• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you choosing the male or the female trainer? Marina or the new girl?

Male or female trainer?

• Male

Votes: 740 58.0%
  • Female

Votes: 148 11.6%
  • I want Marina!

Votes: 282 22.1%
  • New girl is better

Votes: 105 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faerie

MONS
I was really surprised they didn't keep the old female trainer. Crys was cute. :( I really do like the new character's design, though, which is nice. I think I'll go with the male character like I was planning to. 'Cause I always pick female.

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
The new girl disgusts me. Krys was amazing, and is very nostalgic. The new girl is just stupid.

So I'll go with Gold, like I always do, and name him John/Brad/Parker/James.

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Girl..I hate playing as a boy in Pokemon.

I still want Kris!
That girls cute,but why not Kris?
We have Gold? A very cute looking Gold,but still Gold.

This new girl is so...Harvest Moon!
They left Leaf in the remakes of Red/Green,and she wasn't even in the games.

Why not Kris?

Last edited:

ap13095

Noobslayer
There is another reason, in my opinion, why they didn't choose Crystal.

From my post on BMGF:
I think the girl in Crystal was meant to have more of a tomboyish look - since by their reasoning, most girls playing at that time (or would play if there was a girl character), so they made it similar to the audience they were trying to appeal to. May in RSE kept this sort of pattern.

But Dawn - and Leaf as well -, in my opinion... she just has so much more of a... feminine... look, if you understand, since from my understanding, many girls play Pokémon as well nowadays (at least younger ones), and they are trying to appeal to another audience now (the more 'girly girl' girls).

In plain terms, this is simply a marketing decision based on the audience they already have, and the new audiences they are trying to appeal to.

It's true, in my opinion. Look at it. They slowly go from less to more girly. Krys, May, Leaf, Dawn, and now Soul. The first two were okay, but as you go on, ugh...

EDIT: And Tomato-Kun, my guess is that Krys was linked to Crystal, not GS. For another reason, read my post right above this.

Last edited:

Birgeer

Suicune-Master
i was for once going to chose female, since i thought i could play as marina, but the new girl is ugly (compared to marina)! shes almost like the fire red/leaf green girl, leaf (thanks tomato-kun) only that she actually was ok... :(

and she was? iwe never heard that before? O.O ty for the info:D

but now im chossing gold (who actually looks younger and slimmer? have he lost weight? :p

Last edited:

neo darkrai

Amateur YouTuber
My Choice

Since I'm a boy, I have to go with Gold or whatever he's called. Honsetly, the new female character seems strange with that big hat and strange expression on her face. The male character on the other hand, seems to look younger when compared to old GSC artwork.

Grei

not the color
This new girl looks utterly ridiculous, I cannot stand her. I want Kris/Marina back; she was cool!

However, either way, I'll be choosing the boy, so it's not going to make a giant difference to me...

The new girl looks kind of like a cross between a farmer and a schoolgirl, so I'm not happy that it's what'll be helping me throughout the game. :(

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
i was for once going to chose female, since i thought i could play as marina, but the new girl is ugly (compared to marina)! shes almost like the fire red/leaf green girl, only that she actually was ok... :(

?
Leaf? Well,she was supposed to be in the original games.

I don't understand why they don't just redo Kris's style,like they did with Red/Gold/Leaf. Leaf wasn't even in any of the original games,and yet they took out her official art and put her in the remakes. Why care if Kris wasn't in Gold/Silver?

I find Gold laughable for some reason. He looks too adorable!
Heartie may look like someone straight out of a Wii Harvest Moon game,but she's just a trainer with a giant hat. Look behind her looks,and she can make a good character.

Especially since she doesn't talk,you control her every thought

Last edited:

iLOVEcroutons

Grass Type Lover
I'm gonna choose the girl (just because I am one lol), but I was really hoping for Marina... :[

I hate it they had to make the male look somewhat like Gold, but they girl had to change A LOT! Why couldn't they have just made some blue haired semi looking Marina? D:

For HeartGold, I'll play as the male character. For SoulSilver, I'll play the female character.

I don't hate the new girl, it's just... Crystal is miles better than her. Truthfully, Crystal was my favorite female character of the Pokemon RPG games. What was the sense in replacing her? Seriously, WTF GameFreak? The dead look in the new girl's eyes also kinda gives me the chills, lol. And that hat has GOT to go. She kinda reminds me of... Pippi-longstockings?

EDIT: And to comment on the male character... is that really Gold? I mean, they look similar, but there's something... off. He looks like a pushover compare to the original Gold, lol.

Last edited:

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Male, since I am a guy. I may choose female when I import both.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
ewwww. they replaced marina! thats not cool dude...
i guess im gonna go with the new girl (since i am one ^_^)
even though marina was wayyyyy better.
i shall name her magenta :D

zephyr flutist

National Catcher
It's not flawed. They're remaking Gold and Silver. Kris wasn't in Gold or Silver. So there you go. It's like people crying because Pikachu doesn't follow you around in FireRed or LeafGreen.

Besides, this girl pretty much is Kris. The hairstyle is the exact same. They just changed her hair from blue to brown, which I think is better looking.

I really do not believe they put the new girl because Marina wasn't in Gold and Silver. Emerald and Platinum had the same characters twice.

Jolteonmaster2

>.<

What.

Happened.

This is anarchy! What happened to Crys?

If you look at the original design of the RBG female (not implimented for memory purposes), she looks SOMEWHAT similar to the current design.

But this new one's only similarity to Crys is gravity defying hair, which many Pokemon characters share anyways.

ap13095

Noobslayer
Like I said earlier:

I think the girl in Crystal was meant to have more of a tomboyish look - since by their reasoning, most girls playing at that time (or would play if there was a girl character), so they made it similar to the audience they were trying to appeal to. May in RSE kept this sort of pattern.

But Dawn - and Leaf as well -, in my opinion... she just has so much more of a... feminine... look, if you understand, since from my understanding, many girls play Pokémon as well nowadays (at least younger ones), and they are trying to appeal to another audience now (the more 'girly girl' girls).

In plain terms, this is simply a marketing decision based on the audience they already have, and the new audiences they are trying to appeal to.

EDIT:
This is anarchy! What happened to Crys?

No, my friend. THIS...IS... ... ...JOHTO!

But this new one's only similarity to Crys is gravity defying hair, which many Pokemon characters share anyways.

You're completely right on that one.

Last edited:

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Does anyone find it odd that the girls Pokegear is on her bag,but Gold has his on his wrist?

Isn't that a little odd?

>< How long does it take people to get used to new characters? A few months,right?
In a few months everyone will love her,like they do with every change.

She does look a lot less tomboyish then Kris. But..She still looks more tomboyish than Dawn.

KKInu

Like I said earlier:

-_-' that really sucks, I really don't like the girly aspect. Personally I'm proud of being a tomboy and I think the more rugged looks is better suited to an adventure..... even Leaf, who you claim was meant to be more feminine, I felt had a spunky air to her.

I don't hate the new girl, in fact I'm embracing her, I'm just overall upset that the creators seem to really like making the females "girly", with all the pink gadgets and stuff. I don't see why a girl wouldn't want to play the female character just because she looks more tomboyish, I remember while playing Crystal I was just happy that they finally let you choose between being a boy or girl.

Sailor_Tenchi

I'll probably play as the girl despite the fact that I utterly despise her hat. I prefer Kris.

But I don't really like the designs for any of the female characters. Gah, I wish there was a tomboy option.

Not that this has any effect on my opinion of the games, I'll still love them. I just wish I could play as a tomboy character for once. -_-

KKInu

Does anyone find it odd that the girls Pokegear is on her bag,but Gold has his on his wrist?

Isn't that a little odd?

>< How long does it take people to get used to new characters? A few months,right?
In a few months everyone will love her,like they do with every change.

She does look a lot less tomboyish then Kris. But..She still looks more tomboyish than Dawn.

No, I don't think so, in the original games, Gold had his Pokegear on his wrist, and Kris had hers hanging on a string around her neck, people have different ways of carrying their things, its now unusual.

well, aside from the hat, yes, I think the new girl looks more tomboyish than Dawn XD

Sailor_Tenchi

-_-' that really sucks, I really don't like the girly aspect. Personally I'm proud of being a tomboy and I think the more rugged looks is better suited to an adventure..... even Leaf, who you claim was meant to be more feminine, I felt had a spunky air to her.

I don't hate the new girl, in fact I'm embracing her, I'm just overall upset that the creators seem to really like making the females "girly", with all the pink gadgets and stuff. I don't see why a girl wouldn't want to play the female character just because she looks more tomboyish, I remember while playing Crystal I was just happy that they finally let you choose between being a boy or girl.

This. All of it.

I actually like Leaf better than most of the others. Despite her skirt, she seemed a lot less painfully girly.

Status
Not open for further replies.