1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a closet Pokefanatic?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Molly2010, Nov 8, 2010.

1. K2000

K2000 Member

All my classmates know that I'm obssessed with Nintendo and pokemon/any thing Nintendo. But my brothers friends are all pokemon fans.
    Edit: sorry 2nd post

2. CliveKoopa

CliveKoopa Well-Known Member

Only a few family members know I like Pokemon iRL but thats it.

3. yoshi1990

yoshi1990 Yoshi Trainer

my family knows i play pokemon games. my friends know im a a BIG fan of Nintendo. If they ask if i play pokemon games i wont say no. What most of my friens dont know is im obssessed with the charicter Yoshi. My brother does not like Yoshi because of my obsesion with Yoshi.

4. torchicflame

torchicflame Big charmander fan!

I used to be in the closet with pokemon. That was in middle school when bullies would bother people over stupid reasons. Now that i'm in high school and everyone wants to relive nostalgic moment they think pokemon is alright. But now a days i don't really care what people think of pokemon it's a fun hobby and i like playing it :D.

5. Profesco

Profesco gone gently

This is repugnant behavior. You are doing yourself a disservice by feeling shame or embarassment that you don't need to feel, and you are doing a disservice to any friends you may have by lying to them. You are furthermore doing a disservice to every Pokemon fan worldwide by perpetuating the notion that enjoying Pokemon is something people should be ashamed to admit.

Is this mayhaps the beginning of an amusing anecdote?

And then thousands of Pokemon fans across the country heaved a sigh of hopeful relief.

Couldn't put it any better if I wrote it into a sociology text. People who would ostracize another person for something like enjoying Pokemon suffer from some of the most reprehensible social tendencies human beings can exhibit, along the same lines as racism or elitism. These qualities, and the people embodying them, should not be validated or enabled, and the first and foremost way to accomplish that is for us, the would-be victims, to stop allowing ourselves to be cowed by these cruel ideologies.

In case I haven't made it clear yet, I am not the sort of person who hides my love of Pokemon. There's a Squirtle on my book bag, a Scizor on my favorite shirt, and Poke paraphernalia decorating my bedroom.

This openness has never elicited a negative reaction in friends or strangers, and that's because, by the way I carry myself and express my fanship, I don't give other people the means to react as though it's anything other than an acceptable quality.

6. Marbi Z

Marbi Z Cin-Der-Race!

Considering I put 700 hours in my Platinum and over 230 in my HeartGold it safe to say I'm a Pokemaniac... I'm also not afraid to tell anyone, That's right! I'll put my Pokemon up against your Halo characters they'll tear em up!!

7. All of my freinds, girl friends, familiars know that I love pokemon so I think Im not a closet pokefan. If they do not agree with you, then they arent friends

8. Aquadon

Aquadon TCG Trainer

Amusing; yes. Highly inappropriate? 200% positive.

Saw some kid in my school cafeteria on a date with a Gengar shirt. Positively blew my mind. I may have gotten a hookup wearing one but I probably wouldn't have the kahones to go on a date wearing one. Better off rocking the brolo to look somewhat classy.

What is it with sociologists that I love so much? If I wasn't so pumped about my crane game victories I'd probably sig this.

I do this somewhat, although on most weekends I do put away some paraphernalia as to not dissuade any potential hookups (although my 2 crushes both know I play, and 1 overly embraced it)

A couple of people who I'm not really friends with said "Oh, I remember when that USED to be popular". These are not people I associate with.

9. The_Boss_Giygas

The_Boss_Giygas I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.

I'm open about pokemon, but I don't bring the subject up unless some one asks me about it, otherwise it's not a big secret, my laptop has some pokemon stickers on t and I do pokemon artwork which I show off to others when showing off my artwork so yeah.

10. Molly2010

Molly2010 Pokemon addict

No, I wouldn't say my behavior is odd. I know I probably should not care about what other people think etc... but these people are my childhood friends who just never liked Pokemon ever. And they knew I did at one point, but it's just something I don't want to share with them right now. I don't clear my stuff when my best friends come over, just those other friends.
    Also, I don't think I'm doing a disservice to every Pokefan worldwide, it's just that there is a time and a place for everything, and sometimes Pokemon is just something that isn't appropriate at that moment.

11. PungentFruit

PungentFruit Quest to be a Master

I'm very secretive. Sometimes I'm all Pokemon all the time while others...you would'nt even know I obsess over strategies and Pokemon!

12. Profesco

Profesco gone gently

The inappropriate anecdotes are often the best ones. Too bad this is a kids' forum.

A Gengar shirt? Jeez, I've got to find these things. Searching for Pokemon clothing on eBay reveals little kids' pajamas and backpacks, and infrequently those "Pokemon 151" shirts that were supposed to be retro stylish adult wear. I've got a Scizor shirt, a Gyarados shirt, and the same D/P DS shirt you have, and I want more similar clothing, but I can't find anywhere to purchase it. >_<

Anyway, yeah, a date with a casual Pokemon tee would be bad form. At least on "date" dates, you'd want to be dressed to the nines. I could certainly endorse a Gengar shirt on a casual date, though, like a beach walk in summer or something similar.

Oh, to have come so close to victory~

Well sure. It's not as though you've got to flaunt it like you were an evangelical Pokemonist. My stuff's not tastelessly saturated, either. There's a Cranidos on the bookshelf, some plushies on the dresser, and some Pokemon-themed pillows on the bed. Going out of your way to explode your fandom all over the place is just as sketchy as going out of your way to conceal every instance of it.

I know, hah. The response to your first post was intentionally designed to be hardline. The bit about doing the disservice to fans everywhere is an entirely ideological point, not a material one. The most important of my criticisms was that you are feeling shame or embarassment that you needn't feel. =)

Although the ideological point is perfectly sound. You wouldn't hide your friendship with black people if some of your friends might not approve, would you? By doing so, you would be indirectly perpetuating racism without being explicitly racist yourself. The same principle applies to the way you hide Pokemon. It's not fair to the rest of us that you treat Pokemon as something to be shunned or secreted away, because that gives credence to the idea that Pokemon is something to be shunned or secreted away, which opens the door for other fans to be ostracized.

13. Eivana

Eivana There Is No NiGHTS!

I have never found reason to try and hide it. If it's something you like, then it's something you like. No need worrying about it. I am not a closet Pokefanatic, but sadly as far as I know I am the only Pokefanatic of my friends... Or anyone around me.

14. Manafi's Dream

Manafi's Dream フェアリータイプタイム

A few of my friends know, and I wear a Pokemon stretch bracelet to school, but other than that I'm pretty quiet about it. Me and one friend do have this thing where we'll talk about it out loud though.

15. AzukanAsimbu

AzukanAsimbu Petal Paladin

ive never been a closet fan, in middle school people would pick on me and my friends for playing it during recess, and class, and lunch, and field trips, and id play it while walking to school (even in the snow, i kept it in my coat) but noone cares anymore so i play as much as i want, which ive always done

16. Manafi's Dream

Manafi's Dream フェアリータイプタイム

See, I was worried about that happening to me, but once you hit high school no one cares cuz they watch embarrassing things these days, too. I mean seriously, what's up with Glee? But yeah, I'm glad I can be open about it and have no one pick on me.

17. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

I think at one point I tried to keep it secret from everyone, but my drawings reflect my passion, really, since my style is pretty much similar to how the Pokemon characters are drawn. There were those jerks who would attempt to poke fun of me for liking Pokemon, but by that time, I didn't care. At lunch, I would whip out my GameBoy SP and play my Ruby or LeafGreen (whichever I had with me that day). And everyone's cool with it, pretty much. A friend even said he hadn't heard a Pokemon game in forever, so I take it he ended up going down memory lane for a little bit.

And of course, college. I go to a college where everyone is a geek, a nerd, an anime-lover, a gamer, you name it. So I'm sure if I was to bring up Pokemon, everyone would eat it up and we'd have a blast.

18. Aquadon

Aquadon TCG Trainer

I got the first one with a DS, and then I saw one in Hot Topic and got it. It's all about one's that have subtlety; and then I'll grab it.

I got the 4 Crane Game guys (love them; nothing's quite like winning a Pokemon. Almost the equivalent to a Capture), 4 Mugs, 1 BIG Mug, 2 Towels (none of which have the actual Pokemon logo). As I said, it's about subtlety.

19. Haxy

Haxy legendary spooky silke

I don't really care. I'm not a closet fan. Yes, I do play in public. And also around any friends. I'm not worried at all about others.

20. Molly2010

Molly2010 Pokemon addict

I play in public too! Like when I go somewhere like a doctors office or waiting for my parents etc, but I guess I'm just not as outgoing as some people with my Pokemon fandom. One day I probably won't care about who knows it but I guess I just don't feel comfortable exposing it to ALL of my friends right now. I do admire the people who don't care about what other people think though.
    I also apologize by making it sound like I am saying it's bad to like Pokemon and that you should be ashamed, because that's NOT at all what I meant. I just mean that I personally haven't had the opportunity to tell ALL of my friends, so only some friends know that I do enjoy it. I am just not ready to share it with ALL of my friends right now. I am proud to like Pokemon though and consider myself a fan, even if I don't tell the whole world.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010