• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Are you excited that Shigeru Ohmori seems to be taking over as Pokemon's main game director!

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What's so forgettable about a guy suddenly showing up to stop you from advancing into the league with a scary team lineup out of nowhere.
EVERY. FRIENDLY. PROTAGONIST. EVER. Also I'd say his "scary" team is debatable even by Gen 3 standards.

But yeah. Not a lot of people really seemed to start talking about Wally until Pokemon Adventures Ruby & Sapphire and then several years later, ORAS. I suppose it has to do with the fact that Ruby and Sapphire's 2D sprite work really held back Wally's story that he just seemed like the start of a friendly rival trend rather than anything that stands out to most people back than. Don't know about you but I find the change in-reaction from "Who's Wally?" to "OH MY GOD! WALLY IS SUCH A BADASS!" quite interesting.

sunny phoenix

Not really....
His games are my least played ones... Especially SM, its unalterable to play it again... u need 10 minutes just to have everyone stfu and let u do your thing! and even after that every 3 steps someone appears to bug you and take your hand... i also hated how trainers had only 1 or 2 pkmn and the trial leader only 3... While Alola seemed to be great for exploration in the end it was really empty... Also let me not start with the Alolan variants such a great concept so terrible executed...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I guess I should ask first, but this is a general questions for anyone to answer on the forum but what extra content can they add to make the games better? Let's be fair, pokemon has always been casual. They aren't going to change that because that's their core audience and if they did they would lose that audience immediately. But I want to see some more examples that could benefit these games.

I've seen fan faves such as BF (not a fan personally) and VS Seeker ( should definitely come back) but I'm curious about what you would you think? I'm definitely up for rematch able trainers, some tournaments (as seen from the maps) and higher difficulty (definitely a must!), but I just want to understand your point a bit more.

Pokemon was always casual to some degree, but the recent games have taken it up to 11. They force you in a certain direction the entire game with no real optional paths (at best maybe a dungeon off to the side). They've removed a lot of the sidequests/minigames with actual depth like Contests and Secret Bases (except for ORAS, where it was only in because it was in the originals, but every other game is pretty much lacking these kinds of features). Post game areas have been almost nonexistent, we don't really get entire sections like the Sevii Islands or the Battle Zone. And battle facilities have basically been disappearing. Those are the kinds of things I want to see return.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Pokemon was always casual to some degree, but the recent games have taken it up to 11. They force you in a certain direction the entire game with no real optional paths (at best maybe a dungeon off to the side). They've removed a lot of the sidequests/minigames with actual depth like Contests and Secret Bases (except for ORAS, where it was only in because it was in the originals, but every other game is pretty much lacking these kinds of features). Post game areas have been almost nonexistent, we don't really get entire sections like the Sevii Islands or the Battle Zone. And battle facilities have basically been disappearing. Those are the kinds of things I want to see return.

I disagree to an extent. I do think gen 7 railroaded you too hard and definitely needed to let up a little, but USUM had plenty of sidequests that expanded the games lore and gave you some nice items if you needed it. They aren't super complex but they certainly add onto the experience . The minigames are also pretty debatable in itself. I, for, am glad they did not bring back super training or pokemon amie mini games as since I'm older, I don't necessarily have the time to go through the same repetitive thing over and over, and then forget where am I'm at. I much prefer a passive system in which I can train my pokemon, but still check up on them.

As for Contests and Secret Bases I never really cared about them too much, but I have completed them. I wouldn't call them substantial though. A video called "An Exhaustive Review of Omega Ruby" really did a good job about how useless the Contests really are. I recommend the video because it really highlights the best and worst parts of the franchise in a pretty concise manner.

You can literally go through the game without doing them and they barely add onto anything with the experience. The only real benefit I got from them was raising a Feebas (which you don't even need to do anymore to get a Milotic), but even then the pokeblocks you give to the pokemon you have don't really help you outside of that. I'd argue refresh and amie did more than Contests could hope to achieve. Not to mention that you can ridiculously sweep through them if you have the Cosplay Pikachu. This doesn't mean they can't add them back, but I wouldn't go to that as a main stay compared to other better features such as the VS Seeker & A harder difficulty. Something which USUM have that X/Y don't.

Secret Bases were guaranteed to be Hoenn's staple. You could ask the question why that HAS to be, but I understand they wouldn't want to bring back such a minimal feature. Don't get me wrong, making a base is cool, but I never really saw it as a benefit to the gameplay as a whole. In the remakes you obvious have the infamous "Blissey Bases" but that's literally just for grinding. And in gen 6 you really don't need to grind unless you're desperate. Those games are easier enough already.

As for post game stuff, in my opinion the Sevii Islands don't really offer too much. They have some cool ideas with them, but the problem is that every island became really samey after a certain point fulled with battle after battle. And once you finish that, there's nothing much left to offer. You get breeding, some cool pokemon and a little bit of TR stuff, but that's literally it.

The Battle Zone on the other hand I can totally see wanting back or something like it.
Probably one of the better handling of the post-game facilities. There's plenty more to do despite not liking the BF that much (at least for me). I will say that I think the Battle Tree, UB sidequests, Ultra Wormholes, PhotoClub, Totem Stickers, and Mantine Surfing are fun activities to do after game is done. I wouldn't call the post game in Alola non-existent.

Battle facilities haven't disappeared. They just didn't copy the same facility over and over this time. We got the Battle Frontier 3 times in 2 separate gens. It wasn't until gen 5 they finally changed it. And then in gen 6 you get the Battle Maison which is okay. Not bad, but just okay in my opinion. At least in the Battle Tree you have the appeal of wanting to pair up with characters you like. While in Gen 6 you literally had nothing to do other than the Battle Maison, the Legendary Bird, Zygarde and the Looker Quest(which is surprisingly decent). As I said, Ohmori is by no means a perfect director, but I vastly prefer his work (S/M) to Masuda's more recent work. (X/Y)

DaijobuPlease

Personally for me I think black and whites story was one of the best, the game had less hand holding, the characters even though not as lively is skull were great like Ns whole dark theme and liberation of pokemon. Then that post game hard mode where the levels spiked and every mon in the wild was high leveled, the characters actually had strats and high level mons at like 60 made it so much better to grind and did not hurt my soul when grinding on low level 40 cap mons instead they were in the 60s. I would love a blend of BW with the life of SM but none of that movie like gameplay of SM. They are capable of story telling and hardness (Mystery Dungeon) they just need to apply it to pokemon. Make a hard mode and easy mode if you still want to cater to kids. So many games have it even a "kids" game called kingdom hearts has it, its about time pokemon gets it.

Baggie_Saiyan

I agree my main problem with B&W was how dull Unova was and the region map was terrible hated it. Also people say Gen 5 was hard, it really wasn't it's just we didn't have all these extra gimmicks. Hand holding I am fine as in telling us where to go etc with as long as the gimmicks are still optional.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Personally for me I think black and whites story was one of the best, the game had less hand holding, the characters even though not as lively is skull were great like Ns whole dark theme and liberation of pokemon. Then that post game hard mode where the levels spiked and every mon in the wild was high leveled, the characters actually had strats and high level mons at like 60 made it so much better to grind and did not hurt my soul when grinding on low level 40 cap mons instead they were in the 60s. I would love a blend of BW with the life of SM but none of that movie like gameplay of SM. They are capable of story telling and hardness (Mystery Dungeon) they just need to apply it to pokemon. Make a hard mode and easy mode if you still want to cater to kids. So many games have it even a "kids" game called kingdom hearts has it, its about time pokemon gets it.

The mystery dungeon games weren't developed by GF. They were developed by a separate company, Spike Chunsoft. That's why the story was so different to what were used to doing. In
a way because it was a spin-off they could take chances they usually wouldn't find in main games.

That being said we probably aren't getting a story like the Mystery Dungeon games considering a) they're spinoffs and GF could care less about them compared to the main games, b) different development team, and c) the games were rated poorly sadly.

I wouldn't mind a game with a mix of elements from Black and White with the story bits in S/M. I'm down for that.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Remakes and main series games are completely two different things. Especially as most of the remake's story is already locked down and out of their control.
And I think ORAS were amazing games, not quite at HGSS level but they were great remakes!

He'd also be responsible for Hau, Gladion, Guzma, Lillie, and Zinnia. If we can get more characters like that and less Serena/Shauna/Tierno/Trevor/Whatever those Flare girls are called then I'm all for it!
I loved ORAS as well. But No ty for another Hau-like character. He was annoyin. Same as Lillie.
Furthermore, I wanted to replay SM/USUM but I just CANT because of the cutscenes. They are REALLY too much. How did the directors expect for people to replay these games??? So far SwSh seems promising and I hope wont have these horrible cutscenes or atleast an option to skip 'em.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I disagree to an extent. I do think gen 7 railroaded you too hard and definitely needed to let up a little, but USUM had plenty of sidequests that expanded the games lore and gave you some nice items if you needed it. They aren't super complex but they certainly add onto the experience . The minigames are also pretty debatable in itself. I, for, am glad they did not bring back super training or pokemon amie mini games as since I'm older, I don't necessarily have the time to go through the same repetitive thing over and over, and then forget where am I'm at. I much prefer a passive system in which I can train my pokemon, but still check up on them.

As for Contests and Secret Bases I never really cared about them too much, but I have completed them. I wouldn't call them substantial though. A video called "An Exhaustive Review of Omega Ruby" really did a good job about how useless the Contests really are. I recommend the video because it really highlights the best and worst parts of the franchise in a pretty concise manner.

You can literally go through the game without doing them and they barely add onto anything with the experience. The only real benefit I got from them was raising a Feebas (which you don't even need to do anymore to get a Milotic), but even then the pokeblocks you give to the pokemon you have don't really help you outside of that. I'd argue refresh and amie did more than Contests could hope to achieve. Not to mention that you can ridiculously sweep through them if you have the Cosplay Pikachu. This doesn't mean they can't add them back, but I wouldn't go to that as a main stay compared to other better features such as the VS Seeker & A harder difficulty. Something which USUM have that X/Y don't.

Secret Bases were guaranteed to be Hoenn's staple. You could ask the question why that HAS to be, but I understand they wouldn't want to bring back such a minimal feature. Don't get me wrong, making a base is cool, but I never really saw it as a benefit to the gameplay as a whole. In the remakes you obvious have the infamous "Blissey Bases" but that's literally just for grinding. And in gen 6 you really don't need to grind unless you're desperate. Those games are easier enough already.

You're not understanding what I mean by sidequests/minigames. I'm referring to extra content like Contests and Secret Bases that you could invest a lot of time into and work towards completing. Other examples include the Pokeathlon, Pokestar Studios, and Join Avenue. The more recent minigames like Pokemon Amie, PR Videos, and the Photo Club just don't have as much depth.

As for post game stuff, in my opinion the Sevii Islands don't really offer too much. They have some cool ideas with them, but the problem is that every island became really samey after a certain point fulled with battle after battle. And once you finish that, there's nothing much left to offer. You get breeding, some cool pokemon and a little bit of TR stuff, but that's literally it.

The Battle Zone on the other hand I can totally see wanting back or something like it.
Probably one of the better handling of the post-game facilities. There's plenty more to do despite not liking the BF that much (at least for me). I will say that I think the Battle Tree, UB sidequests, Ultra Wormholes, PhotoClub, Totem Stickers, and Mantine Surfing are fun activities to do after game is done. I wouldn't call the post game in Alola non-existent.

The point is that new areas are huge for content, you take time figuring out how to navigate them and that adds more than say, the Mirage Spots in ORAS or the Ultra Wormholes which you can finish in like, a minute.

Battle facilities haven't disappeared. They just didn't copy the same facility over and over this time. We got the Battle Frontier 3 times in 2 separate gens. It wasn't until gen 5 they finally changed it. And then in gen 6 you get the Battle Maison which is okay. Not bad, but just okay in my opinion. At least in the Battle Tree you have the appeal of wanting to pair up with characters you like. While in Gen 6 you literally had nothing to do other than the Battle Maison, the Legendary Bird, Zygarde and the Looker Quest(which is surprisingly decent). As I said, Ohmori is by no means a perfect director, but I vastly prefer his work (S/M) to Masuda's more recent work. (X/Y)

The Battle Frontier isn't one facility though, it's a collection of multiple battle facilities. So you can't just count it as one battle facility copy/pasted over and over again, you have to look at Emerald's as a collection of 7 battle facilities, and Platinum/HGSS's as a collection of 5. On the other hand, the battle facilities since, while technically different, are mainly generic Battle Tower clones. The only one that isn't is USUM's Battle Agency, which is a clone of the Battle Factory, the second most overused facility in the series. There's definitely a lack in quantity and creativity with the newer battle facilities.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
You're not understanding what I mean by sidequests/minigames. I'm referring to extra content like Contests and Secret Bases that you could invest a lot of time into and work towards completing.

No, I get you. I just listed Pokemon Amie and such as examples because they affect the gameplay more substantially. I enjoyed Contests and things alongside that, but it's not worth investing in them because they literally offer you the bare minimum in terms of content compared to the rest of the game. What is the point of investing in secret bases to get certain perks like "raising an egg" or "picking up stones" or contests to raise a pokemon's "beauty" or coolness"? You can't use those features for anything else in the game. And why would you when we literally have the Daycare and Poke Pelago to do all of that with an even smaller time frame.

I mentioned making a base is a cool idea, but I'd much rather they invest in other quality of life changes like rematchable trainers, higher difficulty and such. I just find those things more important. Maybe it's just me, because the side content in pokemon was never my personal main focus as I only cared about the main campaign 90% of the time, but it seems pointless to invest so much work into a feature that you can easily skip without any questions asked.

Other examples include the Pokeathlon, Pokestar Studios, and Join Avenue. The more recent minigames like Pokemon Amie, PR Videos, and the Photo Club just don't have as much depth.

Pokeathlon, Pokestar Studios, and Join Avenue work very as one time things. I'm not at all against seeing a revised version of these things coming back. And using the contest example from earlier I feel the Pokeathlon did offer more than Contests as it was something you could invest your time into that also affected you gameplay advantages in the main campaign. E.G. evolution stones. Pokemon Amie does this even further ( almost broken to an extent) with how just caring for your pokemon gives you an EXP boost and allows you to dodge more attacks and gain critical hits more. I find it rewarding for people who do choose to invest in it because it affects the other parts of the game. Contests being limited to one section of the game was it's biggest downfall. I felt like they could've made it more immersive by adding those things from Amie. Maybe if they made a combo of both I would be more happy with it.

PR Videos are a fun tool to mess with as well as Photo Club, but I agree they could've easily taken them out for better features. I understand why people like them a lot, but I do agree they aren't as fun as the facilities above. I think the main problem GF has is that they constantly have to find an equivalent for a feature that works perfectly fine. This is why we get things like FP when PSS already worked. I think keeping things like Join Avenue + Poke Pelago as a joined place for breeding, hatching, etc, is the much better move to make.

The point is that new areas are huge for content, you take time figuring out how to navigate them and that adds more than say, the Mirage Spots in ORAS or the Ultra Wormholes which you can finish in like, a minute.

I can agree with that. I appreciate the lore of trying to create different worlds for each of the UBs, but I do wish they could've expanded upon them more. However, as someone who shiny hunts I appreciate the increased odds in the Wormholes. As for Mirage Spots, I get the purpose of them (to catch the legendaries before the end of each gen), but I think I think the lore behind them could've been explained better. At least in S/M/USUM it was established aliens existed in that world already. Hoopa was super obscure in ORAS.

The Battle Frontier isn't one facility though, it's a collection of multiple battle facilities. So you can't just count it as one battle facility copy/pasted over and over again, you have to look at Emerald's as a collection of 7 battle facilities, and Platinum/HGSS's as a collection of 5. On the other hand, the battle facilities since, while technically different, are mainly generic Battle Tower clones. The only one that isn't is USUM's Battle Agency, which is a clone of the Battle Factory, the second most overused facility in the series. There's definitely a lack in quantity and creativity with the newer battle facilities.

I'm sorry I should've clarified what I meant. It is a collection of multiple battle facilities, but they are still the same type of multiple battle facilities. All of them do offer some form of items and rankings to use, but the main problem I always had with them was that it was at the end of the game. Some of the items they give would've been waaaay more useful before the end of the game. And even then, all of them follow the same type of gimmicks.

I wouldn't mind it the first couple of times, but when you copy it three times, that's when you should just drop it and give us something new. lol They should've just given us a better concept then give us another repeat of a battle facilities. It also doesn't help that in an already easy games it's a pretty huge difficulty spike and while that is not bad, the game never prepares you for it. When was the last time you used Resto-Chesto in a regular trainer battle? I feel there is this level of disconnect you get when you go from one shot=ting trainers to having to actually study a bit of competitive battling. But even back then, GF REFUSES (to this day) to even explain the basics of EVs / IVs, something pretty substantial to help you with the battle frontier. It wasn't until I picked up on this stuff you begin to realize how weird it was they made it that way. Not to say any of the facilities are necessarily bad, but I feel things like PWT or PokePelago were better options that had more of an effect on the gameplay without being a weird jump. (Then again, this is part of my personal bias as while I completed these facilities they are far from my favorites in the franchise)

I do agree that they should stop cloning the battle tower, but I wouldn't necessarily say that the battle tree is uncreative. In gen 6, yeah the Battle Maison is bland. However, having a battle tree in which you fight with characters you like (that you have to unlock first) is a fun idea that I actually liked from S/M/USUM. Because there's more of that connection to those characters than "random 4 girls you fight". P tried this too mind you, but I'd much rather it be fans favorites than people I barely knew. I still completely agree though that they should stop trying to replicate those, but even then, I can't say too much I guess because I was never a fan of the original ones to begin with.

Don't even get me started on the Battle Agency. I'll start ranting for weeks!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
No, I get you. I just listed Pokemon Amie and such as examples because they affect the gameplay more substantially. I enjoyed Contests and things alongside that, but it's not worth investing in them because they literally offer you the bare minimum in terms of content compared to the rest of the game. What is the point of investing in secret bases to get certain perks like "raising an egg" or "picking up stones" or contests to raise a pokemon's "beauty" or coolness"? You can't use those features for anything else in the game. And why would you when we literally have the Daycare and Poke Pelago to do all of that with an even smaller time frame.

I mentioned making a base is a cool idea, but I'd much rather they invest in other quality of life changes like rematchable trainers, higher difficulty and such. I just find those things more important. Maybe it's just me, because the side content in pokemon was never my personal main focus as I only cared about the main campaign 90% of the time, but it seems pointless to invest so much work into a feature that you can easily skip without any questions asked.

Pokeathlon, Pokestar Studios, and Join Avenue work very as one time things. I'm not at all against seeing a revised version of these things coming back. And using the contest example from earlier I feel the Pokeathlon did offer more than Contests as it was something you could invest your time into that also affected you gameplay advantages in the main campaign. E.G. evolution stones. Pokemon Amie does this even further ( almost broken to an extent) with how just caring for your pokemon gives you an EXP boost and allows you to dodge more attacks and gain critical hits more. I find it rewarding for people who do choose to invest in it because it affects the other parts of the game. Contests being limited to one section of the game was it's biggest downfall. I felt like they could've made it more immersive by adding those things from Amie. Maybe if they made a combo of both I would be more happy with it.

PR Videos are a fun tool to mess with as well as Photo Club, but I agree they could've easily taken them out for better features. I understand why people like them a lot, but I do agree they aren't as fun as the facilities above. I think the main problem GF has is that they constantly have to find an equivalent for a feature that works perfectly fine. This is why we get things like FP when PSS already worked. I think keeping things like Join Avenue + Poke Pelago as a joined place for breeding, hatching, etc, is the much better move to make.

I mean, having gameplay perks is definitely beneficial, but whether or not it relates to the main gameplay is irrelevant. It's just about having fun activities to pass the time. What separates Contests, Secret Bases, Pokeathlon, Pokestar Studios, and Join Avenue from Pokemon Amie, PR Videos, and the Photo Club. The former have a lot more depth and last a lot longer. The latter are shallow activities that you can experience everything there is to experience in a matter of minutes.

I'm sorry I should've clarified what I meant. It is a collection of multiple battle facilities, but they are still the same type of multiple battle facilities. All of them do offer some form of items and rankings to use, but the main problem I always had with them was that it was at the end of the game. Some of the items they give would've been waaaay more useful before the end of the game. And even then, all of them follow the same type of gimmicks.

I wouldn't mind it the first couple of times, but when you copy it three times, that's when you should just drop it and give us something new. lol They should've just given us a better concept then give us another repeat of a battle facilities. It also doesn't help that in an already easy games it's a pretty huge difficulty spike and while that is not bad, the game never prepares you for it. When was the last time you used Resto-Chesto in a regular trainer battle? I feel there is this level of disconnect you get when you go from one shot=ting trainers to having to actually study a bit of competitive battling. But even back then, GF REFUSES (to this day) to even explain the basics of EVs / IVs, something pretty substantial to help you with the battle frontier. It wasn't until I picked up on this stuff you begin to realize how weird it was they made it that way. Not to say any of the facilities are necessarily bad, but I feel things like PWT or PokePelago were better options that had more of an effect on the gameplay without being a weird jump. (Then again, this is part of my personal bias as while I completed these facilities they are far from my favorites in the franchise)

I do agree that they should stop cloning the battle tower, but I wouldn't necessarily say that the battle tree is uncreative. In gen 6, yeah the Battle Maison is bland. However, having a battle tree in which you fight with characters you like (that you have to unlock first) is a fun idea that I actually liked from S/M/USUM. Because there's more of that connection to those characters than "random 4 girls you fight". P tried this too mind you, but I'd much rather it be fans favorites than people I barely knew. I still completely agree though that they should stop trying to replicate those, but even then, I can't say too much I guess because I was never a fan of the original ones to begin with.

Don't even get me started on the Battle Agency. I'll start ranting for weeks!

Um... what? They've pretty much always been like that, the newer ones aren't really any different in that way. At least the Battle Frontier facilities have unique ideas, none of the newer ones do things like having the Pokemon choose their own moves based on their nature, sticking with 1 Pokemon throughout the entire facility, or anything like that.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
He should bring Pokemon in a darker direction. It's something the franchise really needs.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
He should bring Pokemon in a darker direction. It's something the franchise really needs.
No I don't think quite so but I think I get what your saying. This is a common little rapid discussion in the Pokemon Adventures section on what exactly it's tone is and most of have agreed that it's not really dark and it doesn't need to be dark. It's a light-hearted but mature take on Pokemon and that perfect balance of light-hearted magic and a mature tone is what the Pokemon series should focus on in terms of the story or world's atmosphere and the thing is it already has. The difference between Kanto and Alola is that were just seeing more of it. So we will most likely see this once again in Sword & Shield.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I'm more worried than excited tbh, alola wasn't really that interesting of a region to explore as many routes, caves, and even towns/cities were pretty much just hallways, unlike say, unova, which while linear still had interesting routes, dungeons, and cities. Also worry about there not being much of actual substance to do in the postgame, we'll most likely get the usual postgame short storyline, but after that what? Battle tower knockoff #12342133 and unintersting legendary hunt where you find a portal and just walk up to it?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Not really excited, because SM lacked in a lot of regards imo. I am willing to give him a chance as there were clear signs (including from interviews) that SM were rushed and LGPE would have afforded Game Freak some more time with SS - but I hope that it'd be better in various aspects (linearity, postgame content) than previous titles Ohmori has been responsbile for as lead.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm a bit on the fence with Ohmori, given Gen 7 is my least favorite generation.

I worry he may not be able to break from the linear gameplay he focused so deeply on in Sun and Moon. He does have a keen eye for detail, though, I'll give him that.

Who knows? Maybe he'll surprise us.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
While the handholding in Gen 7 was awful, I think the storytelling was amazing. Gen 6 had much to be desired. I barely remember any Gym leaders or characters from XY, Zygarde got shafted, lore was weak... Kalos region deserved more than it got. It could have been top notch in worldbuilding but instead XY is forgettable. So I'm all for a new director.