• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are You Disapointed With All The Focus On Go Lately?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I miss contest and gym leaders. Traveling by foot from location and not having tr have random Pokémon to battle but this is something new they are trying
Everyone’s tired of Badge quests but I’d much rather take one than what we have now tbh.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I think that we need a new thread - "Are you disapointed with the lack of focus on Koharu?"

I think more appropriate would be "Are you disappointed Chloe isn't a main character like Ash and Goh" because as a side character Chloe does get great focus, it's just considering the potential she has as being unique compared to other pokegirls is wasted by not having her in a leading role, though they may make her join ash and goh more in the second and third years I don't see her becoming a main character

desdar300

The series is really ambitious for premise but I don't think that they stuck The Landing not even once.
And depending on what generation 9 is this could prematurely screw over whatever they're hoping to do in the long term given this generation is the average 3 years.​

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
The series is really ambitious for premise but I don't think that they stuck The Landing not even once.
And depending on what generation 9 is this could prematurely screw over whatever they're hoping to do in the long term given this generation is the average 3 years.​
That and the virus put everything on hold for the Months,so it is probably killing a few plot plan in a place.

Redstar45

Actually aside from the movie being delayed from July to December, the main anime was only on hiatus from the last week of April to the end of May, so the anime isn’t really that far behind on things.
I see, but it could change few thing about show for batter or worse.

Leonhart

Imagineer
aipomadvanceshipper said:
I miss contest and gym leaders. Traveling by foot from location and not having tr have random Pokémon to battle but this is something new they are trying

I miss the Gym badge quest subplot too, but I doubt that it would've changed how people feel about Gou even if this series had involved a much more linear and predictable story line. If anything, it probably would've caused more problems especially if Gou's capture sprees had gotten in the way of Satoshi's Gym battles.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Let's be honest the only reason they did this world BS was for Goh's goal lol. Most of Ash's battles have been in Kanto so it wasn't for him.

Honestly if Goh just battled he'd be way more likable like he just does nothing outside of catching stuff. He's a glorified bottle cap collector at this point.

Sidagam

I don't think I could have handled another 3 year Gym quest with Ash almost certainly losing the league at the end of it. And I wouldn't want to wait 3 years to find out if he did it or not. And and I feel if this was completely Galar focussed, Gohs goal would make a lot less sense and be much more annoying. It works because they have a base and can travel anywhere.

Redstar45

I don't think I could have handled another 3 year Gym quest with Ash almost certainly losing the league at the end of it. And I wouldn't want to wait 3 years to find out if he did it or not. And and I feel if this was completely Galar focussed, Gohs goal would make a lot less sense and be much more annoying. It works because they have a base and can travel anywhere.
At same time no plot for story or actual character growth .

ShadowForce720

I see, but it could change few thing about show for batter or worse.

In all honesty any changes that may have occurred would likely not be as noticeable, and given the current anime’s format it’s most likely more flexible then past series.

I mean even if there were changes we don’t really have any way to know that there were changes unless the writers themselves come out and mention it or we see something like a plot element suddenly drop.

I mean heck only losing about 6 weeks likely wouldn’t cause massive changes. So could there be changes yes? However if any changes do occur we will probably never know what they were so we wouldn’t really be able to say if there good or bad.

Actually that isn’t true as there have been some plot elements introduce and there has been some actual character growth.

Redstar45

In all honesty any changes that may have occurred would likely not be as noticeable, and given the current anime’s format it’s most likely more flexible then past series.

I mean even if there were changes we don’t really have any way to know that there were changes unless the writers themselves come out and mention it or we see something like a plot element suddenly drop.

I mean heck only losing about 6 weeks likely wouldn’t cause massive changes. So could there be changes yes? However if any changes do occur we will probably never know what they were so we wouldn’t really be able to say if there good or bad.

Actually that isn’t true as there have been some plot elements introduce and there has been some actual character growth.
Maybe , i am bit wearly of this arc .

Sidagam

We must be watching different shows then. Goh has had plenty of plot and character growth thrown his way in just 32 eps, and I expect a lot more.

Also Ash is competing in a World Championship, he's about to lose his first battle, he's training a baby Pokemon to be his probable ace, and they're about to start the darkest day plot. That's a fair amount of plot

Redstar45

We must be watching different shows then. Goh has had plenty of plot and character growth thrown his way in just 32 eps, and I expect a lot more.

Also Ash is competing in a World Championship, he's about to lose his first battle, he's training a baby Pokemon to be his probable ace, and they're about to start the darkest day plot. That's a fair amount of plot
A slowet one for growth and could be a one episode for Darkest day arc.

Lunanight

I think more appropriate would be "Are you disappointed Chloe isn't a main character like Ash and Goh" because as a side character Chloe does get great focus, it's just considering the potential she has as being unique compared to other pokegirls is wasted by not having her in a leading role, though they may make her join ash and goh more in the second and third years I don't see her becoming a main character

The thing about Koharu is that she was never once stated to be a companion like the other so-called Pokegirls. This series was marketed with Ash and Go as co-protagonists, and to be blunt, half the people complaining about Go wouldn't be doing so if he were a girl with his exact same role and personality. Truthfully, the idea that Ash can travel without having the token Pokegirl (or "eyecandy", in the old words of Hidaka) isn't something many will easily accept. Early on when it was clear Journeys would be just about Ash and Go as co-protagonists, there was disappointment that Koharu wasn't in the group because they were so accustomed to the Pokegirl. At one point, there was a desperate hope that Go was a tomboy Pokegirl.

Don't get me wrong, Go is effectively a Pokemon Go shill. I agree with many people who say he really needs to battle more, but that didn't stop Serena and the SM Pokegirls from being as popular as they were—especially in the case of Serena. In fact, I've got a very simple take: I think Koharu would be a worse character if she were a main character than how she is right now. Why? Because she would be downgraded from 'unique side-character' to just being yet another Pokegirl whose goal would make her a vastly inferior Gary Oak.

The reason Go feels like he's taking up focus from Ash is because the companions were effectively irrelevant in BW, XY, and SM. Dawn was the last companion who actually had lots of focus with her contests, unlike subsequent companions who got far less focus than either Dawn or May. Go's goal can take place wherever and whenever the writers feel like (unlike Dawn needing a minimum of 5 contests plus the Grand Festival). This gives the illusion that Go is more developed than he actually is, and since its still relatively early into the series, I don't think he'll do much for a while outside catching stuff—Serena took like 40+ episodes to decide on her goal, and even May didn't decide to be a coordinator immediately.

TL;DR: Koharu doesn't need to be a main character. IMO, the fact that Koharu isn't a companion and goes to a regular school is what makes her interesting in the first place compared to most of Ash's actual companions. Its been like a decade since any companion was as involved as Go, and that the sort of companion focus I've wanted since DP, instead of just being Ash and at least 2 other bland companions.

Last edited:

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Surprised this thread is still here. I'm thankful that this forum is far more civilized than Bulbagarden when it comes to the topic of Gou.

Also on the Topic of Chloe, I don't think she should be in the Main cast.

What exactly can they do with her?

Ash is doing Battles. And Gou's Catching Pokémon (even so people complain about his goal being badly executed)

They dropped Contests and Showcases.

There's really not much for Chloe other than stand around

So yeah I'm kinda glad she's not a Main. She really doesn't need to be

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The thing about Koharu is that she was never once stated to be a companion like the other so-called Pokegirls. This series was marketed with Ash and Go as co-protagonists, and to be blunt, half the people complaining about Go wouldn't be doing so if he were a girl with his exact same role and personality. Truthfully, the idea that Ash can travel without having the token Pokegirl (or "eyecandy", in the old words of Hidaka) isn't something many will easily accept. Early on when it was clear Journeys would be just about Ash and Go as co-protagonists, there was disappointment that Koharu wasn't in the group because they were so accustomed to the Pokegirl. At one point, there was a desperate hope that Go was a tomboy Pokegirl.

Don't get me wrong, Go is effectively a Pokemon Go shill. I agree with many people who say he really needs to battle more, but that didn't stop Serena and the SM Pokegirls from being as popular as they were—especially in the case of Serena. In fact, I've got a very simple take: I think Koharu would be a worse character if she were a main character than how she is right now. Why? Because she would be downgraded from 'unique side-character' to just being yet another Pokegirl whose goal would make her a vastly inferior Gary Oak.

The reason Go feels like he's taking up focus from Ash is because the companions were effectively irrelevant in BW, XY, and SM. Dawn was the last companion who actually had lots of focus with her contests, unlike subsequent companions who got far less focus than either Dawn or May. Go's goal can take place wherever and whenever the writers feel like (unlike Dawn needing a minimum of 5 contests plus the Grand Festival). This gives the illusion that Go is more developed than he actually is, and since its still relatively early into the series, I don't think he'll do much for a while outside catching stuff—Serena took like 40+ episodes to decide on her goal, and even May didn't decide to be a coordinator immediately.

TL;DR: Koharu doesn't need to be a main character. IMO, the fact that Koharu isn't a companion and goes to a regular school is what makes her interesting in the first place compared to most of Ash's actual companions. Its been like a decade since any companion was as involved as Go, and that the sort of companion focus I've wanted since DP, instead of just being Ash and at least 2 other bland companions.

You do have a good point there. It is nice to see someone else with as much, if not more focus than dawn again. I guess I'll wait till how Chloe's arc plays out, the writers definitely are building up a story arc for her

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I kinda like that she's not main character. In SM we had the most MCs aka 6( not counting Pokemon and Trio) and now we have least MCs aka 2( same not counting Raboot and Pikachu and Trio). But in next series, I hope we go back to 3, like 1 older person ,Ash and a girl.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
to be blunt, half the people complaining about Go wouldn't be doing so if he were a girl with his exact same role and personality. Truthfully, the idea that Ash can travel without having the token Pokegirl (or "eyecandy", in the old words of Hidaka) isn't something many will easily accept. Early on when it was clear Journeys would be just about Ash and Go as co-protagonists, there was disappointment that Koharu wasn't in the group because they were so accustomed to the Pokegirl. At one point, there was a desperate hope that Go was a tomboy Pokegirl.

THIS. So much this.

Where do I sign? I've noticed the same myself, @Lunanight

Also on the Topic of Chloe, I don't think she should be in the Main cast.

What exactly can they do with her?

Ash is doing Battles. And Gou's Catching Pokémon (even so people complain about his goal being badly executed)

They dropped Contests and Showcases.

There's really not much for Chloe other than stand around

So yeah I'm kinda glad she's not a Main. She really doesn't need to be

If we do get a new girl after the change of generations, she'll either do the new sidequest or they'll reporpose showcases. Having a character to display the cutesy of pokémon as well as using the cute, plushables ones would be a good asset