows. Other than that, nobody else knows. I have kept my cards, and video games a secret. I have had to do a clean sweep of my room when other friends come over and hide my Pokemon gear. What about everybody else?

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
I'm rather secretive with my games, so almost nobody knows. Only 1 friend and some of my family know anything at all. Of course, on Serebii.Net Forums everyone should know I love Pokemon, obviously...

Molly2010

Pokemon addict
I'm rather secretive with my games, so almost nobody knows. Only 1 friend and some of my family know anything at all. Of course, on Serebii.Net Forums everyone should know I love Pokemon, obviously...

I'm not including Serebii.net as a person incase people are wondering, I mean people you know in real life and stuff. But my family knows because I am always asking for cards and games for Christmas and my birthday.

twigadee

I wouldn't say that i was a pokefanatic, but most of my friends know that i love and play pokemon, but not to the extent of collecting the cards and every figure/object associated with it, although many people that I tell about my mini obsession with pokemon are surprised, as I am quite large and would look like a mean person/bully(though I am not one, I'm really nice :p)
I guess the reason that most of my friends know is because pokemon is quite a normal conversation with the group. Most of the people I hang out play pokemon and we battle sometimes as well, so I guess I really don't need to hide it from them.
On the other side, my family doesn't seem to care that I play pokemon, although I occasionally get the "How childish, you're almost and adult and still play pokemon" comment from my parents, but I know they dont really mind much. My younger brother knows that I play pokemon, while my younger sister could know about it.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
I'm not including Serebii.net as a person incase people are wondering, I mean people you know in real life and stuff. But my family knows because I am always asking for cards and games for Christmas and my birthday.

Sorry, that was a mistake. Anyway, needing to ask for a game or cards to be bought for you can spoil a Pokemon secret, but sadly, there's no way around it unless if you're allowed to go buy something on your own.

Molly2010

Pokemon addict
I wouldn't say that i was a pokefanatic, but most of my friends know that i love and play pokemon, but not to the extent of collecting the cards and every figure/object associated with it, although many people that I tell about my mini obsession with pokemon are surprised, as I am quite large and would look like a mean person/bully(though I am not one, I'm really nice :p)
I guess the reason that most of my friends know is because pokemon is quite a normal conversation with the group. Most of the people I hang out play pokemon and we battle sometimes as well, so I guess I really don't need to hide it from them.
On the other side, my family doesn't seem to care that I play pokemon, although I occasionally get the "How childish, you're almost and adult and still play pokemon" comment from my parents, but I know they dont really mind much. My younger brother knows that I play pokemon, while my younger sister could know about it.

My family has never told me it's childish, because they know a lot of adults and university students play it since these people grew up with it. I guess they would rather me play Pokemon than be doing drugs or something at my high school or partying, not that I have ever been the type. I am not that type of person. But in general, they think it's better to play Pokemon than be causing trouble.

PokeFandom

Shiny Pokemon Hunter
A few of my friend's know that I play pokemon and they do to . Some kids at my school know but they don't make fun of me. My whole family knows I like pokemon and sometimes use it as ideas for Christmas. :)

childxofxthexgrave

Master of Reality
People know I like Pokemon. I have several Pokemon shirts, a Pokemon hoodie and a Charizard keychain that I wear often. Heck, I even play my DS/GBA during free time in school.

To me, there's no shame in me liking Pokemon. It's fun, and it relaxes me, and it's something that's been a constant in my life.

SceptileFan

I AM RACCOON MAN
I'm currently in high school, and all my friends know I like Pokemon. Heck, my homecoming date and I went to the dance as Ash and Misty (the theme was movie night, and since there's been like 13, I suggested it and we went with it). I tell people, "Oh yeah, I still play the games, they're fun." and everyone's cool with it.

However, no one knows I am a member on this site and have Serebii.net as one of my favorites. Everyone knows I watched the original anime (most of htem did too), but no one knows I still watch it and keep track of it. Only my family knows I wrote a Pokedex-like book when I was 12 with 150 Pokemon I created in it.

So basically, a bunch of people know I like it, but the only people who know I'm obsessed with it are my family. Which is completely fine with me.

Akiyama

Awake me if Ash wins
No one in my real life knows about my likes for pokemon because no one cares for such a topic in my area. The pokephilia aspect is certainly something I prefer being kept hidden since that's viewed lowly in society; still, I enjoy it anyway.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I keep it semi-secret, becuase in the area I live, the anime made everyone assume pokemon is kiddie, so only close friends/coworkers that also like pokemon know.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Yeah, Pokemon is all the rage currently at my school. I feel cool now!!!1

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
I have to hide my interest in Pokemon. I admit I read the manga online, look up anime pics but not watch the show. Own every main console game by Pokemon. Pokemon is shunned socially in my area. Althought there are some kids that play it openly, they are questionably sane. I really have enjoyed pokemon since Day 1 of Pokemon Red. But to have to make quick remarks to hide myself. It's quite a pain, but you must suffer for your love.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
I don't know what the term "closet" means. Especially after yesterday :D (but that's not Pokemon related)

I tried to keep it secret when I came to College, but a month in I caved. And everyone loved it. Given that I have 4 Plush Pokemon in my Apartment in College (see Crane Game Catches below), my first major hookup at College was while wearing a Pokemon T-shirt, and my current Profile Picture on Facebook has me holding a Pokemon mug (filled with adult beverages), I would say that I'm very open about playing Pokemon, and the people who think I'm foolish aren't really people I would want to associate with anyway.

Penguinist Trainer

Yes I am a closet pokefanatic.

I was there at the beginning when pokemon was cool. I was still there when the people around me started thinking it was less and less cool.

Now the only one who knows i play is my girlfriend and thats because shes a fanatic too.

Pikawho?

(five15)
Alot of the people I know play it. It's not the first thing I say when I meet people, but I'm very open about it (usually making a joke about myself). I've recently unearthed my old cards and have been battling my friends, generally in public where alot of people (some who actually surprised me) asked to join us sometime when they found their cards. lol

Anyways, it's just another videogame. I don't judge people for what they enjoy to do (that's morally neutral) so I expect the same from them. If they don't wanna hang out with me cause I play pokemon, that's their problem. =/

yeminied

I used to be a close Pokéfan but not quite anymore. I am quite open about it with my friends at school. Quite often we will get into discussions about it, they will poke holes in the flaws of the series but only in good faith.

All my family know as well.

I won't hush down if I'm talking about it in class, most people I know either don't care or find it fun to relive their childhood memories.

It's only the cool guys who I won't talk about it around, however there is one cool guy from one of my classes that was genuinelly interested at the Gen V Pokémon so I thought that was a small achievement.

Zachmac

Well, in Elementry school, everyone knew I was a pokemon fanatic, and I quickly discovered that no one in this town new that the video game and anime were different worlds......So they just made fun of me for it. When I went to 6th grade.....Every one seemed to forget I liked it, so I just didn't bring it up.

So now, the only time were I talk about pokemon is the internet, or at my house.

Though, at my house, things are different.

My dad doesn't care, it just keeps me out of his way.
For my older sister, same as my dad(Except playing chest, were're both nerds/Geeks)
My little sister...She's the biggest pokemon fanatic I know.
And my mom understands it has strategy/math involved, so it's fine.
...And for my chicken...They're too stupid to understand pokemon. :D

No. 1 Machop Fan

I'm quite open about my love for Pokemon. Everyone at high school knew of my interest (6 months of being the most popular kid in high school helped that :p).