• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you disappointed that the writers waited so long to evolve Chimchar?

Squaaah

Might be because no matter how many more wins Chimchar gets Ash will favor Buizel more. Every Trainer plays favorites. It's just that their favorite is not always necessarily their strongest Pokemon. You can kind of feel that there's a strong bond between Ash and Buizel. In comparison Chimchar is usually let out of the ball to do its job and then put back in the ball. Sure Ash treats Chimchar better then Paul in the sense that he doesn't make it battle until it keels over but is there really a connection between the two?

To be honest, I disagree. At the time it seemed like Ash was favouring Buizel over everyone, but then after Fantina's battle, Chimchar kind of took the shine away, and now Chimchar is Ash's first choice in battle, and in the Rotom episode was left out of its pokeball for a fair bit, whereas Buizel dissapeared after its Byron thrashing, and has only recently been seen agaisnt TR.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Its noticeable how in DP they overexpose some pokemon and ignore others, and later on others get overexposed.

It is pretty funny that Buizel used to be used so much and then they toned down on it. Previously Turtwig also got a lot of screentime before it evolved.

Torpoleon

Its noticeable how in DP they overexpose some pokemon and ignore others, and later on others get overexposed.

It is pretty funny that Buizel used to be used so much and then they toned down on it. Previously Turtwig also got a lot of screentime before it evolved.
Yeah, that's pretty weird. Turtiwg was used inevery gym except the Veilstone Gym and than evolved. Buizel was used in every gym since it was traded to Ash except for the Snowpoint and obviously the Sunyshore Gyms. Now, Chimchar was used in the Veilstone (no wins), Hearthome (beat 2 strongest Pokemon), Canalave (beat 2 weakest Pokemon) and Snowpoint (beat one weak and one strong Pokemon.) Including its time with Paul that adds Oreburgh (beats one weak Pokemon and deals a lot of damage to strongest Pokemon.) Chimchar had better time in the gyms than Buizel or Turtwig.

Buizel: Veilstone (technically no win), Pastoria (beat one weak and one strong Pokemon), Hearthome (beat one weak Pokemon) and Canalave (no wins.)
Turtwig/Grotle: Oreburgh (beat strongest Pokemon both times), Eterna (beat one somewhat strong Pokemon), Pastoria (no wins) and Snowpoint (beat one weak Pokemon.)

That makes Chimchar the strongest Pokemon on Ash's Sinnoh Team so it should evolve to be even stronger and judging from the Movie 12 poster. The writers are taking WAY to long!

dman_dustin

To be honest, I disagree. At the time it seemed like Ash was favouring Buizel over everyone, but then after Fantina's battle, Chimchar kind of took the shine away, and now Chimchar is Ash's first choice in battle, and in the Rotom episode was left out of its pokeball for a fair bit, whereas Buizel dissapeared after its Byron thrashing, and has only recently been seen agaisnt TR.

I'm with Squaaah it is clearly obvious if you kept with the show that after Fantina, Ash has preferred Chimchar. Chimchar is Ash's preferred Pokemon (at the moment). Even against Grotle in the Snover episode, who was Grotle's partner, Chimchar.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, but compared to Buizel, who tied, beat two Pokemon and yet again was going to be in another gym really pales in comparison to Chimchar starting with Fantina and on. So really looking back, Buizel didn't deserve the flak it got, because for one thing tying and winning two Pokemon, really isn't enough to say Buizel was overexposed. I know, I know, maybe at the time it did but still, if we would've remained reserved, we would've realized Buizel was not being overexposed.

Now must of us just want Chimchar to evolve, so we really don't care if it's overexposed, once Chimchar does though....

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
I'm perfectly fine with Chimchar taking so long to evolve. He's the best thing that's ever happened to this show. However, maybe it would be better if Chimchar had evolved earlier. The longer he waits, the harder it will be to let go...

An00bis

Wicked Witch
At the time it seemed like Ash was favouring Buizel over everyone, but then after Fantina's battle, Chimchar kind of took the shine away, and now Chimchar is Ash's first choice in battle, and in the Rotom episode was left out of its pokeball for a fair bit, whereas Buizel dissapeared after its Byron thrashing, and has only recently been seen agaisnt TR.

I think we're using a different definition of " favored ". I kind of meant that Ash would sooner say that Buizel was his bestest buddy over any of his other Sinnoh Pokemon not factoring in merit in battle because let's face it; Buizel is not the hot stuff that everything that he would be when it came to battling due to its personality. He has a strong battling spirit just like Ash's. That doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to be the breadwinner. That's Chimchar, but does Ash love Chimchar as much as Buizel is what I'm saying. Even though he's utilizing him more because its his turn in the rotation of Pokemon to be trained I'm just not convinced he does.

Chimchar had it rough. He was mauled by Zangoose in the wild and captured by an arrogant jerk who nearly killed him. Then he got released after a terrifying experience and caught by his former Trainer's rival. Had a lot of problems to work out and seemed to be on the way with doing that with Ash ... and then nothing happened. The subject was just dropped and Chimchar just became a good trained chimp. Still there's people on pins and needles about how Ash will prove that Chimchar is more then what Paul thought he was. Will it happen? Maybe. Will people be satisfied with the outcome? I doubt it.

The writer's haven't been handling the situation as well as I'd like and it upsets me because putting Chimchar on Ash's Team in the first place not only took up a slot for another Pokemon that could have been potentially good (it could've been a Bidoof for all I cared) but it's also got enough story backing it to warrant it being the star of Ash's Sinnoh Team. It just seems like the writers aren't willing to take it up to that level. Since they're not willing to go all the way with both battling and storytelling it makes Chimchar fall short of what it should be in my eyes and no amount of rushed evolving to Infernape will fix it. Evolving might have made everything better in the Kanto or even the Johto days where Pokemon are more like tools for the Trainers to use but with Sinnoh's improved writing and willingness to flesh out the Pokemon as characters it's just not enough to smooth things over.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Did Toto evovle? No! Did Bizel? No Did Squitle? No! Did Corp...ok that was mostly due too its evolved form being a Team Aqua pokemon. But seriously...

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
[QUOTE but does Ash love Chimchar as much as Buizel is what I'm saying][/QUOTE]

I'm Pretty sure he does, I mean when Buizel gets creamed by Byrons Steelix, Ash just ran up and said are you ok?, When Chimchar got the smackdown layed on it by Saturns Toixcroak he broke into tears.

Will people be satisfied with the outcome?

Are they Ever?

putting Chimchar on Ash's Team in the first place not only took up a slot for another Pokemon that could have been potentially good (it could've been a Bidoof for all I cared) but it's also got enough story backing it to warrant it being the star of Ash's Sinnoh Team.

I gotta Agree to Disagree, Now while I agree the whole Chimchar backstory has kinda faded into the black, but I still think Chimchar is one of the best pokemon on team Sinnoh. Not only has It proved itself in just about every battle, If the writer had given Ash another Sinnoh Poke it more than likely would've ended up like Gliscor

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I bet people are mad still bout te Iron island arc lol

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I get the feeling that when Monferno does come instead of people being happy, people will be saying, "It took them long enough."

I don't know why they put it off for so long. And Monferno may not even be used at Volkner.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Im not that upset Chimchar hasnt evolved yet. I just want to know a good episode for himt to evolve. Plus, I like the little guy. It'll be different when he's going to evolve. And Im sure he's close to evolving (since the movie is in July, and were in the middle of May).

firelovindocker

considering chimchar was probably caught before the saga started ( he appeared in DP 003 ) he should of evolved already
seriously so much harsh training with paul ( who has evolved all his pokemon to the max except magmar and electabuzz)
and then a trade where chimchar would get double EXP point
then so much battle with ash
and we are at DP 127 were chimchar hasn't evolved
yes it's confirmed it'll evolve in a few more eps and i'm more than happy to wait
but you got to admit the writers blew some pretty big oppurtunities to evolve chimchar
but than again that could of been a lead up to his evolution in the coming episodes

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'm Pretty sure he does, I mean when Buizel gets creamed by Byrons Steelix, Ash just ran up and said are you ok?, When Chimchar got the smackdown layed on it by Saturns Toixcroak he broke into tears.

Meh. It seemed more like " Neh. Buizel could take it. " and " OMG poor Chimchar! " to me. Ash may have been more concerned for Chimchar being seriously hurt by an obviously bad person. Tears would have been waisted on Buizel just fainting doing what it always wanted to do.

I gotta Agree to Disagree, Now while I agree the whole Chimchar backstory has kinda faded into the black, but I still think Chimchar is one of the best pokemon on team Sinnoh. Not only has It proved itself in just about every battle, If the writer had given Ash another Sinnoh Poke it more than likely would've ended up like Gliscor

I agree that Chimchar is one of the strongest. It's just not the most loved.

I bet people are mad still bout te Iron island arc lol

I'm sure ... but Lucario beat some helpless mind controlled Pokemon with a x4 weakness to Fighting Attacks in the face with Close Combat. What's there not to love about that?

I just want to know a good episode for himt to evolve.

They should all be gathered around the picnic table and Chimchar just evolve at the beginning of the filler. Ash says " wowzers " and then puts Monferno in the Pokeball to begin his mediocre adventure!

and then a trade where chimchar would get double EXP point

... because we all know how Ash loves to Level Grind. Huck. Huck. Huck.

I think the writers waited a fair amount of time before Chimchar's evolution. Chimchar needed a big win for himself before evolution, enough time to get over Paul and bond more with Ash, and be at the right time and place for it's evolution to take place (in front of Paul, to be more precise). As far as I'm concerned, the writers have done just that.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Now after Chimchar won Abomasnow,it will be stupid if he will evolve.
Because if he can win the strongest pokemon while he is a Chimchar, so why he need to evolve?

Imagine Ash's Treecko was winning Norman's Slaking, and Winnona's Swellow, and then evolve. It's useless and stupid.
Why they're doing that he will evolve after that he won the strongest pokemon of a Gym leader?
They need to do it after some loses.

HoennMaster

Honestly, I'm not too disappointed. I know Monferno is coming and I can wait. I'm actually glad it hasn't evolved in Gym Battles. Had it evolved in Canalave then Gliscor wouldn't of have much attention, and it would have been rushed and easy win at Snowpoint.

It is pretty funny that Buizel used to be used so much and then they toned down on it.

And a good thing it was.

Because if he can win the strongest pokemon while he is a Chimchar, so why he need to evolve?
They need to do it after some loses.

That would be useless and stupid. Do you think before posting. It's evolving, we already know that. Beating a Gym Leader's strongest Pokémon does not mean it doesn't need to evolve.

Oh by the way, Gliscor did not use Pound in the gym battle, ha.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
That would be useless and stupid. Do you think before posting. It's evolving, we already know that. Beating a Gym Leader's strongest Pokémon does not mean it doesn't need to evolve.

Oh by the way, Gliscor did not use Pound in the gym battle, ha.

If as a Chimchar he beating the strongest pokemon of two Gym leaders, it doesn't need to evolve. It's allready strong.

Oh by the way, Gliscor did use Pound in the gym battle, ha.

HoennMaster

No, it just hit Snover with its tail.

You really don't pay attention to what you write do you. first you say it doesn't need to evolve, then you say it needs to evolve after losing. Think before speaking.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
No, it just hit Snover with its tail.

You really don't pay attention to what you write do you. first you say it doesn't need to evolve, then you say it needs to evolve after losing. Think before speaking.

Imagine now if Staravia was winning Honchkrow without evolving.
So he is strong enough as a Staravia, and he doesn't need to evolve.

In the real, Staravia was weaker than Honchkrow, so he evolved.

But Chimchar is odd. It seems he can win any rival now, so he doesn't need to evolve until someone will crash him (like Honchkrow hit Staravia)