• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you currently replaying any of the older Pokemon games?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
If so - which ones? How is it? How does it feel compared to playing the newest titles - SWSH?
Im currently replaying ORAS and replayed X 2 weeks ago. Its very nice. There is alot more to explore and see compared to SWSH.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Been playing Platinum lately, in the middle of soft resetting for a shiny Turtwig.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I've currently set myself the goal of playing through every generation of Pokemon games (rather than every region) starting with Red and ending with Sword/Shield. The only game left for me to get is Crystal for Gen II but then I'll be ready to go! The plan is as follows:

- Red
- Crystal
- Sapphire -> LeafGreen
- Platinum -> HeartGold
- White or White 2 (maybe both)
- Y -> Alpha Sapphire
- Ultra Sun -> Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu
- Sword / Shield

I don't know how far I'll get since I am in my final year of university so I'm expecting to be reasonably busy despite Covid-19 being around, but we will see! I'm quite excited for HeartGold in particular since I want to transfer my Sapphire and LeafGreen team to Platinum and trade those teams + the Platinum one to HeartGold to clear the Kanto side of the games and nab them all some Johto + Sinnoh Champion experience alongside their respective regions. I'm getting back into my art as well so I'll be drawing my teams as I go (may be a bit delayed due to Inktober) and I am very tempted to buy the plushies for my Gen I & II teams since Kanto/Johto plushies are reasonably cheap on Amazon?

To actually answer the question though - I beat White's main story a month ago which was kinda funky? There's much more of a proactive story than the Switch games (still irks me a bit how you're just sent away from any issues in Galar until right at the end) and I miss having an Exp. Share I can give to a Pokemon or just not use? But it's cool.

Phillies

I am currently playing the virtual console version of Crystal with the goal of beating the game and soft resetting for a shiny Celebi. Afterwards I will be breeding for shiny Pokemon since there are a number of Gen 1 & 2 shinies that I am missing.

I do wish that Nintendo would have gotten around to releasing the Gen 3 games on the virtual console since I never owned a Gameboy Advanced and never got a chance to play any of those games.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Currently on Platinum. I restarted Sword but I don’t have the motivation to complete the game. Platinum > SwSh

I tend to play every (core) game except for Gen 3, only because I lack a GBA but I do have ORAS so that suffices. I would like to acquire X and/or Y as I lack those. I’m pretty keen to play them again, with a team of Pokes I’ve never used.

Only core games I avoid are SM/USUM.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Yes. I've been trying to fill my NatDex on my Emerald. I'm also going to try and replay Sapphire

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
Since I skipped the Gen 5 games, I've been playing through Black 2 for the first time and it's a lot better than I expected. For one, despite me fighting every Wild Pokémon and Trainer that I encountered and getting every item, I did not end up over-levelled, and the game was still quite challenging. The battle with Ghetsis, with both of us having around equally levelled teams of six ended up with my last Pokémon on low health. I wasn't using the best Pokémon possible and I was in Set Mode but that type of challenge is something that I felt has been missing from Pokémon games recently. Even in Sword and Shield, where I specifically tried to make it more challenging by training a team of 11 to be equally levelled rather than a team of 6 I still beat Leon first try.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Do you mean making a new file on the older games, or just generally playing the older games? If so, I've played Platinum, SoulSilver, Black, Black 2, X, Omega Ruby and Sun all in the last five years. I haven't yet played US/UM, and I haven't played Let's Go or Sw/Sh since I don't have a Switch.

I do wish that Nintendo would have gotten around to releasing the Gen 3 games on the virtual console since I never owned a Gameboy Advanced and never got a chance to play any of those games.

I think they might re-release them on the Switch if it ever gets a Virtual Console function. Unless it already has one.

I've been replaying FireRed and Emerald recently, although only for about 30 minutes per day. I'm mostly breeding some Pokemon and not spending too much time on anything serious in those games.

I never played FR/LG when they first came out, as I was already playing Ruby at that point, and I was also kind of falling out of Pokémon. I came back to it with Black, though.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yeah I’m playing through a Platinum Nuzlocke with a group of friends with a side “project” of either FRLG or HGSS (still haven’t decided) with their respective Grass Type starters starting soon as I want to complete every game with every starter.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I never make new files on games I've already beaten. It just feels like deleting all that hard work I've put into it, and deleting a team with who I have good memories of battling with.

For those of you who do decide to start over, do you trade your old team over to other games?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I never make new files on games I've already beaten. It just feels like deleting all that hard work I've put into it, and deleting a team with who I have good memories of battling with.

For those of you who do decide to start over, do you trade your old team over to other games?
Yup. The only game I haven't started over is my Diamond and Platinum saves due to being so close to maxing out the time. I either trade them to their opposite version (like Sun to Moon) or send them up to USUM (will eventually get through Bank and Home)

Rodpaco

Last year, I've played through Red, Yellow, Gold, Alpha Sapphire, and X (from start to Elite Four). Each time with the same two restrictions/goals:
1) Catching 100 pokémon before challenging the Elite Four.
2) No legendaries allowed in my team to beat the Elite Four.

It was especially challenging in Red (Yellow was easier because you had the 3 starters). I've played through the gen 1 games dozens of times at this point, and I think that's the first time I managed to beat the Elite 4 without using any of the legendary birds.

This year, I wanted to complete the Platinum national dex. So before that, I've replayed other games: FireRed, Emerald, and HeartGold. All with the same restrictions as the previous ones, in order to catch as many pokémon as possible and build strong teams.
Started replaying Platinum in the last few days.

Will probably also replay Crystal, Diamond/Pearl, and White at some point.

Haven't played the gen 7 games, so I can only contrast with gen 6 (Alpha Sapphire & X). I'd say that the main differences are:
- The graphics. Of course much better in gen 6, I love the 3D pokémon, the battles, and the level of detail in places such as Lumiose City.
- The difficulty. Gen 1 to 4 games are way more challenging (can't speak for gen 5, though, as I've only played through White once and don't remember much of it).

Yes. I've done it dozens of times with FireRed & Emerald by transferring my teams to the gen 4 games. In Pearl I have a PC box with quite a few Charizards xD

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Last year, I've played through Red, Yellow, Gold, Alpha Sapphire, and X (from start to Elite Four). Each time with the same two restrictions/goals:
1) Catching 100 pokémon before challenging the Elite Four.
2) No legendaries allowed in my team to beat the Elite Four.

It was especially challenging in Red (Yellow was easier because you had the 3 starters). I've played through the gen 1 games dozens of times at this point, and I think that's the first time I managed to beat the Elite 4 without using any of the legendary birds.

This year, I wanted to complete the Platinum national dex. So before that, I've replayed other games: FireRed, Emerald, and HeartGold. All with the same restrictions as the previous ones, in order to catch as many pokémon as possible and build strong teams.
Started replaying Platinum in the last few days.

Will probably also replay Crystal, Diamond/Pearl, and White at some point.

Haven't played the gen 7 games, so I can only contrast with gen 6 (Alpha Sapphire & X). I'd say that the main differences are:
- The graphics. Of course much better in gen 6, I love the 3D pokémon, the battles, and the level of detail in places such as Lumiose City.
- The difficulty. Gen 1 to 4 games are way more challenging (can't speak for gen 5, though, as I've only played through White once and don't remember much of it).

Yes. I've done it dozens of times with FireRed & Emerald by transferring my teams to the gen 4 games. In Pearl I have a PC box with quite a few Charizards xD
Sounds interesting, thankyou=]