• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you ever ashamed of being a Pokémon fan?

Swagmander

I just recently thought I was the one of the only Pokemon players on my college campus, but it turns out there are a lot of students who play Pokemon, even ones I would never expect to.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
Not really, it's something I've been brougth up to and it's great, though I guess it's not really something you would talk to your friends about at the dinner table, though it does depend on what your friends like :).

bjt243

no!!!!! well maybe a little when my friends young 5 year olds are going crazy about the pokemon games they want for christmas and i dont admit that i already have them haha. im only freakin 25- how did that happen so fast!???

Sohryu

Be a Man!
These mega form changes are probably the worst thing to come out of this franchise but it's such a small and pointless gimmick it could never compromise a fandom I've held for over two thirds of my life. I will moan though, not going to lie.

I really was like "WTF they're doing" when I discovered we'd have Mega Evolutions. And I'm not a big fan of this, though it does make some pokemom more useable, such as Mawile and Ampharos. They could just update their a stats by some amount, though. And Mawile needed a evolution, not that Mega thing.

I'm okay with the fairy type, Kalos is beautiful, trainer customisation and some brilliant gen 6 Pokemon (overall we got quality over quantity - I think I have more favourites out of this gen than gen 5) so Pokemon is definitely staying in my life.

I can't say I'm fine with some designs of gen 6, indeed, I am not. Though it's unlikely I'll stop playing this game because of that. Even if those (few) pokemon were not appealing to me, the game is still great and it's hard to stop playing it after, like, 10 years playing it. And perhaps, gen 7 will focus on new pokemon more, like gen 5.

Cyber Robert

Shockingly Lovely
Am I ashamed of being a fan of Pokemon? No, I love the series. Though I consistently looked down on by family members, but I honestly stopped caring a long time ago.

I am sometimes ashamed to be associated with the fanbase, however. Not the worst, but they can get pretty bad about it.
no!!!!! well maybe a little when my friends young 5 year olds are going crazy about the pokemon games they want for christmas and i dont admit that i already have them haha. im only freakin 25- how did that happen so fast!???

You level-grinded of course. :p

garretslarrity

Unova Champion
I posted on this thread a while back, and since then, things have changed a lot. Yes, I'm talking about X and Y. X and Y proved to me that Pokemon is still crazy popular, even in high school. For example, about two weeks ago, I was playing X in my school's cafeteria, and someone comes up on my local Passerby! I then challenged that person to a battle, and he accepted. After the battle was over, I go over to find him and introduce myself. My point is that in my situation Pokemon is so popular that it's not even something you could be ashamed of!

No. Never. I get teased about it, but idc

that1chick

Pokemon Breeder
Sometimes. I get a lot of people who think I'm too old for Pokemon or some people who used to be into it and now think it's stupid. Though I have a few friends who are really into it so it makes me feel better that I like it. I don't go around announcing that I play Pokemon, but when someone asks me I don't deny it either.

Cressy

If you love Pokemon, theres no reason to be ashamed in liking it. That being said, I've never felt ashamed for like it. lol It's my fav game and idc if people diss on me for it. And there's still plenty of people who like it.

Never been embarrassed about the games. There's nothing more fun than a battle. The anime's a little childish though. I wish they had another anime directed at older audiences.

NinjaJesus

Johto Fanboy
Not at all now. Back in 8th/9th grades it was a bit different because all my classmates were a bit more judgmental. Now though, in 11th grade, everyone in my year group keep to themselves and quietly respect everyone else. All my friends like pokemon in one way or another and so I am very open about it. Actually its quite weird at my school, no one i know in my grade actually hates pokemon, everyone either loves, likes, is indifferent about or respectfully dislikes it.

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
I'm never ashamed of this. It was a little iffy during elementary/middle school, however, because people thought I was weird. Especially during those times, I played Pokemon not only with very few classmates, but also with friends two to three years younger than me. Regardless, even now as a college student, I'm still a fan.
Some people who I've known for a long time irl are sometimes like, "Wait, you're still into Pokemon?!" But hey, the series itself has been part of my childhood. I even have an older cousin who still plays Pokemon and he's turning 24 this month; he named his trainer character after his two-year-old son (who is also my nephew, obviously). It sometimes makes me wonder if my cousin and I were to eventually teach him the ways of the Pokemon trainer. lol

airickuh

Lol, never have been ashamed of Pokemon!

kanrilla

Psychic trainer
I'm 19 and most of my friends still play Pokemon so I've never had any reason to be ashamed :p

Pikapi

10 years lurking
I used to be pretty ashamed of being a Pokémon fan back in 2003, since I was in the middle years of high school at the time. I'm not ashamed now though since the majority of people I know who play it are around the same age, and I have very young siblings who love it too so I have a great excuse to watch the anime still!

I can't be ashamed of being a player of a game that has been beneficial for me throughout my life. I'm a cook, and as such I change jobs often. Every place I have worked one thing I have done is get most of my coworkers playing. I started that trend back in gold and silver and have continued it to present. It has surprisingly brought a lot of people together from various groups and people. Age hasn't been a factor for me either because I have a 3 year old whom I hope to bring up as a trainer and have that as our bond. Now my wife, on the other hand, isn't so supportive but she doesn't try and stop me. She actually bought me my 3DS in order to keep playing. I stopped watching the anime though. Just hasn't developed since its origin. I have enjoyed the manga though! Great story lines and really nice artistry.

Nope, never. I've loved Pokemon since Gen2 (later played Gen1), and I'm never really ashamed to admit I play. It's just a game, after all.