• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you content with Chloe and Goh technically being his final canon companions?

Sham

The Guardian of War
The question though is why does Goh make people seethe?
Idk but people letting Pokémon characters irk their spirit is all you need to know to make somebody stan them, it’s never that serious. You got 10 years olds not allowing you to sleep because they’re living in your mind rent free

Gingertail24

Meh not really.

GOH is fine as a character if you just count his internal growth. Which I think could of been executed better but isn't bad at all. But it sucks that the last companion goal, which had a great premise, had one of the worst execution ever. Close to showcases. So yeah

My issue on Chloe is the same as many others. She was uninteresting after she got evee, her evee episodes for the most part spotlight on a cotd instead of her and were just boring, they tried to make a trio dynamic with Ash and goh but it didn't work. GOH having Chloe as a friend since childhood yet they have little chemistry, Chloe rarely interacts with Ash . And her ending sucked I'm sorry. Imo one of the worst female "companions" we had. Which absolutely sucks since female representation was needed in JN. And it sucks that they ended the anime with ANOTHER female companion that doesn't battle. Since BW sheesh

So yeah

Leonhart

Imagineer
Not particularly. I was fine with Gou's inclusion in the main cast, but Koharu was more like a supporting cast member than a true traveling companion due to her frequent absences during the main storyline. Overall, I think I would've preferred if Satoshi's traveling companions in Pocket Monsters 2019 had been the playable characters from Shield and Sword, instead.

KukuiFanatic501

No. Simply because Ash's last series should've been about Ash. Worst time ever to artificially add an "equal" protagonist. Make use of the world you created to conclude the story and not wait until the last 11 episodes. Past companions and reserves were always the way to go.
Honestly yeah I’m starting to feel this way too. If we knew from the jump that Journeys was gonna be Ashs last series as the MC, then future cameos or not, Journeys shouldn’t have had the spotlight split. It should’ve been focused on mainly Ash and went full circle a lot more on a bunch of other stuff from the past to close it out. And more unpredictability too (Leon vs Ash is fantastic but the entirety of the Masters 8 felt way too artificially set up in Ashs favor to the point where everything was predictable and expected outside of, at best, 2 battles).

They’re his weakest (in terms of actual character) and most forgettable traveling companions to date so…. I guess? I mean Koharu barely spent time with him and Goh was like the male Dawn to him in terms of friendship. I’m happy with them as his final traveling companions than his JN Team.
If anything, Dawns probably more worthy of the “final girl companion” spot for Journeys instead of Koharu (not counting Misty’s role in the 11 upcoming episodes) given how much she showed up, her consistently being in the final opening without being swapped out and her being the only pokegirl who showed up in person to watch Ash become world champion.

Sham

The Guardian of War
They’re his weakest (in terms of actual character) and most forgettable traveling companions to date so…. I guess? I mean Koharu barely spent time with him and Goh was like the male Dawn to him in terms of friendship.
It’s so sad that they tried to sell that they were co protagonists only to have Ash vs Leon to be a four parter right after a three parter and PM got two episodes.

KukuiFanatic501

Honestly it makes you wonder what was the point of all of those Contests implications and features only for her to replace Ash and Goh and unsurprisingly not evolving Eevee. The whole Eevee felt so disorganized with her becoming a researcher
Exactly. Hell, if the writers wanted to go down the route of the new protagonist being someone inspired by Ashs accomplishments, then Koharu realistically speaking should’ve became the next protagonist so that she would’ve been redeemed by desperately needed character development that she didn’t get to have here. And Eevee being a 2nd co mascot would’ve worked well in her favor to cover Pikachu

Note: this isn’t me saying Koharu should’ve gotten the role instead of Riko, this is me saying she realistically could’ve gotten it since JN had the potential to set up Koharu being inspired by Ash if they actually played their cards right.

KukuiFanatic501

tbh I think the Alola group should've been his 'final companions' and this saga should've been all about his past companions (including Alola ofc) rather than shoving in new characters. After all, this was the final season of the anime; it should've been about the 25 year history of this show and resolving the stories of his past companions (and maybe giving ALL of them a chance to travel with Ash again), not new characters.

This is not to say Goh and Chloe shouldn't have happened at all, just that maybe they could've made the next saga all about them instead? Hell, maybe even add Ash in as a side-character who acts as Goh's mentor of sorts, and doesn't need to be in focus.
So basically, SM should’ve been the final series for Ash goal wise and then the entirety of journeys is about exploring old characters in full before dropping the curtain?

Like the 11 episode epilogue but as an actual series?

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
Honestly yeah I’m starting to feel this way too. If we knew from the jump that Journeys was gonna be Ashs last series as the MC, then future cameos or not, Journeys shouldn’t have had the spotlight split. It should’ve been focused on mainly Ash and went full circle a lot more on a bunch of other stuff from the past to close it out. And more unpredictability too (Leon vs Ash is fantastic but the entirety of the Masters 8 felt way too artificially set up in Ashs favor to the point where everything was predictable and expected outside of, at best, 2 battles).

If anything, Dawns probably more worthy of the “final girl companion” spot for Journeys instead of Koharu (not counting Misty’s role in the 11 upcoming episodes) given how much she showed up, her consistently being in the final opening without being swapped out and her being the only pokegirl who showed up in person to watch Ash become world champion.
Then again, Ash and Iris had the most adorable interactions in the PWT (except for the fail of Ash not giving her a hug :c)

Gingertail24

It’s so sad that they tried to sell that they were co protagonists only to have Ash vs Leon to be a four parter right after a three parter and PM got two episodes.
Exactly. I would be forgiving if Project mew was at least really good, but no it had a pretty bad conclusion. What's worse it was overshadowed by the paldea shorts

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
And it sucks that they ended the anime with ANOTHER female companion that doesn't battle. Since BW sheesh

So yeah
Plenty of women battled in BW (Iris, Bianca, Carbernet, Langley, Dawn), XY had Korrina, and in SM, Lana battled a few times and Lillie had started to. Koharu was starting to battle since Wanpachi showed a strong interest too before he got shafted. I think it’s more so that Koharu wasn’t given enough focus more than anything else. And we still had Saito to make up for it despite her few appearances.

Gingertail24

Plenty of women battled in BW (Iris, Bianca, Carbernet, Langley, Dawn), XY had Korrina, and in SM, Lana battled a few times and Lillie had started to. Koharu was starting to battle since Wanpachi showed a strong interest too before he got shafted. I think it’s more so that Koharu wasn’t given enough focus more than anything else. And we still had Saito to make up for it despite her few appearances.
No I'm talking main female battling companion. Like dawn and iris. I'm not saying no female ever battled since BW. Lana and Lillie battling one in a blue moon doesn't count. If they battled enough like dawn or even kiawe sure, but they didn't. They were relegated to holding their mons on their hands all times

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think he meant how the Champion of Unova was technically the last female battling companion. After that it really was just XY putting a curse on the series and successors. It’s pretty sad but the new main character looks promising.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Actually I’m fine with them as ash last companion

Ash and Goh are best buddies, and Chloe is fine to , I just dislike how they developed , I don’t see how people still questioning Chloe and Ash Friendship , cause pretty much when dawn episode happen Chloe and Dawn mention ash characteristic as friend , she pretty much show up in his final match , they just dawn - Brock level not Clemont - Serena Level

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

Ash and Goh are best buddies, and Chloe is fine to , I just dislike how they developed , I don’t see how people still questioning Chloe and Ash Friendship , cause pretty much when dawn episode happen Chloe and Dawn mention ash characteristic as friend , she pretty much show up in his final match , they just dawn - Brock level not Clemont - Serena Level
I mean, Dawn barely interacted with Brock and she mentioned him in her return episode back in BW lol!

Gingertail24

No one is denying that they are friends. Just that their relationship is pretty weak

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I don’t think they’re great companions, but i also don’t think them having the ‘last’ companion tittle means much. So meh?

No. Simply because Ash's last series should've been about Ash. Worst time ever to artificially add an "equal" protagonist. Make use of the world you created to conclude the story and not wait until the last 11 episodes. Past companions and reserves were always the way to go.

This sums it up really. Forcing an ‘equal’ relationship in a series that ends ash’s journey was never going to work, if anything it’s the absolute worst time to do it. The weight of the character’s achievement was never going to be the same. We saw how nobody cared about project mew compared to the M8. 3 years were never going to match up with 25 years of baggage.

The series that would most likely work the best with this kind of concept is when there’s a reset like BW.

Sham

The Guardian of War
And her ending sucked I'm sorry. Imo one of the worst female "companions" we had. Which absolutely sucks since female representation was needed in JN. And it sucks that they ended the anime with ANOTHER female companion that doesn't battle. Since BW sheesh. So yeah
They really dropped the ball with this one. It's like they kept her from battling at any means necessary despite "exploring different options". Ash's two friends are a Champion and strong Gym Leader. One who's collected all the badges and another who hands them out. Are you telling me one of them couldn't have at least given her a perspective of a Gym quest? Instead we got Contest bait from two different characters

KukuiFanatic501

They really dropped the ball with this one. It's like they kept her from battling at any means necessary despite "exploring different options". Ash's two friends are a Champion and strong Gym Leader. One who's collected all the badges and another who hands them out. Are you telling me one of them couldn't have at least given her a perspective of a Gym quest? Instead we got Contest bait from two different characters
Hence why I think it would’ve been good and easier if Koharu was set up to be the next protagonist after Ash.

Depending on what they want to do with Riko, if they wanted someone who was inspired by Ash to go on her own Journey, Koharu would’ve fit that description nicely and it would’ve given her the desperately needed character development she needed to get. Plus, with Eevee.