• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Are you afraid of the dark?" Ghost mono team

Gelatino95

Not a tool
So Ghost has been my favorite type for a while, and I've always had fantasies of being a ghost gym leader. So now that I've compiled all my knowledge of competitive pokemon, I decided to try my hand at making a mono-type team. Enjoy and please help out if you can.

478.gif

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Snow Cloak
Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Beam

My lead. Uses Taunt if the opponent's lead is going to try setting up entry hazards or Taunting me back. Sets up Spikes super fast and will try to get in as many layers as possible. Destiny Bond is there for when Froslass is about to go down, so we can take down the opponent at the same time. Ice Beam is so I'm not Taunt bait.

426.gif

Drifblim @ Leftovers
Aftermath
Timid
252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball

Baton Passer for Gengar. Drifblim's massive HP and defense EV investment, coupled with the special defense boost from Calm Mind should keep him alive long enough to get in a couple Calm Minds and maybe a super-chunky Substitute while I'm at it. Baton Pass makes life much better for my Gengar, who will then destroy everything in his path.

094.gif

Gengar @ Wide Lens / Life Orb
Levitate
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

The day of reckoning has come. Gengar will literally sweep away the competition after a couple boosts from Drifblim. Shadow ball is STAB and gets good neutral coverage. Focus Blast gets excellent coverage with Shadow Ball and is pretty powerful at that. Thunderbolt just adds to the fun, with even more super-effective hits. Destiny Bond is there for when Gengar is at low health and about to be taken out.

I'm still debating which item to use. Wide Lens is better in my opinion, since I'm really afraid of Focus Blast missing. Life Orb increases power at the cost of HP, but I think I might not need the extra power with Drifblim providing Calm Mind boosts.

609.gif

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire / Shadow Tag
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [ice]

The revenge killer for when Gengar is defeated. It's mostly meant to pick off weakened opponents, since it has no way of boosting its special attack. I'm hoping to give it Shadow Tag in case it's ever released, but otherwise, I just use Flash Fire. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and switch in to a Fire move. Flamethrower and Shadow Ball are STAB, and Energy Ball rounds it off. Hidden Power [ice] is there for Dragons, but if you know any better moves to put in that slot, please let me know.

356.gif

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Pressure
Calm
252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Will-o-wisp
Toxic
Pain Split
Seismic Toss / Night Shade / Hex

Will-o-wisp and Toxic are dual status that cripple physical attackers or wear down on the enemy faster, respectively. Pain Split heals Dusclops while doing some damage to the enemy. Seismic Toss does reliable damage, but can't hit Ghost types. Night Shade does the same thing, but doesn't hit Normal types. On the other hand, Hex can do a lot of damage coupled with the boost from status and STAB, but once again doesn't hit Normal types.

623.gif

Golurk @ Life Orb
Iron Fist
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake

I'm really not sure about this one, he doesn't seem that impressive. I didn't know what to do for the EVs, so I just did what I always do with them. If there's a better EV spread, like I said above, please let me know. He's got three immunities, so I can probably switch him in safely somwehere. Substitute protects him while he prepares a super-powerful Focus Punch from behind a safe substitute. Shadow Punch and Earthquake are STAB moves in case I need them.

I've also prepared another set in case the SubPunch set isn't all I hope and dream it will be:

Golurk @ Life Orb
Iron Fist / No Guard
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Rock Polish
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm / Dynamicpunch

Rock Polish doubles his speed, which helps out a lot with this guy. Shadow Punch and Earthquake are basic STAB, the former of which benefiting from Iron Fist. I choose Hammer Arm if I plan on using Iron Fist, or Dynamicpunch if I can ever get my hands on one with No Guard.

Well, there's the team. I've pointed out the areas where I need assistance with the team. Also, I'm seriously considering replacing Golurk. I don't trust his ability to SubPunch. If you have a suitable substitute, then please let me know.

Last edited:

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
Dusclops doesn't really have the best attack for the set you have. Thats probably better suited for dusknoir. I can give you a different set if you want or you can just use dusknoir with a leftover. Also, it's probably better to put the speed ev in golurk to Hp since it's slow as dirt anyways.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Okay, I'll change the speed EVs on Golurk to HP.

I'm still trying to decide on the set for Dusclops. I was thinking maybe something like this one:

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Pressure
Calm
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Will-o-wisp
Toxic
Pain Split

I need to decide on Seismic Toss or Night Shade. If I choose Seismic Toss, then I won't be able to hit ghosts, but if I use Night Shade, I won't be able to hit Normal types. Alternatively, I could go with Hex, which has 100 base power and STAB.

Last edited:

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Bump. Come on, people, I really need help with this. I put my preferred Dusclops set on the OP, but I still need help deciding which move to use.

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Sorry dude, but ever since that one guy spammed all those monotype RMTS...

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
Okay, I'll change the speed EVs on Golurk to HP.

I'm still trying to decide on the set for Dusclops. I was thinking maybe something like this one:

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Pressure
Calm
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Will-o-wisp
Toxic
Pain Split

I need to decide on Seismic Toss or Night Shade. If I choose Seismic Toss, then I won't be able to hit ghosts, but if I use Night Shade, I won't be able to hit Normal types. Alternatively, I could go with Hex, which has 100 base power and STAB.

This is probably a better set, but change the ev spread to 252 defense and special defense and the last to Hp to maximize the pain split recovery/damage. Oh, and use night shade since seismic toss gets you walled by ghosts and dusclops doesn't have enough special attack to utilize hex.

cdawg3574

I DO THIS SH*T!!!!!
Shadow tag lure is banned, just so you know...

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
Yeah, shadow tag isn't released in chandelure but for some reason I think PO still uses it. But yeah, just use flash fire, Chandelure is still a great revenge killer

Gelatino95

Not a tool
PO uses Shadow Tag Chandelure even though it's not released. Same with No Guard Golurk, if I'm not mistaken. This is supposed to be an in-game team, so I just put those there as options in case they ever get released.

I'll get rid of the HP EVs on Dusclops. Thanks for the advice.

PokefanTez

If Gengar ever gets beaten, you may have trouble with dark types, especially if you use the second Golurk set. Keep in mind that Gengar seems to be the one the term "Glass Cannon" was created for. Still, it sounds like a good team overall, especially since, as you said, it's an ingame team.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I plan for Chandelure to come in and revenge kill once Gengar is out. However, Chandelure has no way of boosting his special attack, so he's pretty much meant to pick off weakened foes. I wouldn't trust his ability to beat a pokemon from full health. That's why I have Golurk to switch in if Gengar takes the enemy down with Destiny Bond.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Bump. What item should I use on Gengar, Wide Lens or Life Orb? I'm really afraid of Focus Blast missing, especially since Gengar is really frail...

Espectra

The Ghost Type Guru!
I've always used a life orb for my Gengar, usually I go for the Sub + Pain Split Move Set if you are familiar with that.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Pain Split

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
ha ha! I thought this post looked familiar. Did someone seriously just dig this out of a long dug grave? Pun somewhat intended (though not intended to be very funny).

Espectra

The Ghost Type Guru!
ha ha! I thought this post looked familiar. Did someone seriously just dig this out of a long dug grave? Pun somewhat intended (though not intended to be very funny).
No, I just saw him post it in another thread and it immediately caught my interest for obvious reasons...

Sorry for bumping! I'm still learning...

Quagsireking

I am the king!
You have an ice weakness (main threat are ice water types)

OR you could have issues with jellicent