• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you content with Chloe and Goh technically being his final canon companions?

Kameinu

Arooo!
They where fine. Underwhelming and badly written for the most part, but they had good premises, maybe better than others that came before. They just got screwed.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Hence why I think it would’ve been good and easier if Koharu was set up to be the next protagonist after Ash.

Depending on what they want to do with Riko, if they wanted someone who was inspired by Ash to go on her own Journey, Koharu would’ve fit that description nicely and it would’ve given her the desperately needed character development she needed to get. Plus, with Eevee.
Bingo. How in the world do you have two characters who are actively involved in the Pokémon League but let two characters introduce Contests to her back to back only for her to do nothing related to it? I would've been okay with her replacing him if she expressed interests in Gym's instead of forcing another Eevee into the series, they could have just used hers

Even Cynthia could've had a chat with her during the special

Hopefully they don't force in Riko having a Eevee. This is the first time a female companion (well on screen) is challenging Gyms so hopefully they don't mess it up if true.

Last edited:

Gingertail24

Bingo. How in the world do you have two characters who are actively involved in the Pokémon League but let two characters introduce Contests to her back to back only for her to do nothing related to it? I would've been okay with her replacing him if she expressed interests in Gym's instead of forcing another Eevee into the series, they could have just used hers

Even Cynthia could've had a chat with her during the special

Hopefully they don't force in Riko having a Eevee. This is the first time a female companion (well on screen) is challenging Gyms so hopefully they don't mess it up if true.
I genuinely thought koharu seeing Ash battle with Leon was gonna inspire her. It sucks because evee had copycat, which is such a versatile move to have I'm battles.

But no, her making flower arrangement with leafeon and going to the circus was more important. Two episodes where she really didnt contribute much at all

KukuiFanatic501

I genuinely thought koharu seeing Ash battle with Leon was gonna inspire her. It sucks because evee had copycat, which is such a versatile move to have I'm battles.

But no, her making flower arrangement with leafeon and going to the circus was more important. Two episodes where she really didnt contribute much at all
Same. She was the only pokegirl outside of Dawn who showed up in person to see the damn battle with her own eyes. And without Goh too. Why go all the way there to see it happen when it wouldn’t have had any meaningful effect on you?

It would’ve been such a full circle moment to take someone who was normal and didn’t even like Pokémon at first to then want to try doing something with herself after seeing Ash accomplish such an amazing feat he set himself out to complete. Koharu had the perfect set up to be a protagonist next series or even a main one (depending on what they want to do with Riko, the same could’ve been done with Koharu), but they just really dropped the bomb with her and in the worst way possible.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
The question though is why does Goh make people seethe?

What pissed me off the most about Goh was him getting shoved into Ash’s PWC matches pre-Ultra Class. Him being present was fine but they dedicated so much screentime to Goh during a battle-focused episode for Ash. If the problem was filling in time due to the battles being 2 VS 2 at best, why didn’t they just make them 3 VS 3? It made it seem like the writers just remembered that 3 VS 3 existed so they made the Ultra Class Battles 3 on 3(which blows my mind why Marnie & Drasna was handled the way they were).

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
What pissed me off the most about Goh was him getting shoved into Ash’s PWC matches pre-Ultra Class. Him being present was fine but they dedicated so much screentime to Goh during a battle-focused episode for Ash. If the problem was filling in time due to the battles being 2 VS 2 at best, why didn’t they just make them 3 VS 3? It made it seem like the writers just remembered that 3 VS 3 existed so they made the Ultra Class Battles 3 on 3(which blows my mind why Marnie & Drasna was handled the way they were).

I'd say Goh's captures were used on those as a cheap excuse to not having to animate more battles for Ash.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Here's my ultimate answer:

"Bleh."

Here's the answer that should have been:

Dawn was the last good companion who was an equal to Ash and wasn't trying to devalue him...which she doesn't deserve that honor anymore after Journeys did her super dirty. By default, it's either May or Misty, but neither appeared, so...

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
Here's my ultimate answer:

"Bleh."

Here's the answer that should have been:

Dawn was the last good companion who was an equal to Ash and wasn't trying to devalue him...which she doesn't deserve that honor anymore after Journeys did her super dirty. By default, it's either May or Misty, but neither appeared, so...
Fortunately Iris got the best treatment saved for her.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Not in the least. Go was inconsistent in his character and quite the controversial character whose goal possibly gave the worst showing of Pokémon out of any character that the series has ever had as Ash’s co-star and especially jarring following how Pokémon were treated in SM.

And meanwhile the writers basically made Koharu’s involvement in the series so minimal that the female aspect of the group was almost nonexistent despite being a constant since the beginning of the series, which genuinely has me questioning what the writers were thinking on a conceptual level. The whole thing is basically summed up in the final opening in which, after the previous openings steadily brought Koharu into the adventure, this one flat out features Ash and Go going off on an adventure leaving Koharu at home and doesn’t even feature her with them in its panning shot, instead putting her on her own. It also doesn’t help that all they really used her for was a vehicle to advertise Eevee’s evolutions to the degree that she wasn’t even allowed to catch any other Pokémon despite both Yamper and Galarian Ponyta being Pokémon she was teased with.

All in all, the fact that this is the final group Ash would have in a full series leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Gingertail24

Chloe Timeline:

1) Was extremely indifferent about Pokemon, despite the fact even her whole family was into them and her own dad was a(n anime-only) professor.

2) Her own school friends assumed she liked Pokemon because her father was a researcher into them. She was all "hmm..." about it.

3) She started to become more endearing because she was connecting with her family's Yamper as if she actually owned it. It's thanks to her family (and the two male protagonists I guess) that she was starting to search for something.

Everything up until that point was very good with her. She was actually eclipsing Ash and Goh because at least she was struggling in a goal that wasn't tied to contests or fighting, so it was bona fide pure character development (that Ash and Goh lacked themselves, as their character development was just getting awards). I said this before that she was basically a discount version of Sonia because of all the similarities she had with her, but still, she was the best thing the saga had...

At least...

Until...

It came along...:

4) A random not-evolving Eevee from a nearby institute befriends her, indirectly pushing Yamper aside to the Shadow Realm, utterly derails her independence to look for something for herself by becoming a full-time Eevee cab taxi driver to solve its anti-evolution issues (let's see, she met a despondent "bullied" classmate with a Glaceon, two circus performers who evolved their Eevee all wrong into Jolteon and Flareon, Erika the background Leafeon character (the episode wasn't even about Chloe), that surfer dude's Vaporeon, her own Dawn-like copycat princess from Johto with Espeon and Umbreon (little rant here, but they could have made Sakura return with her Espeon), and lastly performance-to-contest girl Serena and her Sylveon...was all this a "try everything" thing for Chloe, because some of the things are things she can't possibly do or wouldn't be caught dead doing despite trying them for a bit), and she never once meets a single person who didn't have an Eeveelution for a partner (out of sheer coincidence every time). Every new thing (except for the rare Galarian Ponyta episode) absolutely needed someone to have an Eevee. Otherwise, it wasn't a "Chloe" episode anymore (or else she was just a third wheel available for hi-jinks).

5) Her long road meeting too many Eevee people ends with Lana, who tells her that her own Eevee is fine as is, driving the whole anti-evolution point moot as Chloe's Eevee chooses to be a marketing ploy an Eevee (can't have Pikachu without Eevee at this peak in the franchise! As Lana's already proved). C'mon, girl. Espeon is the best Eevee. Everyone knows that.

6) The whole "look for something you want" ends with her ironically wanting to be like her dad while also vaguely leaving a future as a contest girl anyway. Her dad was disconnected from all the Eevee episodes but was just around mostly for a mission control-like role for the boys.

Things went down for her when she was forced an Eevee and then the universe proceeded to put her on an Eevee trail. It's like she was incapable of connecting with people unless they had an Eevee, so she looked indirectly dependent on her goal-seeking. She wasn't actively seeking something, but rather, everything just conveniently fell into her lap...Eevee's lap, that is. Or, let her own Yamper. Suddenly, her episodes wouldn't certainly revolve around more Yamper or even dogs.

(If the writers had the forethought of making Serena earn Eevee much earlier (they admitted they didn't think Sylveon would get so popular before Serena got hers, you'd bet it'd be more important than even her own starter and we'd suddenly see all the other Eevee show up across Kalos. And we all know Lana's Eevee was more of a strange afterthought because of Let's Go.)

I wouldn't even call Chloe a Pokegirl. She was barely around. In fact, why not have her around at all times, even with her Eevee. At least she wouldn't really be too dependent on having episodes all about Eevee.
Honestly what bothered me about the Lana thing is that dawn legit told her first about evee just staying the way it is like piplup. So her being there was ultimately pointless. Heck even Ash, you know the character whose partner main point is that he refused to evolve and was literally RIGHT THERE, could of talked to her about jt