• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you excited that Shigeru Ohmori seems to be taking over as Pokemon's main game director!

Xuxuba

While SM did have some interesting characters, i wouldn't say the plot itself was amazing. I can see they tried harder than your average pokemon game's plot, but i don't think they succeded at making a great one.

The protagonist didn't feel human at all. He just stood still, expressionless, acting like Lillie's bodyguard, as if he existed solely to help her with her family issues. We actually learn more about Lillie's family than our own in the entire game.

Not that i think the series should focus too much on anyone's family, i just believe it doesn't really suit a Pokémon game to focus more on someone else's relationship with their family, than our relationship with Pokémon.

Also, the conflict was ridiculous. The wormholes caused a bit of distress for like 10 seconds, before the kahunas beat the Ultra beasts (which we don't even get to see it happening). They are dangerous creatures who cause a lot of chaos and yet we barely get to see that, even in the postgame, when we go after them.

Let's talk about Lusamine's obsession with Ultra Beasts too, because it's really poorly developed. The closest thing we get to an explanation as to why she is so obsessed with them is a brief mention that Mohn disappeared when researching about the wormholes. But that would justify her being obsessed with looking for him, not her wanting to free a bunch of Ultra Beasts in that world. I know she got crazy because of Nihilego toxins, but blaiming everything on her crazyness would make her a less complex villain and just a weirda** wacko lady.

Now, when it comes to USUM, they did fix some of these problems, but they also made some things worse. Like, for example, they made an even more convoluted story with a cast that is too big for it's own good and they made Lusamine even less believable.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
While SM did have some interesting characters, i wouldn't say the plot itself was amazing. I can see they tried harder than your average pokemon game's plot, but i don't think they succeded at making a great one.

The protagonist didn't feel human at all. He just stood still, expressionless, acting like Lillie's bodyguard, as if he existed solely to help her with her family issues. We actually learn more about Lillie's family than our own in the entire game.

Not that i think the series should focus too much on anyone's family, i just believe it doesn't really suit a Pokémon game to focus more on someone else's relationship with their family, than our relationship with Pokémon.

Also, the conflict was ridiculous. The wormholes caused a bit of distress for like 10 seconds, before the kahunas beat the Ultra beasts (which we don't even get to see it happening). They are dangerous creatures who cause a lot of chaos and yet we barely get to see that, even in the postgame, when we go after them.

Let's talk about Lusamine's obsession with Ultra Beasts too, because it's really poorly developed. The closest thing we get to an explanation as to why she is so obsessed with them is a brief mention that Mohn disappeared when researching about the wormholes. But that would justify her being obsessed with looking for him, not her wanting to free a bunch of Ultra Beasts in that world. I know she got crazy because of Nihilego toxins, but blaiming everything on her crazyness would make her a less complex villain and just a weirda** wacko lady.

Now, when it comes to USUM, they did fix some of these problems, but they also made some things worse. Like, for example, they made an even more convoluted story with a cast that is too big for it's own good and they made Lusamine even less believable.
You could say that Lillie was actually the main protagonist of the story and your the supporting character.

Xuxuba

The main protagonist is always emotionless this isn’t something new
The thing is that, even if we don't get to see the MC's face expressions most of the time, the story still finds a way to make it clear that his objectives revolve around him and his relationship with pokémon.

Whether it is to protect your own pokemon from being stolen, to defend your ideals that any pokemon can be strong and that you don't need to be harsh with them in order to make them stronger, to stop pokemon from being turned into weapons of destruction, to prove that humans can have good relationships with pokemon and they should not be separated from each other, to prove you can bond with pokemon through battling....

The series was always about your relationship with pokemon and not about someone else's relationship with their family. You might say it was creative of them to completely change what the series was all about but i think creativity would be to remain loyal to the series' theme while also showing a completely new perspective on the subject, like BW did for example.

Also, the fact that pokemon games had expressionless MCs before doesn't excuse them from repeating the same mistake.
It seems like they are finally catching up on that since the LGEP's main character seems way less soulless.

You could say that Lillie was actually the main protagonist of the story and your the supporting character.
Then you are turning the player into nothing more than just a tool for Lillie's objectives. It's dehumanizing and i sure don't want to play a character that is basically someone else's muscles.

Last edited:

Marzbar

This is the guy we have to thank for Z Moves and Alolan Forms, neither of which were that great. What we actually needed rather than alternate forms was more new Pokemon (so many animal/plant kingdom options not used yet) and more mega evolutions and even regular evolutions. And Z moves are just kind of silly animation wise and broken competitively. Can't we just buff some moves and create new signature moves for those that benefited most from Z moves? And give more generous stat buffs to Pokemon rather than just +10 to random stats on criminally underpowered Pokemon.

I did like the island trial Boss Battles with stat boosts and allies and strategies etc. I did like the increased lore and storyline in the game. Some great Dex entries were in SUMO. I sometimes feel like they need to plan the lore better though. The "Strange Souvenir" item from X/Y that supposedly hints at a pokemon from a distant region is referring to the Tapus?? I don't buy it. The shoehorned inclusion of the Zygarde cells into SUMO? Lazy. If they are going to expand on previous official lore or reference older games, then do it properly and plan it better. And don't have areas on the map that never actually get used for anything, like altering cave.

BlackShadowRose

The Lost one.
S&S has actually gotten me to come back to this forum... which says something. I normally don't post unless I am really into the Pokemon game that is coming out and only continue to post if the game really clicks with me.
ORAS was good. I like it but was not a wow game for me. S&M let me down in a major way. There is only a few poekmon I love from S&M and use. I only finish threw the game play once and was not interested in going again. Which is not normally me. I will do multiple play threws. Only time I have not other then this was with B&W. I have playing pokmeon from the being R&B&Y&G but my favored gen is X&Y. Was my most active time in Pokemon. I even completed the dex in my Y etc.
I am not to happy with Ohmori due to the S&M still fresh in my mind. Though we do not know enough yet to really say it will be a repeat. After watching the trailer I am very hyped. I have a lot of hope for these games. I am perpared for the worst but hope for the best. I don't want to judge him to heavily on S&M. The game so far looks like competently different take. I know they are trying to keep pokemon interesting so there will be changes etc.
I know a lot of us might be longing for older days be it X&Y or even older.. all I am saying it is to soon to make full judgment. So I am going to just enjoy the hype. I do think I will enjoy this one though..here is hoping.

Gen82

[QUOTE="

.[/QUOTE]

A common problem with the silent protagonist.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
To be fair you're supposed to come up with their personal traits thats the point of the slient protagonist in games. When red says "..." You insert what he'd say because hes you from another game.

Orphalesion

The only real problem with the silent protagonist I have is that they gave them that happy, cheerful smile as their standard expression. Meeting your starter -> happy smile! Lusamine going full on crazy and merging with an Ultrabeast? ->happy smile!
I think it'd be perfectly fine if they'd at least allowed the PC to emote in accordance with the situation.

To be fair you're supposed to come up with their personal traits thats the point of the slient protagonist in games. When red says "..." You insert what he'd say because hes you from another game.

Not with that terrible Pokemon team he ain't...

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
S&S has actually gotten me to come back to this forum... which says something. I normally don't post unless I am really into the Pokemon game that is coming out and only continue to post if the game really clicks with me.
ORAS was good. I like it but was not a wow game for me. S&M let me down in a major way. There is only a few poekmon I love from S&M and use. I only finish threw the game play once and was not interested in going again. Which is not normally me. I will do multiple play threws. Only time I have not other then this was with B&W. I have playing pokmeon from the being R&B&Y&G but my favored gen is X&Y. Was my most active time in Pokemon. I even completed the dex in my Y etc.
I am not to happy with Ohmori due to the S&M still fresh in my mind. Though we do not know enough yet to really say it will be a repeat. After watching the trailer I am very hyped. I have a lot of hope for these games. I am perpared for the worst but hope for the best. I don't want to judge him to heavily on S&M. The game so far looks like competently different take. I know they are trying to keep pokemon interesting so there will be changes etc.
I know a lot of us might be longing for older days be it X&Y or even older.. all I am saying it is to soon to make full judgment. So I am going to just enjoy the hype. I do think I will enjoy this one though..here is hoping.
I agree with every word.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
The only real problem with the silent protagonist I have is that they gave them that happy, cheerful smile as their standard expression. Meeting your starter -> happy smile! Lusamine going full on crazy and merging with an Ultrabeast? ->happy smile!
I think it'd be perfectly fine if they'd at least allowed the PC to emote in accordance with the situation.

Not with that terrible Pokemon team he ain't...
Sorry but they can't give red a team of 6 mewtwo at level 100 that we got through hackong the game :p

Joking aside the 3 starters are for anyone who chose any of them, if you chose bulbasuar hus venasuar is the venasuar you finished the game with and etc. Pikachu for those who played yellow (also mascot privilege) snorlax for those who caught the snorlaxs sleeping on the road and lapras because of sliph co (and espeon because wynaught)

Orphalesion

Sorry but they can't give red a team of 6 mewtwo at level 100 that we got through hackong the game :p

Joking aside the 3 starters are for anyone who chose any of them, if you chose bulbasuar hus venasuar is the venasuar you finished the game with and etc. Pikachu for those who played yellow (also mascot privilege) snorlax for those who caught the snorlaxs sleeping on the road and lapras because of sliph co (and espeon because wynaught)

I know why they chose those Pokemon, but if that character is me, he'd rather jump off a cliff than using Pikachu, Snorlax, Charizard and Lapras. So that doesn't really work. Plus sticking so close to that idea invalidates everyone who chose a female PC.

Sulfurian

Masuda from interviews clearly lost his touch after GO released. But with how horrible the 3Ds games were in terms of content I hope he finds a balance. It's not even about good story anymore just let me have more things to do with my pokemon that I've put time into. Something along the lines of festival plaza but actually functions is a start.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I liked the story of Sun and Moon. But Ohmori plays it too safe with sequels and remakes. ORAS had quite a fun Delta episode but it didn't mingle well enough with the main plot. It felt like a spinoff DLC added at the last minute. He's never given us a really nice postgame even neglecting the Battle frontier in Hoenn.

Ultra Sun and Moon were major disappointments. After seeing all of the character development of the first games go out the window.Everyone was so ready to see what new directions Lillie, Hau and Gladion would go in. But I just felt regret and despair the minute I saw Lillie once again being a scared little kid not being ready to cross that bridge. I thought we'd gotten past that through the Gen V sequels. Ohmori is clearly to happy to step back over old ground and that's isn't what I want in a pokemon game anymore.

I have bigger problems than that with the silent protagonists TBH. Pokemon is an adventure story but the player has little influence on the dialogue and none on the plot. The protagonist is silent because the way the player feels about each and every character has absolutely no effect on anything. If these developers were making a new pokemon-like franchise, no way would they get away without major crticisism for that.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m not really too sure how I feel. Given his track record with ORAS & the Alola Games, I’m just hoping that Sword & Shield feel more like complete pokémon games & you don’t NEED to get the sequels or whatever main series games come out in Gen 8 to get the full experience

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I’m not really too sure how I feel. Given his track record with ORAS & the Alola Games, I’m just hoping that Sword & Shield feel more like complete pokémon games & you don’t NEED to get the sequels or whatever main series games come out in Gen 8 to get the full experience
Worse. He doesn't do sequels. He does alternate universes with slightly different twists and turns, but still largely the same history. *points at USUM*

Orphalesion

Worse. He doesn't do sequels. He does alternate universes with slightly different twists and turns, but still largely the same history. *points at USUM*

Even worse....he does alternative universes with slightly different twist and turns, but still alrgely the same history....with the main plot ending up *worse* than in the original, non-enhanced version *points at Lusamine in USUM*