• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you a Pokemon trainer of different types of Pokemon or of a specific type?

cmpunk1

Hi

I was just wondering whether you a Pokemon trainer of different types of Pokemon or of a specific type?

Either way why have you chosen to have a varied type or why have you chosen to have a specific type?

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
I switch every so often.
I mostly use differnet types, but recently I have been using one type teams.

Hikatoshi26

I keep a balanced team and moveset at all times but I train all electric types.

I train Pokemon of mixed types, mainly because of my favorite Pokemons are different types. I use normal (Watchog), fighting (Mienshao), water (Dewott), dark (Liepard), Electric (Emolga) and grass (Servine) the most. Water and Grass in different games. Another Pokemon that I like, either similar types.

Last edited:

Golemite

It really always stroke me as the "default" gaming when you try to have pretty much everything in your team. I guess both the anime (Ash has always had type variety in his teams) and role-playing/character-building customs themselves affect to this thinking of mine (and many others'). So, I think even intuitively, you try to have as many types of Pokémon in your team as possible. Or at least a couple of different types. You kind of have to be over an invisible limit of what you feel is a "safe and secure" team that would be able to counter some, if not most, or even all the possible opposition. Depends on how seriously you want to play and want to (over)think these things. Guess I'm pretty analytical myself nowadays. ;)

Of course it can be all about preference, too. What Pokémon you want to use. I think there are much differences in Pokémon players in this preference vs. effectiveness continuum, if you will. I find myself being somewhere in the middle: I only want to use Pokémon that I like, but at the same time I require that they're good battlers (you know, final forms, skilled in either Attack or Sp. Attack for example, if they're not stallers or something.. stuff like that.) They must have the looks AND skills that I like! :)

All that said, somehow, I often prefer a Fire-type team in Gen III for some reason. Possibly because the Fiery Path (?; whatever the name is) is such a mecca of fire Pokémon that I feel convenient to catch my whole team from the same place! :D Also great variety of Fire Pokémon there, great looks for everyone in my opinion! And they're relatively strong too. Plus I find it interesting to face e.g. Wallace... It's harder than usual, as opposed to me often finding the normal gameplay too easy. I don't require a whole Fire-type team per se, though, just Pokémon who all know fire moves. For years I've planned to do that team one more time and write about it...

Always loved the first Gen Water Pokémon too! Now that would be a team I'll going to do once. Already liked the type for both their graphical designs and their variety when I was a kid playing Red. Now you can find lots of variety in pretty much every type, but back then Pokémon were mainly just Electric or Fire or stuff like that (and it's actually gone to the point that I often find newer pairings like Ghost/Electric... even a bit too artificial at times). But Water was their own thing. Water/Ice of course, but Water/Fighting, too. Water/Flying, Water/Psychic, Water/Poison... I've been itching to start an all-Water team (with many secondary types) in Gen I for some time now!

Bottom line: I think it's what everyone prefers. Either maximum preference or maximum effect in battle, or anything in between. Then there may be these experiments / ideas / stuff to try themed teams such as Pokémon with same type, color, habitation... I usually go with mixed teams both because of results and what I prefer, but Gen III often is an exception since, oddly, I'm in for all-Fire(-move) teams there! :)

Last edited:

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
For actual gameplay, I tend to use somewhat varied teams, but I am usually going for coverage, as opposed to types. Which means that I can have a team that is made of four fighting types, a dragon, and something as long as it covers all possible foes. Usually I don't get that specialized though.

What I tend to do is have pokemon of a certain type on my team. Most teams will have a dragon, a flying type, a water type, and often a dark type for soem reason. of course, some of this will depend on what the game gives me.

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
I tend to use Steel and Ground types most often. They're my favorite overall types.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
When I was younger, I trained Pokemon of all types, shapes, and sizes. Well-balanced and diverse was my motto.

When I got Pokemon White, I became mainly a Dragon-type trainer, having teams with heavyweights like Charizard (yes, I know he's technically a fire type), Dragonite, Gyarados, and others.

Now that I'm playing Soul Silver, I'm back to my original method of training, having a diverse and well-balanced team, always with a Pikachu at the head of the team (he was my first ever starter; my first game was Yellow). :)

psychonerderer

for actual playthrus i prefer a well-balanced team. if i cant fill it out by the e4, i'll throw in legends to fill it out. thats usually where my elemental-overlaps come in. that team in my sig is just my trainer club 6, but i try to have at least 1 poison and/or ghost.

PKMNinja

Black Ninja
Fire Pokemon Rule The World!

Fire Pokemon are the best. They may have a few disadvantages, but all of them look awesome! I will always choose a Fire starter because it was I choose in my first game, Platinum. I will never choose any different.

Attachments

• icon6.png
    icon6.png
    804 bytes · Views: 13
I try to go for a mix. The more types the better to me in my party. You're better prepared that way.

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
I usually use a mixed, well balanced team. Although i tend to lean more towards ghost types for some reason; mostly because my favorite pokemon are ghost types. Sadly they have an easy weakness though.

Reborn_Silver

the Radiant Dawn
I prefer to spread out for as much coverage as possible, but with Steel, Dark, and Dragons always finding a spot. My current team is below--as much coverage as I can get, unless the pokemon has something I really want, Serperior and Alakazam for example.

tl;dr I go as much coverage as possible.

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
Usually all different types. I pick the pokemon with pokemon I find cool. I don't care about movesets. And screw IVs Mah Pokemanz be clean.

Enjolras

Master of the House
I play with a variety of different types of Pokemon. I always have a bug type, something powerful like Leavanny or Heracross. And an Ice type as well. I rarely use many pokemon of the same type for battling, but I train practically everything I catch.

Ditto B1tch

Like most of the people, I am a trainer of different types. Being a monotype trainer is dangerous, everybody that already played Pokemon knows that. There is always a NPC in every rpg version that warns you about varying the type of the Pokemons in your team to prevent finding an opponent which type is in advantage to your whole team.

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
Different types user, although I prefer to have water or psychic pokemon in my team, but mostly my fave pokemon, no matter what the types are.
Especially for a new game, I like to try different pokemon w/ different types.

Ninfia-Fan

Most of the time I go with as many different types as I can get in my party. For X and Y, I'm planning to have a team of Eeveelutions with Fennekin at the head.

I'm a user of many different types. That said, though, those different types tend to be the same throughout every play through of a game; I typically have a Fire-type, a Water-type, a Flying-type, etc. in every game I play.