• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you disappointed that the writers waited so long to evolve Chimchar?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
You know if Movie 12 didn't confirm Monferno, I would have been convinced at this point that Chimchar wasn't evolving at all.

Is anyone else really disappointed that they waited until after the 7th Gym to evolve it? Both Byron and Candice were Gyms that Chimchar is super-effective against, and either of them would have made good evolution era's for Chimchar, either before or during the match.

Now there is only one Gym left, Sunyshore, one in which Monferno may not even participate in. Sure, it'll have the league matches, but other than that they really saved it for the tail-end.

Overall I am pretty disappointed, I would have loved seeing more Monferno in action than Chimchar, but now it will be the other way around. God knows if we'll ever get Infernape now.

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
Actually, yes I am. I really wanted to see a middle form strut its stuff before/if it evolved into its final form. But I guess this balances out how Combusken, Grovlye stayed in their middle forms for a long time and Marshstomp stayed in its middle form, so Turtwig took longer to get to Grotle, and Chimchar is taking forever to get to Monferno.

So I'm guessing Infernape will do a lot of stuff in the arc after Sinnoh (compared to Sceptile and Blaziken anyway), that's something a fully evolved starter never had: being fully evolved and on a team for an entire journey (sans Charizard).

BM14murph

Master Collector
Meh i kinda suppose so

it would have been good to see the middle form for a good while until we saw the last form

that's assuming they will evolve him again of course but i doubt monferno will get as much time as chimchar did

Squaaah

God yes! When Ash first got Chimchar I expected it to be Monferno in Blazing Chimchar, and that we'd have Infernape just before the league. Then there was all the stuff with that figure, which happened to be the only one that was so inaccurate. Now we've had Definate confirmation and I'm still doubting it will ever evolve. I've basically given up on Infernape before the league now.

Isis-sama

To be frank, yes. I was expecting it to evolve around the Iron Island arc. I thought that would be decent pacing, not the best but after all they would want to advertise the base form. Then when it didn't, I thought for sure it would evolve before Ash's battle with Candice.

The fact that it hasn't evolved yet is just poor pacing, especially since after Ash caught it it hung around for about 30 episodes without doing anything. I agree with the person who said that if it wasn't confirmed to be on Ash's team for the next movie, I'd think it wasn't going to evolve at this point.

Adz

Poke Knight
In simple I think the main reason that Chimchar is still well....chimchar is because of its situation. It still kindof has to prove itself to Paul that its a strong pokemon that can control Blaze. Even though Ash has said it doesnt need Blaze to win i think its important that we see Chimchars real strength harnessinng Blaze then evolving shortly after or while harnessing the Blaze. It has been a while since Paul's last appearance and that was to show off Turtwig evolving. The fact that there is not too long left either before the movie is also a little off putting. But I feel it will go either two ways. We will see Monferno over the next 2/3 weeks now that Pauls around and Rejii there too! OR we will see the arrival of Monferno an episode or two before the movie (Like Swinub/Gliscor)!

Meganium

Yes, he needs to evolve as soon as possible because he evolves so early in the games. Monferno may deviate from Ash's usual "pure type" but he would kick so much arse if he did evolve. Hopefully his evolution will be after a battle and the episode focuses on him learning fighting techniques.

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
Yeah, I was hoping for a Monferno by Iron Island-Snowpoint. The writers have done all they can for CHimchar so I'm glad Monferno will be around by the 12th movie.

BlueVapor

The writers had so many great opportunites to evovle Chimchar but it still hasn't happened. It's quite the bummer. Originally I thought/wanted Chimchar to evolve all the way before the saga was over, but that obviously won't happen unless the writers do what they with Charizard, in which case I'd rather it just be Monferno.
But hey, I shouldn't be complaning, at least we're getting Monferno :p

Giki

loving chimchar line
i am yes!!!
but grovyle and combusken stayed too long in ther mid evo's so maybe chimchar took so long in his first evo it wil take only a few episodes for him to go too monferno and then infernape

it could i dont say in is gonna happen i am convicent that it wont happen but it could would be cool though

milenadrg

YES, I am. I mean it took too long time as little Monkey, I am sometimes disappointed it's going to evolove! They could evolove it somewhere before battle with Byron...
Now if Monferno evoloves into Infernape too early, there wouldn't be chances for it to shine as Monferno and if it evoloves into Infernape AFTER Volkner's Gym battle, it couldn't have chances to shine as Infernape... I will be wery disappointed if Ash uses Monferno at the league... :(

Torpoleon

I am kind og sad it hasn't evolved yet. It may evolve a week before the movie airs thoug. It most likely will be like Sceptile and Treecko even evolved earlier than Chimchar will!

BirdStaraptor

Sinnoh Master
It depends on what the writer is planning.
If he is planing to give Ash Infernape, Chimchar should have already evolved. Monferno deserves to stay in the show as long as possible.

dman_dustin

Am I disappointed? Yes, simply because Chimchar has proven itself time after time. Against Fantina knocking out two of her strongest Pokemon, Byron knocking out his first two and dealing a flamethrower to Bastiodon for Gliscor to win. And now knocking out 2 of Candice's Pokemon one of course being her strongest.

I think the whole pacing involving Chimchar is what caused this unfairness to Chimchar. I mean it took until DP 52 before Ash was able to obtain Chimchar. And even though Chimchar has appeared since DP003 Chimchar has been owned by Ash 50 episodes less. One of the things I hate, is that Chimchar be suggested to evolve in the Blaze episode, the problem is that took place before Fantina and Chimchar didn't do anything value up to that point (Not to mention Ash only had Chimchar for a about 29 episode and at the time Chimchar was "weak" and even so Chimchar (when owned by Ash) will actually evolve in the shortest-longest duration. Since it'll approximately be 82 or so episodes while Turtwig took 95 and Staraptor took 105.

See I really blame the fact it took so long for Ash to bond with Chimchar when Paul had it. I guess though at this point in time you can't argue that Chimchar is weak, with 6 gym battle wins, Chimchar is Ash's strongest Sinnoh Pokemon, I just wish that didn't make Ash's other Pokemon pathetic.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
One of the things I hate, is that Chimchar be suggested to evolve in the Blaze episode, the problem is that took place before Fantina and Chimchar didn't do anything value up to that point (Not to mention Ash only had Chimchar for a about 29 episode and at the time Chimchar was "weak".

One of the main reasons people wanted that to happen is it would've been unique as apposed to evolving against a random pokemon/trainer's pokemon/etc, basically things that had been done in the past, and you can not say that it shouldn't had gone then because look at Gligar at that point, did it do anything to prove it was worthy to evolve? No it didn't but they still let it do so, heck Starly too did it do anything of "value" before becoming Staravia? no it didn't.

The writers could've easily evolved it by that point and moved on but no they choose to keep it as it was, they don't pace evolutions correctly and evolve pokemon when they feel like it, even if it's rushed or not.

thunderblade12

Yeah actually. How many wins does the little ape need before evolving?

It's up to 6 straight gym wins and 2 rival wins. Thats the most any pokemon has ever gotten, ever. Even Pikachu back in Kanto and Johto.

I can't believe there was so many complaints about Buizel, who just barely tied with Lucario, you can almost say Staravia starred against Maylene rather than Buizel, but no one minds Chimchar beating both of Fantina's main pokemon, Byron's two weaker pokemon and Candice's two main pokemon all in a row.

It's official, Chimchar is Ash's main Sinnoh pokemon.

dman_dustin

One of the main reasons people wanted that to happen is it would've been unique as apposed to evolving against a random pokemon/trainer's pokemon/etc, basically things that had been done in the past, and you can not say that it shouldn't had gone then because look at Gligar at that point, did it do anything to prove it was worthy to evolve? No it didn't but they still let it do so, heck Starly too did it do anything of "value" before becoming Staravia? no it didn't.

The writers could've easily evolved it by that point and moved on but no they choose to keep it as it was, they don't pace evolutions correctly and evolve pokemon when they feel like it, even if it's rushed or not.

Chimchar is a starter that belongs to Ash. It deserved the Fantina gym as itself . Besides Monferno being part fighting would most likely change the outcome of Fantina's gym (Monferno use mach punch). Besides replace Monferno with everything Chimchar has done after the blaze episode and we'd have people wishing it evolve into Infernape. It really is disappointed that they opted to do a revers Hoenn. Treecko and Torchic had little screen time but their middle evolutions got long screen time. Don't see why they cant make it even.

I can't believe there was so many complaints about Buizel, who just barely tied with Lucario, you can almost say Staravia starred against Maylene rather than Buizel, but no one minds Chimchar beating both of Fantina's main pokemon, Byron's two weaker pokemon and Candice's two main pokemon all in a row.
I know, right, and I was one of those who argued that Buizel didn't deserve to be hated just because it was in Fantina's gym and Byron's gym. Looking back I'm annoyed that there was even Buizel hate at all. Just makes me think most of the arguers were full of themselves. Because now you can't argue that Buizel received a lot of screen time back then.

Last edited:

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I imagine they waited so long because we're not getting Infernape ... at least not in Sinnoh.

I'm still in the " Ash should have never gotten Chimchar " boat. The poor monkey seems to be under an awful lot of scrutiny no matter how well it does for itself. It appears too much. It doesn't appear enough. Paul's coming, will Ash rub Chimchar's progress in its face? Chimchar should battle Paul. Does Paul even care about Chimchar anymore? It should have evolved already. I predict next it'll be " it evolved too fast " if they decide to go all the way. And so on and so forth.

This far in the season after having the animated debuts of Monferno and Infernape I have to ask myself what the point of Chimchar evolving at all will be. Any individual Pokemon is only as strong as the writers want to make them for any given scenario. Actual stats aren't taken into account. For that reason a Pikachu can down a Regice, or something just as unlikely.

Looking back I'm annoyed that there was even Buizel hate at all.

Might be because no matter how many more wins Chimchar gets Ash will favor Buizel more. Every Trainer plays favorites. It's just that their favorite is not always necessarily their strongest Pokemon. You can kind of feel that there's a strong bond between Ash and Buizel. In comparison Chimchar is usually let out of the ball to do its job and then put back in the ball. Sure Ash treats Chimchar better then Paul in the sense that he doesn't make it battle until it keels over but is there really a connection between the two?